Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 04-02-2001, 11:18 PM   #21
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Chai:
This is a phenomena I call "nothing would have been better than something". Romances and strongholds are not staples of RPG's, if the designers had not put them in no one would complain "this game could use romances and strongholds". But now that they did everyone has a bone to pick.
I think it's pretty sick when the designers put a feature in the game that only adds to it and can be skipped anyway but recieves only pain for their trouble.
I think you misunderstand..... WE ENJOY COMPLAINING! It's all part of the fun!
As for Anomen, we would enjoy hating him even without the Romance option, lol! We are VERY HAPPY that the designers put in these features! WE LOVE 'EM! We wouldn't be without 'em! Most women gamers would like someone nicer for the Romance option, sure, but, hey! We don't take it seriously! Lighten up, and enjoy the bitching, lol! It's FUN!

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Old 04-02-2001, 11:30 PM   #22
Chai
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
As for Anomen, we would enjoy hating him even without the Romance option, lol!

Hehe true enough. Personally, I hate Nalia. Everytime she goes off on "not accomplishing anything standing around here blablahblah" I get the intense urge to put my fist through the monitor. Does anyone else recognize the voice actor that does his Anomen's voice? I swear I recognize it from some cartoon but I can't remember......
Old 04-03-2001, 03:58 AM   #23
Lord Shield

50 ways to torture Anomen? mmmm. he could do with public humiliation, the pompous ass! something light, like being stripped, tied to a horse backwards and sent through a car wash while the town pelts him with cow poo

Old 04-03-2001, 04:21 AM   #24
Lifetime
Red Dragon

George Michael is gay..
He's really really really gay..argh!
The programmers at Black Isle must really favour male gamers.
I wonder what the romances in Throne of Bhaal will be like..
Mazzy perhaps? Or Jan? Oohh what about Korgan?? Or better yet Edwin!!

------------------
Why?
Old 04-03-2001, 07:38 AM   #25
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
The programmers at Black Isle must really favour male gamers.

Actually, I think they're probably just misinformed. There is a prevailing myth out there that says women don't like computers, computer games, etc. Until I found this wonderful community Ziroc has created, I thought I was the only woman who loved CRPGs and Dragons. It would be interesting to know just how many women are actually on the boards. We may find that the numbers are more like 2 males to 1 female ... which is a lot more than the gaming industry gives us credit for ... and I think that number is growing as more women discover this wonderfully entertaining activity.

And while I agree that Anomen isn't the best choice for a romance character, he did manage to play on my sympathy enough for me to complete the romance ... he got rather sweet toward the end.

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Most Happy Taker of Zeeke
and member of the
Moon's Hope Inn
Ladies Guild
Old 04-03-2001, 05:36 PM   #26
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:
I thought I was the only woman who loved CRPGs and Dragons. It would be interesting to know just how many women are actually on the boards. We may find that the numbers are more like 2 males to 1 female ... which is a lot more than the gaming industry gives us credit for ... and I think that number is growing as more women discover this wonderfully entertaining activity.

I am female and have been playing RPGs for about 5-6 years - and I am 64 yrs old! I have read fantasy all my life, and Gaming is natural thing for me! I also think there are lots of female gamers and I am going to put a question on the General Forum to check it out!

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Old 04-03-2001, 07:13 PM   #27
Epona
Zartan

F, I agree with you.

Tell you what, I think the companies that produce computer games should stop thinking up 'games for girls/women' and realise that many women like similar games to men. There is a truly awful (IMHO) sports game out there called 'Equestriad' which involves moving a little horse around a show jumping arena. I am sure that the company that produced it were thinking of producing something they could sell to girls when they came up with that, and it is the biggest pile of (censored) out there. There is no gameplay and no thought required. Similarly 'Barbie' themed PC games - what is that about? When I was a kid my favorite toy was a train set anyway. I am sure that more women buy what are considered 'mens' games than the market researchers estimate. Another thing I saw on the shelves of my local store was Cosmopolitan makeover game. I mean, PLEASE!

I personally also love strategy games - another area considered by games companies to be mainly for men. I don't appreciate games which are badly thought out, patronising, and based on an assumption of what women would like. I like to see games with interesting and varied gameplay, well thought out plots, not too simple or easy - something a bit challenging. In other words, exactly the same as male strategy/RPG gamers look for! BGII meets all of these criteria, and IMHO I would not 'give it less marks' because there was only one romance for female PCs - but neither do I appreciate being considered a second class gamer because I have a pair of (censored) and no (censored).

BTW, all (Censoring) is my own work.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas and The Ladies Guild.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:21 PM   #28
Lord Shield

I honestly couldn't say. I'm 31 and have been role-playing since about 14. How do I get my girlfriend intereseted in joining in? What started you ladies on RPGs?

Old 04-03-2001, 07:48 PM   #29
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
I honestly couldn't say. I'm 31 and have been role-playing since about 14. How do I get my girlfriend intereseted in joining in? What started you ladies on RPGs?
I got into PnP RPGs when I was about 13 or 14, playing after school and at weekends with friends. A couple of us also had what passed for computers in those days, so our other pastime was playing computer games.

It's difficult to say what attracted me to playing PnP RPGs. I was really into acting when I was that age - amateur drama groups, that sort of thing, so that was one aspect of RPG that appealed to me - just pretending to be someone different.

Also the fantasy aspect - I have always liked fantasy & sci fi books. We also used to do large scale sci fi wargames which went on for days. Me being a girl just didn't seem to matter to the all-male group that I joined for these games, it was never an issue. I was just a fantasy/sci fi/computer/music/horror films fan same as they were, and it was one of the first groups of friends I had where I felt completely accepted and where I didn't have to act a part to try to fit in. I guess that helped a lot!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas and The Ladies Guild.
Old 04-04-2001, 04:07 AM   #30
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Bilqis, you scare me
Anomen sweet? Thank the Fates I never played a female PC..

------------------
Why?