Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I've just had my first attempt at the final battle in TOB Ascension and everything went perfectly until facing off against the Five where i really was surprised by Sarevok's spectacular backflipping ability. Is it possible (through dialogue or however) to have him remain at my side? Besides his skill with Soul Reaver +6 being fairly integral to my plan A, i actually kinda like the guy. Killing him doesn't sit right with me.

Also, i know there's a "fast forward" CLUA command to initiate as yet unactivated NPC conversations but i haven't been able to find it in my searches. I picked up Viconia late on in the show and would like to have both her and Sarevok's dialogues wrapped up before i finish the game. Especially Sarevok's if it'll lend him some loyalty. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
Sever

This battle could see me a little balder and a few shades paler by the time i nail it. Am going to have to go back to the proverbial drawing board for this one. My "standard" all-round spell selection that hasn't needed revision once during SoA/ToB (even for improved Bodhi and Irenicus) definitely needs some major battle specific tuning. My low cheese/pre-buff/summon/clone battle approach is also going out the window.

I get the distinct impression that a killer opening move is absolutely essential here. Balthazar is slightly edging out the other four for "priority removal" status. But with his immunity to TS and his apparent ability to disable (through a PfMW and stoneskin!) the only member capable of killing him during a TS, i'm not sure what that opening move should be...
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 05-27-2007, 02:37 AM   #3
Sever

After a little searching, it appears i may be able to go with my plan A (time stop) after all. Leslie mentions a great opener in an old battle which makes use of a TS immunity granting spell/ability called "Focus". Maybe this is a stupid question, but what is "Focus"? I don't recall ever using or even hearing about it?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 05-28-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
Sever

Anyone?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 05-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I usually get tired of my games before I get to Balthazar (ToB has that effect), but from what I recall, his immunity to Time Stop is not permanent: Among his unique abilities (like "Faster Than the Eye!") is one that grants him temporary immunity to TS. I don't think this is Focus, however--that sounds like some cheese added by a mod, couldn't tell you which.

I've also never played Ascension, but whom what I can tell, it's all about cheese. So anything's fair--if you need to kill Balthazar with a stack of Traps, do it. But you still TS him if you trap him behind a wall of Summons first, or you can just pound the snot out of him with your Warriors before you cast your TS.

People could provide more help if you told us about your party.

IIRC, the command to fast-forward party banters is Ctrl-I.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
Imrahil
Elminster

Focus is a part of Ascension, I think. You get it when you still the last pool, & it allows you to ignore Time Stop for 4 rounds. Any Simulacrums of yours will also have it, so if you have that spell or Vhailor's Helm, you can abuse it a bit, particularly if you have another party member cast Time Stop.

If Balthazar has his own TS Immunity going (he's amazingly prescient when it comes to timing that ability), I'd suggest just ignoring him. You'll auto-hit everyone who is affected, so don't waste time on blows that *might* hit him.

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
Sever

Thanks guys. I haven't really used the Bhaal powers since chapter 3 so it's no surprise i missed the focus ability.

As for Balthazar, a little research tells me that most people find him to be the weakest of the Five by far. Not for my party however. Maybe i'm not using the right defense against his attacks, but he's managing to tiger kick (or sumfin) my PfMW, SS kensai/mage PC all over the park. I'll think of something eventually, but even so, here is my party:

CHARNAME - Kensai/Mage 13/28
SilverStar - Assassin 40
Valen - Vampire Fighter/Thief 24/28
Sarevok - Fighter 33
Viconia - Cleric 24 (late addition)

Viconia and SilverStar (though maxed) are virtually useless in this fight until the strong melee element has been dealt with. Valen (and Sarevok, soon..) is powerful enough to do some major damage in this battle, but Balthazar is getting the drop on both her and the PC during the opening round TS (whether mine or Sendai's). After that, the whole party is on the back foot and quickly loses.

Apparently Ascension is supposed to fast forward the remaining dialogues, but i'm pretty sure it didn't do so for me. Ctrl-I should enable me to keep him in the party. Thanks Six.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 05-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
Lord

From what I remember, it isn't possible to keep Sarevok in your party during this battle. If you are having a lot of trouble, install the Redemption mod as well. It is compatible with Ascension, and will give you the opportunity to recruit Irenicus into your party during the final battle. But...surprise - it adds one additional enemy as well. Irenicus has permanent Improved Alacrity, so use this to your advantage as much as possible.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
Sever

Irenicus, Bodhi and Balthazar cannot be recruited as allies on account of RP clashes. My PC is way too arrogant to allow that lot into the crew.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 05-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #10
Imrahil
Elminster

It is possible to keep Sarevok on your side, but given how you described your character, you probably chose the dialogues that told him you won't need him later or you'll kill him or something, right? In that case, he'll most likely desert you. I'm guessing you found a way around that, though?

You do need a decent opener in this battle, but this is one of the places where I think prep'ing the battlefield ahead of time isn't cheese. You could easily justify setting traps around the area with SS & Valen. Set up a couple of Summons before stilling the final pool (if you can get Balthazar hung up on a Mordy's Sword, so much the better). As I mentioned above, cast Simulacrum right after stilling the final pool & have your Simmy use Focus.

There are some cheesy, but not cheating IMO, tactics you can try out, as well. Use a Protection from Magic scroll on Sendai, for example (some of her spells are scripted, so it won't stop everything). If you can take out Sendai, you can scoop up her 2 Potions of Heal & use them to heal up after taking a beating from Balthazar.

If Viconia & SS have nothing else to do, give them a Rod of Resurrection & have them sit off to the side using it to heal your front-liners. Alternatively, give Silver some Invisibility potions & have her Backstab people while using Poison weapon.

Valen should make short work of Yaga Shura (& probably Sarevok if he's turned on you) if you use her claws, by the way. A few hits of Level Drain will take them down.

Illasera's usually the one I fear the most since her hits can Dispel your character, do lots of damage, & possibly give you Miscast Magic. I'd try to take her out during your Time Stop (which, it occurs to me, could be accomplished by Simulacrum'ing yourself, having you & your clone use Focus, then benefitting from a Time Trap from Valen who can go to town on one of the other bad guys).

If none of the above proves helpful, let us know where you're getting stuck & maybe we can offer more suggestions.

- Imrahil

[ 05-28-2007, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Imrahil ]
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote