Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-29-2003, 08:59 PM   #41
Lavindathar
Harper

Im English, and I prefer baseball.

Its more fun. Cricket is more technical, and talented, but, baseball is better to watch.

Only thing that annoys me - they have a WORLD series, involving only one country!
Old 01-29-2003, 09:04 PM   #42
Aragorn The Wise
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
Im English, and I prefer baseball.

Its more fun. Cricket is more technical, and talented, but, baseball is better to watch.

Only thing that annoys me - they have a WORLD series, involving only one country!
I've never understood that either. lol
Old 01-29-2003, 09:32 PM   #43
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
That's not exactly true, unless you think Canada is part of the US. You have the Toronto Bluejays and the Montreal Expos, don't ignore those two.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:41 PM   #44
Aragorn The Wise
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
That's not exactly true, unless you think Canada is part of the US. You have the Toronto Bluejays and the Montreal Expos, don't ignore those two.
The Expos in the World Series... ROFLMAO hahahahaha now that's funny
Old 01-29-2003, 09:50 PM   #45
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

thanks Hierophant for the simple explaination. but I'm still puzzled why a cricket may go into 2nd day or 3rd day?

also, what's the different between these two (baseball and cricket) with another type like Rounders?
Old 01-29-2003, 09:57 PM   #46
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn The Wise:
quote:
The Expos in the World Series... ROFLMAO hahahahaha now that's funny[/QUOTE]If someone told you 5 months ago the Angels would win the worldseries, would you've taken his word ? Thought not.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:07 PM   #47
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
thanks Hierophant for the simple explaination. but I'm still puzzled why a cricket may go into 2nd day or 3rd day?

There are 2 types of cricket matches. One are one-day matches. These can only last 1 day, each team has a maximum of 50 overs (that is, the ball is bowled to the batting team 300 times, each over being 6 balls). If all the batsmen are out before the 50 overs are up, their innings is over. When the team who bats first finishes their overs or are all out, they then bowl to the opposing team who has 50 overs with which to get more runs than their opponents. 50 overs generally take about 3.5 hours to complete, so the game will always be over in a day.

The other type is a test match, these last a maximum of 5 days. Each team has 2 innings to bat, so there is a maximum of 4 innings in the match. Unlike a one-day, there is no maximum number of overs in each innings, so an innings is over when all the batsmen are out, or the team chooses to stop batting (declares). When they are done, the opposing team has an innings to bat. When they are all out (or declare), the team that batted first then has another innings to bat, then the original team has their 2nd innings in which they try to add to their 1st innings total of runs to outscore the 2 innings of runs of the other team. The game is over when the team batting last outscores the other team (they win), the team batting last are all out without scoring enough runs (they lose), or the end of the fifth day is reached with the team batting last not all out but having not outscored their oponents (a draw).

I hope that made sense [img]smile.gif[/img] . LOL when you know the rules they seem so simple but writing them out makes them seem so complicated! And heh, that's just the basics
Old 01-30-2003, 12:47 AM   #48
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
Sorry but cricket is a little too goofy for me. Ill take good old fashioned baseball any day, just for the pure history of the game. In cricket there is no Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, or Yogi Berra. 'm sure there are famous players of personality, but nothing like what we have in baseball. Cricket, is a popular sport, and though I am not a fan of it I can earnestly respect it, but give me a baseball game any day.
You've got to be kidding. Cricket is an extremely historical game. Who the hell is Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, or Yogi Berra anyway? Bradman, Miller Pollock, Trumper, Grace, O'Reilly, Lillee, Jardine, Richards (Barry and Viv), and other cricket legends from history are the history I know of. Cricket is THE historical game.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-30-2003, 12:49 AM   #49
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Ah thanks, i was searching for that on Google, needless to say i came up with nothing. Well, impressive feat, i would have thought such an award would go to a footballteam (Brazil, Real Madrid, maybe even S-Korea).
None of those teams are as dominant in their sport as the Australian Cricket team is at the moment. Not even the Yankees.

[ 01-30-2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

Old 01-30-2003, 12:55 AM   #50
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:

Oh, come on dude. Even Donk from Walkabout Creek knows who the Yankees are.
Quote:
Not everyone looks to the USA to dictate their lives johnny
Quote:
Neither do i, what has that got to do with the Yankees ?
Try that the Yankees are a US team and baseball is a US (invented and dominated) sport??

I had no idea who the Yankees were before living in the US. So this "donk from walkabout creek" had no idea who they were, just like millions or billions of others.