Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2002, 03:43 PM   #21
Azred
Drow Priestess

The word "niggardly" has been causing controversy for many years; its use is avoided at all costs in some places. Of course, 85% of Americans wouldn't know what it means anyway. [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:45 PM   #22
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
The word "niggardly" has been causing controversy for many years; its use is avoided at all costs in some places. Of course, 85% of Americans wouldn't know what it means anyway. [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img]
That really is mindboggling, I had no idea. When I learned English, I didn't even think about the possibility that the two would be confused. Come on people, how stupid is this?? [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2002, 03:47 PM   #23
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I havent heard about the teacher incident but I remember a couple years ago a Washington DC city councilman(?) or higher-up used the word and was nearly fired. What crap. I actually knew what niggardly meant before I knew what ■■■■■■ meant when I was a kid. They say ignorance is bliss, but apparently its not lol
Old 09-04-2002, 04:22 PM   #24
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
I guess that they think that Fire Island is a "Penal Colony," with lots of pediatricians.
Attalus, I am laughing so hard right now I am practically on the floor. Too funny! [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 09-04-2002, 04:26 PM   #25
Moni

If you had ever lived in a house, community, town or county that hated African Americans and used the "N" word in its proper context and with heart behind the meaning you might understand people's reaction to hearing the word niggardly being used.
Not that I am against having the word niggardly around, I just think people ought to think about what they are saying (as in where they are saying it) before they open their mouths. Its not like they couldn't have said stingy to begin with. There are occasions where PC should take precedence.

[ 09-04-2002, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 09-04-2002, 06:46 PM   #26
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Attalus, I am laughing so hard right now I am practically on the floor. Too funny! [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

-Saz
LOL, thanks, Saz.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:23 PM   #27
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

I just had another thought.Maybe the people who were offended acctualy knew what was said and were pissed at being called stingy. Then again , if the slur fits.....
Old 09-04-2002, 09:31 PM   #28
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

MagiK is very niggardly with his money. He hasnt sent me any [img]tongue.gif[/img] Ray dont pay! LOL yes I have been drinking
Old 09-04-2002, 11:25 PM   #29
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
If you had ever lived in a house, community, town or county that hated African Americans and used the "N" word in its proper context and with heart behind the meaning you might understand people's reaction to hearing the word niggardly being used.
Not that I am against having the word niggardly around, I just think people ought to think about what they are saying (as in where they are saying it) before they open their mouths. Its not like they couldn't have said stingy to begin with. There are occasions where PC should take precedence.
Unfortunately I must disagree with you, Moni. Because we usually see eye-to-eye, please believe me when I say that that disagreement makes me sad. [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]
PC should neither "take precedence" nor even be used at all. PC exists only so those who choose not to let go of some sort of emotional turmoil can avoid becoming upset. Besides, most PC is about white-washing things, so they are called something other than what they are. Case in point: calling someone a *insert country of origin*-American. [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] People either are Americans or they are not, much like a light switch is either on or off. True, "black-and-white" thinking is a psychological limitation in many circumstances, but sometimes that is simply reality as it is.

*sigh* Forgive my rant; absolutely nothing personal intended.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:51 PM   #30
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, first to Moni. I have lived in Birmingham, Alabama all my life. That's enough said about how I grew up hearing the "N" word constantly. And I must agree with Azred that PC is never correct in my opinion. When someone makes a "slur" why don't people consider the source? (Usually some ignorant bigot who all the PC in the world won't change so why should I care.)

And yes, Mel, it is a sad commentary on people's ignorance and/or lack of education. Perhaps if children were taught early in schools here the CORRECT meaning of niggardly we wouldn't have this problem.

Niggardly is a perfectly good word and I use it myself sometimes. I realize that sometimes words come acquire a meaning in addition to that that they originally had. I have a much older cousin (she must be 60 now or late 50's) whose name is Gay. Should she change her name because "gay" now means homosexual?

BTW Saz, I had heard about that doctor. Pathetic is what that is.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>