Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2003, 05:29 PM   #11
Lovisa
Manshoon

If u have a black belt u are good at karate, if u have earned the black belt u must have been good. I think that ppl with black belts think that they are the best and then they might just lay off with the trainin cause they already have te black belt and doesn't have to train more. I say beat that guy up and tell him that u aint needing no black belt to kick the little punks ass!
Old 06-09-2003, 05:39 PM   #12
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I'll never forget hearing a teacher of martial arts say to his class that a) a boxer will beat a martial artist in a fight. Why? Because a boxer learns to take a punch. And, b) If you must defend yourself, get the first shot in and...run! Some of the soundest advice I ever heard.

However, my brother-in-law is a second degree black belt in karate and if he ever hit you with his legs, i.e., kick, you'll fly across the room. He is so strong he'd break your ribs easily. I personally know of one person who when they were in 9th grade already was a balck belt, but if you looked at him you'd swear he was a geek: glasses, real thin, nerdy looking. Well 3 senior football players thought they take a shot at him in the hall between classes. A teacher was a witness to this and watched as this kid beat the living tar out of them. When it was all done the teacher said they deserved everything they got. True story.

I say all this to make the point: You just never know. One must have the mental toughness to go along with the physical training.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:02 PM   #13
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Black Belt is an arbitrary term with little standardization and means different things to different schools. One thing is for sure, raw power can overcome almost any obstacle. Four years during school age is a large gap for growth.

My advice? Ignore him and his boasting completely, please don't pick fights with a kid four years younger than you. If you lose, you'll look stupid. If you win, you'll still look stupid. It's a lose-lose situation. Keep a wide berth.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:48 PM   #14
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Having black belt does not mean you are good, It means you did enough in your black belt exam to get that belt. This is how I got my Taekwando black belt.

no need to punch the nose, just jab him in his throat and he will go down immediately.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:56 PM   #15
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Light Bulb

I have a black Glock.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:00 PM   #16
Niadh
Elminster

A belt for karate means you know how to-
A: make the moves look perfect enough
B: do the moves on someone else who is trained in what to do with the moves

But if a person smashes a fist to their face they will not be as good at what to do. Take self defence classes, they are jsut about smacking and running mostly.

I think that while the karate ninja guy might be good at karate, a good smack to the nose will shut him up
A Knight is sworn to darkness. <br />His heart knows only hatred.<br />His sword destroys the helpless,<br />His might imprisons the weak.<br />His wrath upholds the wicked, <br />His word speaks only lies.<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.boomspeed.com/niadh/newiwsig.jpg\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 06-09-2003, 09:41 PM   #17
Animal
Gold Dragon

Karate in a controlled environment is one thing, a street fight is something completely different. The fact that he's threating to beat you up suggests he isn't very disciplined. Martial arts or not, a broken nose will still have the same effect, his eyes will water so much, he won't be able to see.

In my younger days, I got myself into a a few scraps here and there, and being that I'm a fairly big boy, I got the best of MOST of them, but violence is never a solution to a problem. There is always somebody, somewhere bigger and tougher than you are.

What was that line...? The best way to avoid a punch is to not be there. Good advice.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:07 PM   #18
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I have a black Glock.
LOL!!! that was just perfect johnny.

"hey you black belt? i black glock... bang bang" hehehehe

back to the topic... yeah you can kick his ass... REAL black belters don't even start fights... but once you attack them *poof* lights out and they're gone...
Old 06-10-2003, 01:06 AM   #19
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

IMO it all depends on 1) who their trainer is/was 2) how long they were training and if they are still training 3) and most important the smaller they are does not mean anything, the smaller they are the more dex and moveribility they will have, I.e able to out move any blow you throw, so my advice is just say yeah ok you have a black belt, good for you, not with saracasm either, and then be about your business and ignore him it is a lose/lose situation, you will be seen as a bully if you win and a wimp if you lose
Old 06-10-2003, 02:19 AM   #20
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Karate is based around self defence, not actually "fighting." All the people who I know, who have learnt Karate say that it's more of a mind and fitness art, rather than a true fighting art, e.g. kung fu

You should have no trouble Beaumanoir

Fighting isn't always the answer though