Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-17-2004, 01:46 AM   #11
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucern:
That sounds the same as the attacks people with Macs get from PC users
Or pick your favorite Holy War:
  • Sega vs. Nintendo
  • UNIX vs. The World
  • Linux vs. {Free,Net,Open}BSD
  • GNOME vs. KDE
As with real Holy Wars, the arguments are heated because the actual substantive differences are pretty minor
Old 11-17-2004, 03:59 AM   #12
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null1:[*]GNOME vs. KDE[/QB]
vs. Fluxbox vs. Ratpoisen vs. Enlightenment vs. WindowMaker... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2004, 05:31 AM   #13
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null1:[*]GNOME vs. KDE
vs. Fluxbox vs. Ratpoisen vs. Enlightenment vs. WindowMaker... [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QB][/QUOTE]Uhhh no, the argument he was pointing out was the everlasting KDE vs. GNOME war.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:59 AM   #14
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I harass people who own GameCube too (unless they have another console to go with it...like ps2/xbox). My GC experinces have been very drab (pikman, lugis mansion, PSO...ugh) with the only exception being Super Smash bros Melee. There's a reason it's only like $89 new... [img]tongue.gif[/img] *pets her xbox with it's xbox only games coughhalo2cough*
Old 11-17-2004, 06:54 AM   #15
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Warning: Rant..

Ok, sure, it makes sense for Microsoft to try to stop piracy. After all, they exist as a proprietry company and their profit comes from over charging for things (like all other proprietry software distributers). Thus, piracy circumvents their over-pricing and they potentially loose money. So, yes, they need to stop piracy.
But, I still have a problem with this. Because this doesn't just stop someone from playing on XBox live with pirated games. It makes it impossible to improve the XBox in any way. Want more RAM? Want better rendering algorithms? Want to play a Playstation game on it? Sorry, Microsoft don't want that. And why? What is an XBox? Essentially, it is a packaged computer that is specifically optimized for gaming. Get that? It is a computer. The out-of-the-box hardware and software is chosen by Microsoft... and rightfully so (who else would you want to control what goes into a Microsoft packaged system?). But if you want to upgrade your hardware (which is supposedly both possible and easy) to something that suits your needs better, you won't be able to go online with it. To me, this is Microsoft wanting complete control over you. They decide how you use your computer, and what for. The out-of-the-box optimizations should be just that: optimizations. They may be at the expense of other things (because that's the way these things always go), but they should never enforce usage. Buy it from the shop, you can guarantee that it is as it was made by Microsoft, but why should that stay the same?

Just imagine if mainstream PC dealers did this. You would have to buy a completely new computer when all you wanted to do was to add 64MB of RAM, else your modem would refuse to work.
People already make noise about some companies (for example, Dell) "tatooing" their harddrive such that you can't remove the default Operating System from it (so, if you're given Windows 98 and want a full install(non-upgrade) of XP, you can't do it), and that is less prohibitive than the situation in question. So people would complain about this even more. There is very little difference here, except that a console is set up to be optimal for gaming, while a mainstream computer has to be completely average: no expensive optimizations. And why should that affect our freedoms?
Old 11-17-2004, 10:39 AM   #16
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... I'm going to go on the MS side here -- waitaminnit!

*steps into flame suit*

From what I see from this article, MS is not preventing you from modding your XBox. What it is saying is that people with modded XBoxes are not welcome in their house, XBox live. Anything they want to do on their own, in their own world, is fine... just not in MS's house. I have no problem with that.

Now, that opens the door to the definition of a mod. What's acceptible, and what's not? Should more memory be a problem? Or not? That's where I think MS should open a dialogue with the gaming community to set some ground rules for what's acceptible. Rather than fighting against the modding community, they should work with it.

Either that, or it's time for XBox UnLive, the alternative network, to show up...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:23 AM   #17
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Nobody want's to play in a game world of souped up PK'ers or compete against modded opponents. Too many experiences like this and you lose a lot of business. They have a right to protect their playing field from mods as much as the sports arena has a right to protect their fields from performance enhancing substances.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:46 PM   #18
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Blue03:
My GC experinces have been very drab (pikman, lugis mansion, PSO...ugh) with the only exception being Super Smash bros Melee.
There's your problem. With games like those, who would want a Gamecube?
Old 11-17-2004, 02:25 PM   #19
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Sythe:
[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Funnily enough I have an Xbox and give the GaYmecube owners at my school a hard time. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Must be an Xbox owner thing. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Join the club, me too [img]tongue.gif[/img] Hehehe they deserve it!

GET A REAL CONSOLE!!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:38 PM   #20
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I totally support Microsoft in this effort. If you want to mod a computer, buy a computer. The Xbox is made and marketed and sold as a console system. Microsoft isn't individually prosecuting anybody, they are merely protecting their site from a flood of annoying eff-ing munchkins with invulnerable characters coming onto Xbox live and spoiling it for all. If you want to mod your Xbox to play playstation games, go ahead, but don't expect to be welcomed onto the M$ site, because you broke M$ rules.

For their price, all consoles are an incredible steal. It's not like you're being told you can't upgrade your car or something.

Funny, I don't even play Xbox Live and I see the wisdom in this.