Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2001, 11:32 AM   #1
Conan

Hi everyone! I wanted to write to you all about this topic for some time now. I will be talking in this thread about survival tips and hope that I can impart some good steps you can prepare yourselves and families when trouble comes your way. I dont want to come off as an alarmist but as a prepared person. I welcome you all to add to this simple list of real life precautionary steps to take to somewhat ease your difficulties in these troubled times. All to often I wish that RPG games would make your buy rations and make you eat and prepare realistic measures for your outdoor adventures. (Saz, remember the days when you were required to buy your food and water rations for your adventures ) These following tips are the basic house . Advance survival tips will come later on.

1. Water---> Keep a good source of bottled water stocked
2. Food---> tuna, dried fruits, nuts, twinkies, and foods that will keep for a long while.
3. Bathroom items---> tissue, soap, towels and shampoo
4. Lighters and candles---> Dont burn anything now, never burn them without safety precautions
5. Batteries and flashlights..to make funny faces with
7. Transitor radio operated from batteries or solar power
8. Cards and board games to edge off your bordem and keep your spirits up
9. Blankets and warm clothing
10. Cooking---> several things can be used here. Gas grills would be the best thow. One of those gas containers lasts a long time. Sterno cans if you dont have a grill. They store nicely.
11. Keep your tank full of gas in your vehicles as much as you can

Like I said before these items are very basic. I will write you more advanced ideas down the road. Remember that some time or another your power will go off and what will you do? Empower yourselves now! Do this!

Anyone need a ride to the store..

------------------
*\Conan/*

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 10-08-2001).]

Old 10-08-2001, 11:35 AM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Get some solar panels in case the power fails?

Have a backup generator in your basement?
Old 10-08-2001, 11:35 AM   #3
Epona
Zartan

Nice to see a few optimists about the place....

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-08-2001, 11:35 AM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Whooboy, do I ever remember those games, Conan! Like Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. (Or any of the M&M games). It became a "Food Management" task as well.

Good points...although I wouldn't want to be alarmist either. We don't want another Y2K scare going on. Still, it's best to be prepared. (I know people who are STILL eating their Y2K rations...along with a lot of crow. ).

Cheers,

------------------
Old 10-08-2001, 11:37 AM   #5
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

You forgot a few essentials, like a large stash of beer
Old 10-08-2001, 11:38 AM   #6
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
You forgot a few essentials, like a large stash of beer
Why am I not surprised someone posted this? You also forgot tons of chocolate and a few gallons of Fanta Lemon.

Old 10-08-2001, 11:49 AM   #7
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

And let's not forget the Gummi Bears, Neb.
---------------
Seriously, my father raised me in a 'survivalist' way. Not only are all the things you've posted GREAT, but my dad taught me how to set traps for food if necessary, what plants are edible, how to catch fish in a stream/small river, etc. I've often considered - when life got a little rough - just taking off on my own somewhere because I know I can do it.

I think everyone ought to know how to survive without life's luxuries - just in case one day...Not as a fatalistic PoV, but because it also gives you a VERY strong sense of self-worth if you know you could provide for yourself without grocery stores, etc. I'm never afraid of getting lost when hiking, either.

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-08-2001, 11:54 AM   #8
Donut
Jack Burton

Don't forget - in the case of a nuclear attack:

Duck and cover, duck and cover.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 10-08-2001, 12:01 PM   #9
Conan

DragonMage, I hope will impart some of these in a future thread! Remember that the advanced traininging wil be in threads to come. Neb, I dont think any situation could keep you down Dio, my wife wont let me..heh Saz, I think we finished our last can of tuna a week ago! Epona, I know you have several great ideas here..come on.. post them up!
There you are Donut (nice way to cook food!)

------------------
*\Conan/*

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 10-08-2001).]