Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 12-01-2000, 09:13 PM   #11
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Blasphemers!

What does role playing mean?

PLAYING the PART of a ROLE..

so if you get more XP for killing a dragon, you choose to refrain from such heinous antics!

For we are such that seek the Mavin, and seek the truth...

www.seastop.com/www.htm

or even, when we grow wholly disillusioned,

www.seastop.com/wwshinw.htm

we shall give our dreams to you, child!
Old 12-01-2000, 09:16 PM   #12
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

errr, sory, for my misappropriated links:

The dream. The truth.

Old 12-02-2000, 12:15 AM   #13
thoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There are major moral questions I agree, but I trust that even the most noble among you realize that the dragon swallowed Kerah's stepdaughter, and without the Lamented Shoelace, you will never get into the zombie mound.
Old 12-02-2000, 12:56 AM   #14
Archimedes
Welcomed New User

So I guess the verdict is that it is good to play games as good, that it is all right to play games as evil, but that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you play the game as Neutral Greedy.

Old 12-02-2000, 04:07 AM   #15
Astyanax12

I'm with THE_ONE on this. How you choose to play the game is entirely up to you. You should play mean, evil bastards if that is what you prefer. And I don't agree that W&W is built for goody-two-shoes only. At the end you have the choice of allying with Cet or even refusing to...... (spoiler deleted). SO DWB obviously had an eye on the dark side.

I was impressed by the more complex gameplay of Might & Magic 7 (shame about the graphics tho) where approximately half way through you are faced with a major decision to make - make peace between the humans and elves, or trick them into all out war. As a consequence of that decision you would find yourself on the path of light or the path of dark. The remaining quests, role ascensions and ultimate goal were quite different according to the path taken. Playing the path of light was (as you might expect) in line with most RPG games, but the path of dark was very scary, it made you feel much more for the morality of the situation and responsibility for many of the evil things which flowed from that fateful decision. Ultimately winning with the path of dark actually gave me quite a sick feeling. Now that's what I call role playing (IMHO of course!)

Old 12-02-2000, 09:02 AM   #16
Junker

Well Cet actually sais that in the end,,,but doesnt every villain try,,,well its just a dying monsters pray to live !!!!!!!!!!or can you tell me you saved Cets life and got an evil end to the game ????? I DONT THINK SO... So no DW .Bradley didnt include this as an option..

And yes you are right M.M has the option for an evil path, and is written for this,,and so has BG II

But as I said everyone can play the game they see fit...But in this case its just some strange defence of getting those extra exp(and goodies) for that NPC or not,,,

Old 12-02-2000, 02:17 PM   #17
Junker

No i didnt say that,,,,I said everyone could play the game as they see fit, and they should absolutly do this cus its most fun to them obviously...But I dont get it..why a roleplaying game !!! Why not some other game where it is inteneded to kill every possible living thing in the entire gameworld....It just made me think..thats it..
Does it feel like its something forbidden,,sort of sneaking with your very first cigarette ??? Hey guys I killed that lady at the windmill,,hehehe !!! Yes i think its odd,,and I just wanted to see what responds I got,,,

Old 12-02-2000, 03:11 PM   #18
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

I think the fallout series did an excellent job of allowing the player to choose between good and evil. In fact, you could actually get a "Child-Killer" perk if you waxed enough pre-pubescents I typically play the path of "good", but it's nice if the option is there, especially if it enhances the replay. (Like MM7, as mentioned.) I also liked the ability to make targetted shots; my female character was a self-proclaimed "crotch-buster" in Fallout! hehe
Old 12-02-2000, 07:32 PM   #19
THE_ONE

Thank you for being with me on this topic, Astyanax12! My post was definitely NOT a cheap way to defend a lust for exp, Junker! Just calculate it through. The additional gain in exp from killing key characters is only marginal. It is certainly in no relation to the risk of killing off some guy you might still need later on. (By the way, I play white! I just tried a few kills and loaded back, to get a feel for the gain in exp.)
But as Lily the Ranger said "The game is supposed to be whatever I want it to be." Of course you are a bit restricted by the storyline (expecting you to be a goodie), but the individual imagination can easily overcome this. Just look at Kalen Leah, he talks to his characters, and that's great! And if he just feels like telling his warlock "Hey, just fry this egghead over there!", he doesn't do it for the exp, but for his mood and his fun.
Lily the Ranger said it all, we play for the game and not the exp. Obviously a very wise woman!

Greetings to all of you - just have a good time with this game, any way you want it to play!

THE ONE

Old 12-02-2000, 08:03 PM   #20
Junker

To THE_ONE.....The only thing that matters in the end is having fun (I have said so in almost every post),,so I sort of stand back on you with that to,,,And if you are having fun killing those guys then fine,,,And I guess that is the story here,,,,So no hard feelings eh!!