Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-17-2001, 03:18 PM   #21
Legolas
Jack Burton

*nods back to Aurican*
*thinks he really should get to work on the quests*

I think the Archer-cleric can only spend two points on slings because it's a fighter-cleric combination (roughly). The warrior part allows you to spend up to five points, while the cleric would only allow one point. They then allow you to spend two points (you'll see this with any warrior/something else combination) instead of the five/one.

The disadvantage being an archer/cleric is mostly that you can't use missile weapons other than slings. The bonusses still apply though.
Just wondering: you could also play an archer-druid if your stats were high enough, right?

BTW, if you don't have ToB and you've got too any arrows, sell them. I played through the game with a large stack of regular arrows, 40 +2 arrows and 40 acid arrows. Hardly needed the special ones...

But that's because I have a 1-use-fobia. It takes a lot to get me to use potions, wands and scrolls (except healing potions). Heck, I didn't even use the called shot and other x-times per day items and abilities. Which, by the way, is one of the reasons I think the archer is so powerful. Legolas was great even without those special abilities and arrows.

One more thing about the heartseeker +3: you can get an additional +7(!) thaco bonus with it once per day. High level archer + Heartseeker +3 + Heartseeker ability + arrow +2 + Bracers of archery = an almost guaranteed hit against whatever you're up against (we're talking large negative THACOs here [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Yes, my paladin friend, Archers are great!
Old 11-17-2001, 06:10 PM   #22
Thrawn
The Magister

fire tooth i belive that uses +4 arrows?
This is the place for Improved Ai Scripts by me<br /> [url]\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bwscript/files/PERSONAL/Iwishi\'s%20Stuff/\" target=\"_blank\">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bwscript/files/PERSONAL/Iwishi\'s%20Stuff/</A>
Old 11-17-2001, 11:39 PM   #23
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Firetooth shoots +2 enchanted fire arrows, but my question on the Ravager remains unanswered. I pondered soloing Archer before, but until I cover all my bases, I am delaying it.
Old 11-18-2001, 07:40 AM   #24
Legolas
Jack Burton

I couldn't help you out there just yet.
We got ToB maybe a month ago, had to reorganise the entire computer just so it would run, then discovered the cd was damaged (though there were no scratches on the protective layer) so now we're waiting for a new one (which may take another two weeks)

But, can't you sneak around the Ravager? It's not very heroic, but if it doesn't need to die you don't need to kill it, one less problem.
Old 11-18-2001, 09:52 AM   #25
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

ToB Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
You are locked/trapped/no escape/stuck in a room and you have to face the Ravager plus 5-6 Bone Blades( a stronger version of Mordenkenain's Sword).

You have to defeat the Ravager to complete the game, the Bone Blades are not a problem, they are slow and easily outrun,currently the only tactic I know of is to equip the Shield of Reflection and run around the Ravager in circles( it shoots projectiles if you maintain a distance), but this deals 2-3 damage per hit and is rather tedious. I was hoping there might be a better way.

[ADD]
Oooo, I believe I got the answer, Slings. [img]smile.gif[/img] Sling of Everand is +5 and there are +4 enchanted bullets in ToB( sadly, none for bolts and arrows).

Hmmmm... I guess I can try soloing Archer now, after my current solo Sorcerer, or should I solo Wild Mage first? Gah! The choices! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[/ADD]

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]

Old 11-18-2001, 10:08 AM   #26
SecretMaster
Apophis

What makes an archer REALLY deadly, try putting his racial enemy in dragons. A great dragon slayer, combined with Keldorn, and your good to go. Or, if you make a custom party, try these three guys in your party. Archer with Dragon as racial enemy, Cavalier Paladin, Cleric. With just those three guys, you have a nasty party. The cleric can stock up on chants and protection from evil, with dozens of mass cures and heals. The archer pounds away at the dragon from a distance. With you cavalier, try to use Carosmyr. The cavalier fights up close, and runs, archer pounds, cleric heals. Very efficient.
Old 11-18-2001, 05:04 PM   #27
Magness
Quintesson

SecretMaster, you are exactly correct about archers having a racial enemy of dragons. That's the racial enemy I selected for my archer. Even relatively early on in SoA, my archer practically defeated Fiirkragg by himself. Yes, there were 5 other party members, but my archer probably did at least 90% of the damage!!!

Selecting dragons as an archer's racial enemy is absolutely the way to go!!!
Old 11-18-2001, 05:28 PM   #28
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Magness:

Whenever I've played Mazzy, the moment that I can equip her with one of the STR enhancing items, I move her to the front lines. She makes a darned good tank. For a halfling that aspires to be a paladin, being a grandmaster with a shortbow just doesn't seem proper.

Same. If I've decided she'll be in my party, I get her early enough so she can get mastery in Halberds or Claymores rather than Short sword or short bow.

The role play aspect is a bit wierd though.

A widdle halfling wielding a Two handed sword.... three times her height?? [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

Still, she has the sexiest NPC portrait, has a spunky go-get 'em attitude, is really loyal, and fights well.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-18-2001, 05:37 PM   #29
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Magness:
SecretMaster, you are exactly correct about archers having a racial enemy of dragons. That's the racial enemy I selected for my archer. Even relatively early on in SoA, my archer practically defeated Fiirkragg by himself. Yes, there were 5 other party members, but my archer probably did at least 90% of the damage!!!

Selecting dragons as an archer's racial enemy is absolutely the way to go!!!

Very interesting. What about Demon/fell? You'd encounter more of them wouldn't you?

Unlucky if you played a Ranger through BG1 and imported him as an Archer, but his racist hatred was towards Gibberlings or Gnolls.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-18-2001, 06:01 PM   #30
Magness
Quintesson

Yorick,

There may be more demons (particularly in ToB), but the Dragons always seem like the toughest battles. They have sooooo many hit points and can deal out so much damage!!! Archers are a really good counter to wing buffets.

I suppose that the criteria for selecting a racial enemy is somewhat subjective. Do you select the very toughest enemies, even if you only encounter them rarely? Or do you select a not quite so tough/dangerous enemy that you will encounter more often? I suppose that it's a matter of personal preference.

Your point about selecting a racial enemy when you're starting at level 1 is well taken. Perhaps the DnD rules should allow a ranger to reselect racial enemy every 5 levels or so to accomodate the caliber of enemies they're likely to face.