Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2001, 11:48 PM   #1
SPIDER-MAN
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have looked under every tree in Friendly Arms Inn and still cannot locate this ring. Should I have looked for it befor loading TOSC? I cannot find it on the FAI map screen anywhere.

Dynaheir ring finger is getting cold.............Boo is not happy!!!

Thanks for any tips
Old 11-28-2001, 12:40 AM   #2
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

It should be there if you have Tales patched.

However if it doesn't appear after patching ToSC you could always cheat it in with the CLUA console. Just in case you don't know how to use the CLUA console:

To enable cheats:

1) from Start menu run a search for the file: baldur.ini (it is in your BG folder and just says 'baldur' and it is a notepad document)
2) open baldur.ini and under the heading Game Options type:

Cheats=1

case-senstive, exactly as shown.

To use a cheat code in the game:

1) minimize the dialogue bar (click the lower of the two little arrows for dialogue box)
2) while unpaused type in the cheat. In this case for the RoW:

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("RING08")

case-sensitive, exactly as shown.

3) hit enter

Your ring will appear in the backpack.
Old 11-28-2001, 01:32 AM   #3
Mossy
Dungeon Master

This really has to be one of the hardest items to find as it only uses a couple of pixels.You can find it at x=2555, y=3759 on the Friendly Arm Inn map. Use L to show your mouse cursor position.
Mossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 02:07 AM   #4
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

The tree in question is outside of the fortress wall on the south side of the map (outside the front wall of FAI). Starting outside of the fortress at the gate, if you walk due east it is at the foot of the first bluish pine tree you come upon (looks like a christmas tree). Move the cursor very slowly around the base of that tree. It should be there at the coordinates given.

Not totally sure, but I guess there's a chance that if you added Tales and the Tales patch in mid game it's possible that it might not show up until you start a new game...
Old 11-28-2001, 12:42 PM   #5
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I should probably point out that there is another one in Baldurs Gate. A big house on the South Western wall of the city. A mage inside who gets very angry and has a Ring of Wizadry - that is easier than trying to cheat or find it in a wood.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 05:15 PM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Hit the L button first. I found the ring at this location: x:2553 y:3761 (this is the one outside of the Friendly Arm Inn btw)

Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to find it, I had to move my mouse slowly over the area for ages before I finally got it!

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 10:12 PM   #7
chinese noodle
Manshoon

im not a my computer at the moment but if someone tell me how to link a picture here i will take a screenshot of EXACTLY where it is and put it up soon
Old 11-29-2001, 10:23 AM   #8
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The co-ordinates given for the ring (in the earlier posts) are correct, but ONLY if you are playing BG1 without TotSc OR if you are playing the patched version of TotSC. Apparently, the Ring was removed in the first version of TotSC and then re-instated (after much shrieking and wailing by gamers on the official message boards over at interplay/bioware) with the TotSC patch. (I think I am remembering that correctly)

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 11:57 AM   #9
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

I can tell you it defintiely is there with ToSC with patch 1.3.5512--that's what I play with and said RoW is there.

The following is from the Gate House (http://www.pottsland.com/baldur/main.shtml), a site that does not include info about ToSC:

"If you start a new game after installing the 1.1.4315 patch, the Ring of Wizardry is not on the Friendly Arm map (new location, if any, unknown). If you start a game without the patch and visit the Friendly Arm Area, then install the 1.1.4315 patch and go looking for the Ring of Wizardry, it will be there (must have visited Friendly Arm map prior to installing the patch). We do not yet know if the 1.1.4315 patch has any effect on any other Hidden Items."

So apparently a pre-ToSC version of the BG patch took the ring out, although you could work around that and get it to appear depending on at what point in na game you installed the patch. I'm not totally sure, but perhaps a subsequent version of the pre-ToSC patch (later than v 1.1.4315) put it back in as Micah was saying...

Anyway, I think ToSC, either unpatched or patched, puts the easter egg RoW back in. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've never been clear on the chronology of this.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:45 PM   #10
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ooops. My bad. I think you have the chronology correct. It was the BG1 patch that took the ring out, and the TotSC expansion that put it back.

I knew I was going to get that wrong .... lol.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote