Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-17-2000, 03:14 PM   #1
Lora

How to kill NIZ(?!?!?!)that damn black dragon..I have tried everything...what to do?what to do?

Old 12-17-2000, 03:26 PM   #2
Magness
Quintesson

Have Jahiera and/or Viconia summon all the elementals possible. The elementals will keep the pressure on the dragon while you spell casters fire off their very best magics.

If you have a cleric, Holy Smite is an excellent dragon killing spell. It's an aera effect spell that only hurts enemies. Also, use the Finger of Death spell.
Old 12-17-2000, 04:49 PM   #3
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Try having your mages cast lower resistance, then blast him with tons of magic missiles (spell sequencers or spell trigger works nicely) and have your fighters hack away. Summon insects and elementals from clerics and druids can also help greatly.

Or you can cast wizard eye, then send in couple of waves of summon creature to force attack him (have your own party members remain out of sight) and let the dragon wastes his more powerful spells. Then charge in and do the above.
Old 12-17-2000, 08:35 PM   #4
Radical_Edward

Gosh, I kinda just jumped in headfirst, starting by dispelling his protections and then using all my offense spells. While my melee fighters, hopped up on every enhancing magic and potion I had, went toe to toe.

The dragon died, but I had two guys still alive: My ranger, Valygar, was alive, vut severley wounded and panicking. My mage, my PC, was unharmed and feeling rather triumphant. All I can say, is good thing I had my rod of resurection.

Old 12-17-2000, 09:26 PM   #5
Lora

I did it...that magic resistance works well

Old 12-18-2000, 03:27 AM   #6
UserUnFriendly

important things I discovered in killing shade dragon in optional quests.

dragons like to cast breath weapon at first target they see, so sending in a expendable skeleon or spider is the first step.

protection against magic should be cast before engagement, plus any energy protection spell or potions.

prepare a squad of the best summoned creatures you can get to vanguard and soak up the dragon spells while you prepare

pierce shield
lower resistance and some sorta silencing spell...power word is best.

as you can see, you must breach his outermost defences, spells and shields, then his inner defenses, natural magi resistance, then silence him FAST.

above all else, watch out for his wing buffet!!! the line of sight in this game and the huge size the dragon hasmakes it very easy to wander in too close. the first time I fought dragon I sent my mage guy in alone to the dragon, and after i'd taken down his defences, was preparing a cloudkil x 3 to waste him when his wing buffet stunned me. luckily i still had a skeleton warrior left, and my other guys used bows and slings to finish him off while the dragon tried to attack y stunned mage. fortunately my mage still had active defences

say, a funky thing happed to me. when I was doing the rescue jan's friend's daugher quest, I ambushed a pair of demonic types, one of which managed to cast a dancing sword spell just before my spiders chewed him up. after the mage was dead, it went after my spiders, and after killing them, started to go after me!!!

Old 12-18-2000, 04:09 AM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Just one tiny little note: Magness what you're saying about Holy Smite is not wholly true: it doesn't hurt enemies only...it hurts all those of evil alignment. Since almost all of the enemies you encounter are evil, it is a wonderful spell and as you said, it works really well on dragons (I killed Firkraag with a couple of them). However, if you make Viconia cast it, make sure that there are no evil members of your party (Viconia Korgan Edwin) in the area of effect because this spell WILL affect your own -evil- party members
Old 12-18-2000, 05:22 AM   #8
Armisael

Incidentally, unholy blight is the good-affecting variation of the spell.