Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 12-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #51
uk_john
Dungeon Master

Default Re: W&W - First time player

Thanks for the help Wolf Rider 2. Bit much about the random items in chests. All RPG's have that. I remember in Oblivion when I first saw a chest with 5 tumblers you had to pick and thinking 'there must be something valuable in here', but of course, there wasn't, because how hard the chest was had no relation to what was inside! So it seems with W&W!

Given that lockpicks are so hard to get hold of, and expensive, it's a shame that chests have random items. These two things don't go together and are the number one problem I find with this game so far! After all, in the first Crypt quest you need to break into a chest to get a quest item, and yet the game makers must have known that early on you would not have a high level rogue and knew they had not made lockpicks available hardly at all compared to swords and bow, for example!

As to night/day, I suppose you leave and if it's night, go back into town, bit how long to wait? Or does the game 'add time' each time you have a conversation in one of the buildings?

If I may be so brave, there do not seem many tips for the early parts of the game, but many for the later parts. The walkthrough just says 'go to the crypt and talk to the ghost' - I still haven't found how to reach him! I have a closed gate in a statue room to get past, but no mention of that puzzle anywhere in the tips section or walkthroughs! I got to find and kill the mummy and got the locket (but conferred very little for what seemed a 'boss battle'!), but there was a solid gold urn that I couldn;t do anything with and thought I should, and maybe I can but I don't know how, because the manual, the walkthrough and the tips here and elsewhere are all about the last half of the game, not the first 10% I may never find out expect by trial and error!

Last edited by uk_john; 12-30-2009 at 05:20 PM.
uk_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:32 AM   #52
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Ah, yes, the first part of the game. It is quite long. Where exactly are you up to?
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:02 AM   #53
uk_john
Dungeon Master

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!

Well, I have got a little further, thanks to memories from forgotten games, like realising that an elevator has a roof as well as a floor, so from the mummy room I pushed the button to send the elevator down and then quickly jumped off, then jumped on the roof as it went by. There were some bandit rogues blow, so I suppose they pushed the crystal to make the elevator go up. I frantically looked around, thinking I might be crushed, but found the upper corridor and the moving wall that takes you back to the lower statue room.

Purely through the luck of moving the amulet given by the mummy to a weaker wizard (learning it gave +1 AC) I noticed it was readable and read the inscription. I assumed the statue of this lady was Kareth and recited the quote on the amulet and the statue spoke back, but the gate didn't open.

So that's where I am. All the rooms in the crypt have been searched this side of that portcullis gate in front of that statue.

What I find frustrating is how little information the game gives you. Maybe I have been spoiled by other games that have books, etc to read. For example, I don't even know if this statue is Kareth, so I don't even know if I am reciting from the amulet at the right place! Would it hurt to have had a panel or something at least saying who this person is who has been made a statue of?

I am sure I have to do something with this statue to open the portcullis, but as to what, I have no idea. When I recited to the statue and it responded, I really thought I would turn around and the gate would open, but it wasn't. So now I am stuck. If this is the 'beginner dungeon, I am not sure I want to know what the hard dungeons are like!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #54
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

I think there are two inscriptions on the amulet. From what I remember, what you have to say is...

SPOILER

Sanctus Kerah, I think, is the right one. She should say something and then the portcullis opens.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #55
uk_john
Dungeon Master

That's what I said. So I have gone back and said it again and this time she replied with the same words and the gate did open.

My complaint is still the same, the manual doesn't tell you enough, the game doesn't tell you enough (via the Journal, etc), the walkthrough's don't tell you enough, so you don't know what you are doing wrong or whether it's a bug, etc! As I say, if this is the starter dungeon how difficult will later in the game get?

I have played games like Daggerfall and Wizardry that do not hold your hand at all, but they do give small clues. If you don't know who's who or what's what it's usually because you haven't read the journal, or a scroll, or a book that you should of. In W&W your blind because the game tells you nothing! I don't mind losing due to battles, or because I cannot solve a puzzle, but not because I am just not given enough information to be able to make decisions!

I found the Warrior and Mage ghosts, and despite being told only enchanted steel would work, my Rogue's Dagger and Warriors Rapier seemed to work fine and they weren't enchanted! I am projecting forward and it may get better, but givn how little info I have been given for this starter dungeon, I just cant see me finishing this game!

I should have got the clue when I asked the bartender in the tavern for rumours, and he said he had some if I paid 50 gold. which I did, he then told me something he had already told me!

One thing you can tell me - given how large this starter crypt is, how much bigger are future dungeons!?

Last edited by uk_john; 12-31-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: new info to give
Old 01-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #56
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Oh, you are going to hate the Serpent Temple. It's huge, and incredibly confusing. Yeah, the game can be very hard. Especially when you are up to the bit with the crystals that the two ghosts should have dropped. You'll meet zombies soon (technically they're asylum ghouls, but I prefer the term zombies).

We'll help in any way we can.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #57
uk_john
Dungeon Master

WOLF RIDER2 - HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR MATE! What a gentleman and scholar you are!

I should say I do like the battles, but it the rest I am still not keen on. I di get free I.D.s from the town about which crystal was which. If I had had to pay I would have been annoyed again, as they both look identical - you'd think they would have made them look different!

If the bartender is going to cheat me out of money, then I may not ask for rumours for a long time, so I don't pay him and then hear the same rumour, but that may mean I miss something. Also, I am supposed to find someone in the crypt for the wizard quest, and now I have found a lady called Kalliene (I think) who wants something else from the crypt. If where you place the warrior or mage crystal is near the end of this dungeon I am not sure where I am going to find this person for the Mage Guild or this amulet to free Algimon (or a name like it)!

Anyway, thanks for all your help! Have a happy 2010!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #58
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Ah, yes. Well.

SPOILER

Algamesh's Amulet is in the beginning of the Crypt, in one of the chests, before you meet the random Dwarf, Rethpian. Scabban is inside the actual asylum. He doesn't look like a person, though. You will have to find him, as he is right next to where you need to go to find Nivius.