Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2001, 04:24 PM   #11
demus
Manshoon

I pre-ordered it and got it on the day of release. I played it for a while, and got quite far but eventually gave up for a while. Yes, its very original, yes it has immense promise/potential, yes it is funny and good fun to play for a while, and yes it is probably worth buying.
However ,there are a number of negatives, the game gets a bit tedious and repetative after a while, the load times are very long, as are the save times as you get further into a level and finaly, the learning curve needs a lot of work (1st level = training, 2nd level = easy (and you have help), 3rd level = easy, but no help, 4th level = nearly impossible, 5th level = I don't know, and probably don't want to )

I would say buy it, if just for the fun value, and im sure youll enjoy it
Well, thats my verdict and my opinion (and I think a well balanced summing up of the game aswell )

oh and ogopogo, there is now a patch for the game at www.bwgame.com

------------------
Nicodemus Deathslayer, Paladin and Undead Hunter of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 06-05-2001, 04:43 PM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks you guys for the responses! Based on what I've read here, I'm going to pass on it, for the time being. I hate resource games (I'm not a danged economist!) and I'm really more into the adventure oriented ones without the micromanagement details.

I played "Celtic Tales: Balor of the Evil Eye" many years ago from KOEI, and although I liked the premise, it was WAAAY too much micromanagement for me to stomach, not to mention an arbitrary spell casting system. I'll leave those type of games to those who enjoy that and continue with hack-n-slash. When a game becomes too much like a job, I'm no longer interested.

Thanks once again for your comments. That definitely helped!

Old 06-05-2001, 05:04 PM   #13
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Thanks you guys for the responses! Based on what I've read here, I'm going to pass on it, for the time being. I hate resource games (I'm not a danged economist!) and I'm really more into the adventure oriented ones without the micromanagement details.

I played "Celtic Tales: Balor of the Evil Eye" many years ago from KOEI, and although I liked the premise, it was WAAAY too much micromanagement for me to stomach, not to mention an arbitrary spell casting system. I'll leave those type of games to those who enjoy that and continue with hack-n-slash. When a game becomes too much like a job, I'm no longer interested.

Thanks once again for your comments. That definitely helped!

Well I saw some reports and screens from upcomming Dungeon Siege not long ago, seems like CRPG light, not much to do but they aim to make it more like a movie with choices and short loading times! Could really be something to look forward for!

------------------

Yawning lazywolf dreaming about nice little fairies...zzzzz
Old 06-05-2001, 05:06 PM   #14
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Well I saw some reports and screens from upcomming Dungeon Siege not long ago, seems like CRPG light, not much to do but they aim to make it more like a movie with choices and short loading times! Could really be something to look forward for!
Sounds like "Myst with a Twyst"!

Old 06-05-2001, 06:00 PM   #15
Gaelic
Elminster

I am considering trying B&W but I don't think I have time to do much with more than one game at a time.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-05-2001, 06:18 PM   #16
Shakir Do'Urden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just finished playing it. And it was Fun!!
The best part was when these 3 people were drowning in the river, and this woman was yelling at me to save them, so I saved two and let the other one drown. and THEN the woman said 'At least you had enough power to save 2 of them" so then I fed her to my animals (for being insolent to her goddess)

------------------
I will Slay you all
Old 06-05-2001, 09:51 PM   #17
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

Wow can't belive so many didn't like.micromanagment,teach your creature those simple tasks.Resource managment,I'll pretend none of us have heard of a gold cheats,in this case it's just food and wood cheats.In this case much easier tho just repeatedly tap instead of one push casting those spells over the village store and get 10 to 15 times what you should.The AI is just to real you can find yourself thinking of your creature as a thinking being all to easy.The one that really got me on that is this.One of the villagers died of old age,the creature saw this and started to poke him with it's finger.when the villager didn't move it picked him up and started to stroke the villager.When the creature realized it wasn't helping it started to cry and roar in anguish,while pointing to the villager then into the sky at me like it was begging me to revive the dead villager.Some people have had problems with it freezing up personally i have not,but the patch is forthcomming in the next 3 weeks or so.

------------------
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightfull place as master of all I survey.
..........O,_
......_.L.=\_:
~~(_)==(_)

[This message has been edited by sageridder (edited 06-05-2001).]
Old 06-05-2001, 10:31 PM   #18
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Celtic Tales! Balor of the Evil Eye!
Wow Sazerac! And I thought I was the only one who had even heard of this game.
At the time I thought it was awesome. And for the sheer originality of it I still do. This game was very ambitious and IMHO was super cool. I still have it somewhere around here and I think I might just go for a session sometime.
I grew up on Koei games. Just wish the newer PC Romance of the Three Kingdoms's would come out in english, I still play no. #4.