Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-05-2004, 12:08 PM   #21
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Indeed. Actually, it looks they are probably already working on it, what with "I love the 90s," and "the 90s trivia game." I do remember the 90s, a bit better, though. Think I have been blocking some of it out, though...
Old 10-05-2004, 12:09 PM   #22
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

In the meantime, here are some more stuff I found from another site.

You Know You Are a Child of the 80's if...

This timeline appropriately describes actual events in your life:
STAR WARS opens, you are still in the single digit years, and you think the creatures are WAY cool.
EMPIRE STRIKES BACK opens, you are now in early double digit years, and you are convinced that the special effects are much better, the characters are cool, and you want one of every collectible out there.
RETURN OF THE JEDI hits the theaters...you are now a teenager, and you cannot get your eyes off Princess Leia's breasts or Han Solo's butt. You fantasize about it, and send off to join every fan club for them on the planet, hanging posters, photos, and "teen"-type magazine spreads all over your walls and lockers at school.

you know, by heart, the words to any "Weird" Al Yankovic song

not that you'd do it personally, but body piercing captivates your attention

the Brady Bunch movie brought back cool memories

you remember the first time "Space: Above and Beyond" aired it was called "Battlestar Galactica"

songs by Debbie Gibson still haunt you to this day

3 words: "Atari" "IntelliVision" and "Coleco". Sound familiar?

you remember the days that hooking your computer into your tv wasn't an expensive option that required gadgets - it was the ONLY WAY to use your computer!

you remember the days when "safe sex" meant "my parents are gone for the weekend"

you remember "Friday Night Videos" before the days of MTV

you ever owned a pair of "Pop-Wheels" - that handy little combination of shoe and roller skate that lasted about a year on the open market

a predominant color in your childhood photos is "plaid" you see teenagers today wearing clothes that show up in those childhood photos, and they still look bad

while in high school, you and all your friends discussed elaborate plans to get together again at the end of the century and play "1999" by Prince over and over again

you remember when music that was labeled "alternative" really was

one of the top five questions you've always wanted answered was to Robert Smith of the Cure - "What WAS that head on the door thing anyway?"

you were shocked and horrified at the Challenger explosion (which you were probably watching in school at the time), and yet, when someone mentions the name "JFK", the first thing you think of is "Oliver Stone"

you, yes you, sat down and memorized the entire lyric sheet to "It's the end of the world as we know it"

you can't remember when the word "networking" didn't have a computer connotation to it as well

you took family trips BEFORE the invention of the mini-van. You rode in the back of the station wagon and you faced the cars behind you.

you knew all the words to Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire", but it really didn't hold any meaning for you until about the third verse

you've ever conversationally used the phrase "Jane, you ignorant slut"

you've recently horrified yourself by using any one of the following phrases:
- "When I was younger"
- "When I was your age"
- "You know, back when..."
- "Because I SAID so, that's why"
- "What the HELL is this noise on the radio?"
- "Just can't (fill in the blank) like I used to"

you can't remember a time when "going out for coffee" DIDN'T involve 49,000 selections to choose from

Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you actually learned the English language

you're starting to view getting carded to buy alcohol as a GOOD thing, and you're ready to marry the next person who cards you when you want to buy cigarettes.

flashback: it was your first chance to vote in a presidential election, and you were SO disappointed because, just for laughs, you really wanted to vote for Gary Hart

the first time you heard the candidates names, you were pumped because you thought MICHAEL Jackson was running for President, not this Jesse character.

you ever dressed to emulate a person you saw in either a Duran Duran, Madonna, or Cyndi Lauper video

at one point during your teenage years, you walked with a noticeable tilt to one side due to the number of plastic rings on that arm

"Celebration" by Kool & the Gang was one of the hot new songs when you first heard it at a school dance

the first time you ever kissed someone at a dance fell during "Crazy for You" by Madonna

there were at least three people in your school that voluntarily went by the names of "Skip" "Buffy" "Muffy" or "Dexter"

you ever owned one of those embarrassing crimping irons

you used to hold in your head the thought that all those gold chains on Mr. T actually looked kinda cool and the thought that Mr. T made millions seemed rational to you at the time

you remember with pain the sad day when the Green Machine hit the streets and made your old big wheel quite obsolete

you read the "Hot Video Games Player's Secrets" guide for Mortal Kombat just so you could find the hidden screen, and play Pong again for old time's sake

you were convinced for years that Batman was a mildly overweight man with a moderate beer belly who wore his underwear outside of his clothes and talked strangely

your hair, at some point in time in the 80's, became something which can only be described by the phrase "I was experimenting"

you've ever shopped at a Banana Republic or Benetton, but not in the last five years, okay?

you can't remember a time when "hitting the outlet stores" didn't mean going to an electrical warehouse

you're doing absolutely nothing with anything pertaining to your major degree

you won't walk into the place where you once knew every bartender on a first name basis because "there's too many kids there"

going to keg parties no longer involves hiding out in the woods when the cops show up

you want to go out dancing, you really, REALLY do, but your back hurts, sorry

you've recently horrified yourself by groaning as you get out of bed, not because of a hangover, but because it genuinely just hurt to do so

you're finding that you just don't understand more than half the lingo used on MTV any more

U2 is too "popular" and "mainstream" for you now

you ever used the phrase "kiss mah grits" in conversation

When somone mentions two consecutive days of the week, the Happy Days theme is stuck in your head for hours on end

you remember trying to guess the episode of the Brady Bunch from the first scene.

you ever used the phrase "don't make me angry...you wouldn't LIKE me when I'm angry" when trying to frighten someone off.

you spent endless nights dreaming about being the Bionic Woman or Wonder Woman or the Six Million Dollar Man

you remember "Hey, let's be careful out there"

you're parents wanted you to attend medical school, but you decided it was pointless since Quincy got all the babes, anyway.

this rings a bell: "and my name, is Charlie. They work for me."

You owned a Jordache anything, or you remember when Jordache jeans were cool.

You remember when Madonna was just hitting the scene.

"The Reflex" was a cool song.

You remember the original version of Windows: Macintosh.

You thought "Weird Science" was a masterpiece.

You remember any or all of the following: Echo & the Bunnymen, Cutting Crew, Scritti Politti, or Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark.

Chevy Chase was really funny in those vacation movies.

You actually know who Rick Springfield is

You remember when film critics raved that no movie could ever possibly get better special effects than those in the movie TRON.

You jammed to the Miami Vice theme and thought Jan Hammer was cool.

For the girl crazy bunch: Your first sexual dream occurred to thoughts of Jeannie, Marsha Brady, Samantha from Bewitched or, for those hardcore comic fans out there, Daphne from Scooby Doo, Josie or any one of her Pussycats.

And for the boy crazy bunch: You thought Sean Cassidy was "dreamy", lusted after "Ted, your ship's photographer" on the Love Boat and Chachi, or, to keep it fair to the comically interested, thought Fred was just a hunk on Scooby Doo.

Guys: You remember when a guy piercing his ear was radical to the max, but did it anyhow.

You've ever shopped at a Banana Republic or Benetton, but not in the last five years, okay?

You actually remember Benetton.

You remember when there was only "G, PG and R", none of this PG-13 crap.

You learned to swim about the same time Jaws came out and still carry the emotional scars to this day.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:53 PM   #23
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

And here are a few I thought of on my own.

You listened to Casey Kasum every weekend.
You remember the Solid Gold Dancers.
(for the girls) You were in to "Pat Benetar" look and thought "Love IS a Battlefield" when you and your boyfriend broke up.
(for the guys) You were in to the "Miami Vice" look - and were really cool if you were brave enough to wear a pink shirt with your white pants.
You owned a pair of "checkerboard" shoes.
You remember when some of the guys in school had a "curly perm" - but just in the back.
You still have some of your old 8-tracks stored in the closet.
Ever said "That was my skull...I'm SOOOOO wasted!"
You still think "Porky's" is one of the funniest movies ever made.
You learned to dance by watching the movie "Flashdance" over and over.
Michael J. Fox was your idol.
Your mom went to every toy store in town and stood in line for hours to make sure you got a Cabbage Patch Kid for Christmas. (new)
You cry whenever you hear "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds.
You remember when all the sandwiches at McDonald's came in foam packages.
You spent every dime you had at the arcade playing Asteroids, Donkey Kong, Robotron or Frogger.
You remember Tom Cruise's dance scene from "Risky Business".
You can name at least 4 members of the "Not Ready For Prime Time Players".
You went to a toga party.
You can do "The Robot" dance.
You know who the Coneheads are.
You wore Polo cologne.
Your ultimate fantasy job was to be a video game tester.
You can remember when the T.I. caculater replaced the "slide rule" as the ultimate "science geek symbol" (but you thought they were cool too).
You remember the very first digital watches and how cool those red L.E.D. numbers were.
A "laptop" meant that you put the keyboard in your lap.
Remote controls were still connected to the TV by wires.
When you went to the video store, you had to rent a video player too - because your family couldn't afford a VCR of their own.
You remember your family's first microwave oven - and how HUGE it was.

For the Sports fan:
You can remember when Mike Tyson had never been in jail.
But you still think Ali could have beaten him.
You still can't believe Phi Slamma Jamma didn't win the championship.
You know what "The Ickey Shuffle" is.
You know which SuperBowl Champs made their own music video.
You remember what the feud between Jim McMahon and Pete Rozell was about.
You had to eat your Wheaties if you wanted to be the best on the field or the court.
You know which gymnast was the first woman to ever be on a box of Wheaties.
You'll never forget "The Miracle" of the 1984 Winter Games.
You remember the name of the reciever that caught "The Pass" that Joe Montana threw against the Dallas Cowboys.
You remember when the Cowboy's were "America's Team" and their cheerleaders were national celebrities.

[ 10-05-2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Cerek ]
Old 10-05-2004, 01:18 PM   #24
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Heh, I do exhibit/know about half of those.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:19 PM   #25
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Cerek, i think i know what you mean, i have that particular Playboy still lying around here somewhere, or was it Penthouse ?

Anyway, the story back then was that it wasn't Victoria in those pics. Well... it was her face alright, but the body belonged to someone else. The whole shoot was fake, at least that's how i remember things. And true is true, Victoria had two pretty big ....erm... youknowwhati'mtalkingabout, and the pics didn't seem to match with that image.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:28 PM   #26
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Cerek...I am horrified. That's all I can say.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:49 PM   #27
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Cerek, i think i know what you mean, i have that particular Playboy still lying around here somewhere, or was it Penthouse ?

Anyway, the story back then was that it wasn't Victoria in those pics. Well... it was her face alright, but the body belonged to someone else. The whole shoot was fake, at least that's how i remember things. And true is true, Victoria had two pretty big ....erm... youknowwhati'mtalkingabout, and the pics didn't seem to match with that image.
I'm pretty sure it was Playboy - though my uncle did have some Penthouse's too (which really sent my 17yr old hormones outta control [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ). I remember that the picture wasn't the best quality, but that was looooong before we had the technology to fake photos that is available today. Of course, if anybody could have afforded the technology back then, it would have been Hef.

My theory is that it is just like the case with Governor Arnie's pics - Victoria posed nude very early in her career (as many young actors and actresses do) then tried to deny it was her after she became popular and they were made public. Similar to the case with Vanessa Williams and Penthouse. The actual photos were several years old, but suddenly became ultra-hot after she won the Miss America Pageant. She tried to deny they were her, then tried to deny that Penthouse had the rights to publish the pics - but they had her signature granting them either ownership or rights (or both) to the photos.

Now THAT was an issue to remember. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2004, 03:27 PM   #28
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

You remember Ozzy as a Heavy Metal god and not a brain dead reality show dad.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:39 PM   #29
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Amen, Sir Kenyth. :cries:
Old 10-05-2004, 04:33 PM   #30
Lady Sedai
Banned User

That was very enlightening...I feel so OOOOLLLLDD now, LOL.

I identify with entirely TOO much of all that. [img]tongue.gif[/img]