Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-07-2001, 01:30 PM   #1
puzzled

Can you please advise me how to get rid of that bloody dragon that`s in your way after you`ve spoken to Demin?
I`ve given my party protection from fear, magic blocking and loads of other stuff. I`ve also used that time-stop scroll but I`m not too sure how that works.
My party are wiped out in double quick time. There all are scared S------s so whats with this freedom from fear thing?
I tried my wand of monster summoning and the dragon picked the monsters up and threw them at me.
Help!

Old 02-07-2001, 01:44 PM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

If you cast Remove Fear or Resist Fear, your party shouldn't panic. Also if you have Mazzy in your party, she has this as a special ability.

I use the summoned monsters just to get blasted away. If you move your fighters in soon after, you should be able to do some damage before they get blown. Also try summoning some elementals. They are much stronger than most summoned creatures.

Be sure to cast Magic Resistance and Lower Reistance before trying to cast spells at a dragon. If you only use Lower Resistance, plan on casting it a couple of times before casting spells. Ranged weapons (especially bows) won't work very well, so you are better off using a good sword or other melee weapon.

There are lots of other posts that go into more detailed strategies and you might search for those, but I hope this gets you off to a start.

Good luck,

Father Bronze
Old 02-07-2001, 03:27 PM   #3
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Before battle:
1) Have your clerics cast:
i) protection from evil 10' radius
ii) resist/remove fear
2) Have your mage summon:
i) wizard eye
ii) higher level monsters/Nishruu/elementals ... etc
3) Have your druid (if applicable) summon:
i) fire elementals
ii) wood land beings
The send in your troops (ie. summon monsters) along with wizard eye, place wizard eye in front of the dragon, who is currently facing the direction of the entrance. Have your troops go behind the dragon (so when he does wing buffet, they won't get blown to you!!), and force attack that lizard. The wizard eye should give you a good look at the action, and provided that the wizard eye don't get blown away (that's why you have it at the opposite side from your troops), you can summon a 2nd or 3rd wave of "suicide" troopers to use up the dragon's more powerful spells (ie, plants grow, insects ...etc).
Once the action dies down a bit, you send in your party (might want to distract the dragon with more summoned beings just in case), make sure remove fear spell and protection from evil is still "active". Then when you actually fight the lizard:
1) Mage cast lower resistance(s), 2 or 3 will do nicely. Then use your spell sequenced magic missles and keep firing, whether it is single magic missles, or 2x, or 3x. Don't use acit attacks.
2) Cleric cast spells like bolt of glory, free action, holy smite and prepare to heal injured characters.
3) Druid cast insect spells (any will do, but prefer high level ones)
4) Fighters......well, you get the idea of what they should do.
The key is constantly manage your characters through pausing the game, heal them when needed, and throw everything at the dragon. No one should stand idle!! And good luck.