Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2001, 06:23 AM   #1
Epona
Zartan

For all those recipes and cooking ideas you want to share.
All welcome, whatever the dish.
I'm just finding a recipe now, I'll post it in a minute. I'll also post a link to the last recipe thread if I can find it!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 09-01-2001, 06:26 AM   #2
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

WoooHooo! I'm a bit drained right now, but I have a TON of good recipes!

Keep the thread goin' until tomarrow!

------------------

Proud new member of LH!
Old 09-01-2001, 06:37 AM   #3
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Are cake recipes allowed too?
Anyways, here's my favorite recipe:

Potato-Gratin
Ingredients:
1 kilogram potatoes
1/4 liter milk
1/4 liter cream
some garlic
1 teaspoon salt (I'm not sure about this one)
some pepper
grated Gouda cheese (you can use another kind if there is no Gouda available, just use a mild one)

Mix the milk and the cream together. Add salt (I'm not sure if it was 1 teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon so add salt slowly and check), pepper and garlic. Mix well. Peel and slice the potatoes. Put one layer of slices on the bottom of a souffle (?) form. Scatter some cheese over the potatos. Pour some of the milk-cream mixture over it, then make a new layer of potatos. Repeat this until you have used up all the potatos, then scatter cheese (more than on the other layers) on the top layer and pour the rest of the mixture over the whole. Bake at ~170 degrees Celsius, bake covered (with aluminium foil if you havnt got a cover) for 50min, then remove the cover and bake for another 10min or until the top is a nice brown color. Enjoy!

As you see, this is the bare bones of a recipe. You can add herbs, spices, mushrooms, vegetables,... I also enjoy it with onions + ham, for instance. The possibilities are endless. Bon appetit!

------------------

I am the great Kazara
Old 09-01-2001, 06:51 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Cakes are welcome, whatever you like!

Here's my current favorite recipe:

Aloo Gobi
Type: Vegetarian/Indian
Suitable as starter, main course or side-dish, adjust qty as necessary.
Serves: 4 as a main dish

Notes:
My own recipe for a well loved anglo-indian classic found in the curry-houses of England. An Indian cook would use ghee (clarified butter) instead of oil, but I prefer to use olive oil for health reasons. I find this level of chilli makes a medium hot dish, so adjust the quantity as required.
You can use a pestle & mortar or a coffee grinder to grind spices (wash it well afterwards though, or your coffee will taste very odd). Don't use a blender with nylon blades though, it won't be able to cope. Most spices can be purchased ready-ground.
Serve with plain rice or bread, or make a smaller quantity to accompany a meat curry.

Ingredients:
4 large potatoes
1/2 head of cauliflower (cut into florets)
1 large onion (chopped finely)
2 large tomatoes (cut into quarters)
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp chilli powder/cayenne (adjust according to taste)
1/4 tsp ground fennel seed
1/4 tsp ground fenugreek seed
1/4 tsp ground ginger
Oil for cooking

Method:
Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Boil in water for 10 minutes until beginning to soften, then drain.

Mix the spices together, and add enough cold water to mix to a thick paste. In a heavy pan or skillet heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add spice paste. Cook on a gentle heat until spices are sizzling, but be careful not to burn.

Add the chopped onion, and fry until onion is golden. Add cauliflower and potatoes - stir to coat with spices. Add a little water (about 200ml/8fl.oz.) and place the tomato quarters on top.

Cover pan and simmer on a low heat for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on the water in the pan - you don't want much left at the end of cooking time, but add more during cooking if necessary to prevent burning.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 09-01-2001, 08:09 AM   #5
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Epona, What is "fenugreek" seed? I've never heard of it. And if I make a chicken curry (see the Chef's thread for my passion for chicken) do I just omit the cauliflower?

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 09-01-2001, 08:16 AM   #6
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

This one is great if you have overripe bananas sitting on your counter.

Banana Bread (I don't know if this delicacy is of international fame):

3 ripe banans
3/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 egg
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon water
2 cups flour

Mash banans with fork. Blend in sugar, salt, and egg. Melt butter ans stir into mixture. Dissolve soda in water (although I am usually to impatient to wait for it to dissolve so I just throw it in. Mix it in very well or you'll end up with pockets of baking soda in the middle of your bread) and add with flour. Mix and bakd in a bread/loaf pan 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.