Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2002, 06:11 AM   #1
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Counterspells. What Are They, And When Should I Use Them??
Old 08-25-2002, 10:48 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm not a big fan. By the time you work out what it is and how to counter it, the enemy has cast it anyway. Plus you need to invest valuable skill points into Spellcraft - points you could be pouring into other skills.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 10:49 AM   #3
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Oh, LOL, My Spell Craft Is On 10 Already. Darn...
Old 08-26-2002, 07:41 AM   #4
perk31
Manshoon

Even without knowing the spells, it never hurts to use dispel or spell breach against a tough foe, especially if your examiniation shows a bunch of buffs.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
komo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

let's say i have enough points on Spellcraft to identify up to lv.4 spells. but i have only spells up to lv.3.

is it possible for me to counterspell a lv.4 spell??
Old 03-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

Counterspell lets you negate the magic one enemy uses, if you have the right spells memorised to do that.

For example, a wizard is trying to Slow your party. You'd need a version of Dispel magic (all four work) or a Haste spell memorised. This spell will be 'used' just as though you'd cast it but without any of the benefits.
Basically you are sacrificing your own spells to contain the enemy's. It doesn't always work, but being higher level and having a good spellcraft helps a lot. Alternatively, have someone else join you in trying to counter the same wizard's spells.

You typically go into counterspell mode before the enemy even casts a thing. Since it keeps you occupied without harming the opponent, counterspelling is most useful when
- you and he are the only ones around and you can outlast him
- you are with a party of others, want to keep them safe from the enemy's magics, and can't swiftly dispatch the enemy caster by other means.
In solo play, you don't really want to bother, and in multiplayer, it depends on whether you are better off stopping most of one wizard, or using magic to kill many more. Which in turn depends on your other party members and the opposition. In general you don't counterspell unless it's part of a pre-determined strategy, and perhaps especially because of that, it can catch the enemy off-guard and win you the battle.

To answer Komo's question, yes, you can, you just have a greater chance of failure.

To respond to Memsie, not really true. Only wizards and sorcerers can counterspell reliably, and for them spellcraft is always a good skill to choose. Stating it makes them spend points in the wrong places is like claiming heavy armor isn't meant for fighters because they have to pour points into Strength to wear it without penalty.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote