Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-02-2001, 08:51 AM   #1
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Stonecold, and biting snow makes the world of Max ayne a real X-mus game in my sense. Itīs brutal and itīs beatiful. Itīs cool, but not so new as many says it is.
Oki, about the game, itīs a thirdperson view and the camera action is pretty good. Not to many glitches or hidden views, though it can get messy in some parts of the game. The awarness of the sourronding is a bit hard to see inthis way, but thats probably just me being to familiar with 1:st person shooters.

Some say it is a new game and a real revulotion to action games. If you have tried DeusX or Outcast, you will recognize alot. Itīs more like DeusX without the rpg section, but with two major cool features. The comic story that progress the story futher into parts and sections. The bullet time that makes you go like Matrix in slow motion. The dodge and rolls are better in both DeusX and Outcast, but I miss the real big areas and the length of DeusX.

OK, some good things about the game:
Bullet time! Bullet time! Hehe, ok, but it is soo cool to make a James Bondmaneouver and shoot bad guys

The story is a typical B-action story with classic hints and scenery. The voices are real good and MAx Payne is a kickass hero. You like the story and the game.

Weapon selection is real good. No mishmash weird weapons but you have a couple of pistols, smgīs ARīs and greaneades. Easy to choose and of course the duel wielding berettas, all to make a real action hero.

Graphics and sound are really good. Nice graphic without many problems or lagging. Smooth and great. Cutscenes are good and the slowmotion reruns are pretty cool. The music is pretty dull after a couple of hours, but you wonīt notice unless you have time to listen!

Action. The game is full of it and you have the story through the game at all times. You like it, because itīs good! Not the ok, go and shoot all the bad guys cause you have everything from running in corridors to rooftop hunts and jumping on subway cars and dodging helicopters.

OKI, now for the bad stuff.
One thing I hate with action games is when the AI isnīt good enough. This AI isnīt better or worse than most games,but inthis game it gets annoying that you canīt sneak up on bad guys or passed them like in DeusX. Only a few times are they unaware of you. Thats pretty annoying.

Another problem is that the game tends to be really really difficult. You take painkillers to heal and some traps and fights are just to dangerous if you have run out of bullet time. This is also a problem concerning the AI.

Another problem is that the crosshair is very small, just a little small dot, that is white, in the outsie areas where itīs snowing like hell, you can hardly see it, which makes you sepend alot of ammo. Also it gets invisible when you fire the big guns since it is "swallowed" in the muzzleflashes..

Last problem is that the game is pretty short. Took me a day and a half to finish it, 20 hours roughly. You can go sightseeing and find easter eggs and probably try to have a calmer approach to the game which could probably double the game length.

All in all. I still think that the game is a major relief from alot of games this year. No sword and sorcery, no kill aliens but true hardboiled action on the streets of NEw York with a perfect setting and perfect feeling of being on the run and up against the world. A good story and good action. If you want something else thatn Jean Claude Van Damne or Bruce Willis on the tube,check out Max PAyne cause it is like being the star of a action movie. Replay value is well not to good, unless you let it rest between playing it. Most story games tend to be like this. I only played outcast and DeusX twice since I could the story after the first time through, and since you canīt change the character as in most RPG games, it tends to be alittle booring to play it over and over.

Can I end this and say that Iīm looking forward to Unreal2 and DeusX2?? Hehe!

OKI, I give Max Payne 4 wolfgrins out of 5 possible becasue of the action/story/graphics.

------------------

Be vevvy qwiet..Iīm hunting wabbits...
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 09-02-2001, 08:55 AM   #2
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

It's a good game, but gets tiresome. All it has to distunguish it from all the other FPS's is the story (which is so overly dramatic at times it's painful to listen to.) and the graphics, which are amittably good.

Bullet time is a great implementation, but afew a few hours the novelty of going in slow motion does tend to wear thin, however good it looks.

Still a great game mind.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Old 09-02-2001, 09:02 AM   #3
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Sounds Fun Wolfgir!

I will try and get it soon. ALthough I dont normally paly Acation games that much. I will paly Unreal every once in a while, but not all the time. I will look forward to geting it.

Thanks!

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

The ranger looked at the place out side of the elven town near the river, he looked near the rocks, then they showed the way ....

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Old 09-02-2001, 06:07 PM   #4
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

A fair assessment Wolfgir, and evenly written.

It certainly does draw you in. Max Payne is what's been keeping me occupied for the past few days...

I would say that the only major problem with the game is it's longevity. The other flaws are relatively minor, and this game certainly bests some of the other offerings that have hit the shelves recently.

------------------
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
Old 09-02-2001, 11:18 PM   #5
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Actually Wolfgir, most FPS vets dont use crosshairs..
I'm thinking they made it small because 1: realism, Max issint JC Denton with augmented eyesight and 2: less obstructive, better view on the action

------------------
Resident Lurker Guy
Old 09-03-2001, 05:13 AM   #6
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
Actually Wolfgir, most FPS vets dont use crosshairs..
I'm thinking they made it small because 1: realism, Max issint JC Denton with augmented eyesight and 2: less obstructive, better view on the action

Actually, iīm a 1:st person shooter vet and have played in Quake tornaments for some while, stopped when work got too much three years back and I use the crosshair. I usually goes for mayhem or sniper position in teams.

OKi, so it is more for relism, but realism in computer games are not there. YOu have better view and hearing aids in rl. You can see, sneakaround corners and your opponents donīt know all the time where you are...

And itīs a hell of a lot easier to throw greandes!

------------------

Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 09-03-2001, 10:23 AM   #7
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Why would most FPS vets play without crosshairs? It dosen't make sense to me, I'm almost an FPS vet, even though RPGs, RTSs and TBSs are more preferable, and I use a crosshair, even though I prefer a rather unusual triangular one.
Old 09-05-2001, 05:47 PM   #8
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Why would most FPS vets play without crosshairs? It dosen't make sense to me, I'm almost an FPS vet, even though RPGs, RTSs and TBSs are more preferable, and I use a crosshair, even though I prefer a rather unusual triangular one.
Hehe! You a Predator fan too? Hehe! I like the triangular crosshair--- "Want some candy??" can be heard in the overly crowded game room where ten computers buzz and fizz, ten guys playing online, few comments except the usual.. gotcha *******, damn eller satan som vi säger här i sverige!

You can sometimes see one dude with an evil grin smiling and sayin.. wnat some candy and blam blam blam heheh.. sorry, got a little carried away there!

------------------

Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper