Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 11:35 PM   #1
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Question Mark

Hey all, a few more years ago than I care to believe I was going through basic training, and every sunday as a morale booster they would show us a war movie from some point in America's history, well probably one of my favorites was Glory. A civil war piece about the Massechusets 54th Infantry battalion, the first black regiment in the Civil War. Last week I saw it and picked it up, but didn't get a chance to actually view it again until tonight. It's still a great movie, 16 years after it's release in 1989 and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a good war movie, civil war movie, or just a good movie in general. Check it out at Netflicks, Blockbuster, or whatever your local video store chain is.

Feel free to list any other gems that might have slipped through the cracks.

{edit} Starring in it are Matthew Broderik (in arguably his best role since LadyHawk and Ferris Bueler's Day off) Morgan Freeman (I can't recall a movie of his I haven't enjoyed him in) Denzel Washington, and Cary Elwes and directed by the same man who produced the Last Samurai, Traffic, Shakespeare in Love, and directed Last Samurai, Courage Under Fire, and Legends of the Fall among others.

[ 02-26-2005, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 02-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

This really sounds like something I'd like to watch. Thanks for the find, Morgue!

Hmm... now I guess I have to give a proposition, right? Well, the all-black thing here reminded me of another movie with the same racial thematic: Tuskegee Airmen from '95. Laurence Fishburne, Cooba Gooding Jr, Mekhi Phifer and John Lithgow are the tars of the story about the first ever black air force group.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

You watched movies in basic training? What service were you in? BTW, Glory was an excellent movie, and well deserving of the numerous awards it recieved.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:39 PM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

[img]tongue.gif[/img] lol, the US Army, hence my location. I'm not sure if they still do it, or how long they've been doing it, but it exposed me to some movies I never would have seen otherwise, like Memphis Bell and Glory, and let me review some other classics, like John Wayne's Green Beret and Sgt York.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I always referred to that movie as "Gory." [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

LOL, it's not nearly as bad as the battle scenes from Saving Private Ryan, or a host of other war movies, heck even the patriot which is fairly tame has it's fair share of scenes that are worse.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:53 PM   #7
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Morgeruat is right, its not gory at all, hell, I cut myself with my toenail (dont't ask) and saw more blood then with this movie.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote