Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2002, 06:05 AM   #1
Dabom7777
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok heres the situation...
In the game I am creating, you have to get inside the castle to see the king for your quest, but in order to do that you have to have a writ of passage(the special item) otherwise the guard keeps you from entering. What I can't figure out is a chain of events(or the right single event) that makes it so the guard stops the party if they dont have the writ and allows the party to enter if they do have the writ. Can anyone help? Thanx
dabom7777
Dabom7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 10:20 PM   #2
Steve McDonald
The Magister

Try this:

Create a "stairs"/"teleport"/"transfer" event just inside the castle. In the event itself, type something along the lines of "The guard tells you that you need a writ of passage to enter." and set the option to "activate event when... party attempts entry". Unselect "ask yes/no question". Click the "teleport destination" button and enter the destination as the cell from which the party will be trying to enter the castle (and correct facing). I find it easiest to "use X,Y" rather than setting an entry point.

That's all for that event.

Choose "event trigger... party not have item", and set special item to "writ of passage". You need to have created this separately beforehand, so that it appears in the list. Finally, set the chain trigger to "if event does not happen".

Chain another event (a "text statement", say) to the stairs/teleport/transfer event. This would say something like "The guard looks you over. When you show your writ of passage, she lets you pass". (You could set this to occur if party has item "writ of passage" but this is not necessary due to the chain trigger in the previous event.)

Hope this helps. If you need more, let us know.
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 03:53 AM   #3
Dabom7777
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK I did everything you told me to the letter and checked it and double checked it and it's still not working. Whats happening is its giving me the text from the first event "you cant enter unless you have a writ" and then transporting me even though I didnt get the writ yet.ggrrrrr....
Old 09-06-2002, 11:06 PM   #4
Steve McDonald
The Magister

That's how it's supposed to work. If you don't have the writ it tells you need the writ, then transports you. If you do have the writ the event doesn't happen and you are not transported. The teleport destination puts you back outside the castle, but if you don't teleport you are allowed inside. Of course you could also put a "transfer" event as the second in the chain (instead of text statenment) and have it teleport you to another level (the castle).

The point of using the teleport event for the first event is that it allows the event to occur upon an attempt to enter - you don't get to glimpse the inside of the castle before the guard kicks you out.

I hope this is making sense.
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 01:09 AM   #5
Dabom7777
Elite Waterdeep Guard

THANX!!I GOT IT TO WORK!!!YAY!!WOO HOO!!FIREWORKS AND RUBBER CHICKENS!!!
Old 09-07-2002, 09:14 AM   #6
foody
Manshoon

Rubber chicken, yeach! LOL

[ 09-07-2002, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: foody ]
I would like to thank you man sooooooooooooooooooooo much for creating the best maker in my life. IT KICK ASS!! * HUGS * Thank you soo much, thank you so much ^____^*.<p>I can hardly wait to see this program support onlining. Heheheh, imagine if online is supported ^^*.
foody is offline   Reply With Quote