Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-24-2001, 11:42 PM   #11
Ares

I would think the Ranger: Beastmaster kit would be difficult, you get no Metal weapons, and no armor. I'm soloing a Sorceress on Hard difficulty and its hard as hell. I've died like, 50 times already...oh yea, dont cast a Djinni in town, the guards dont like it

D2 is a cool game I like it because its Different from BG2 so if you ever get disgusted by dying to many times (like i do if i die once )
It does get boring, but by that time, you want to play BG2 again. Or if you dont, just play a different game (Unreal Tournament for me )
Old 11-24-2001, 11:56 PM   #12
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

i think the Beastmaster. tried it once, couldnt get past Umar Hills. but then again, that was a long time ago... i should probably go back and try it again, think?
Old 11-25-2001, 12:36 AM   #13
Thrawn
The Magister

Ares- why are you finding it so hard to solo an sorc on hard?

I probably could help you with some spells etc... after all i have soloed the game ten time, five time with an mage, then three time with a bard, and one with kenshi/mage, and other one with a archer.

On Insane all the way i refused to downgrade the diff no matter how hard the battle was.

heh the sad thing i can easely solo say five frigghanks's clones all at onice around say level 20-30 on insane, and their breathe HURTS!
This is the place for Improved Ai Scripts by me<br /> [url]\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bwscript/files/PERSONAL/Iwishi\'s%20Stuff/\" target=\"_blank\">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bwscript/files/PERSONAL/Iwishi\'s%20Stuff/</A>
Old 11-25-2001, 01:26 AM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Mages, Why They Are Easy To Solo With.
----------------------------------------

STR: Why do you need STR? How much can a Quarterstaff/Scroll Case/Gem Bag/Robe/Cloak/etc... weigh? The only time I needed to wear a Strength Girdle was to carry the illitium ore for the Sir Sarles quest. I usually only have 12 STR for my Mages.

DEX: 18 DEX is ideal, but then you can survive with 8 DEX thanks to Stoneskin/Mirror Image/Blur/Mislead/etc...

CON: 17 CON, if only to sacrifice one point during Chapter 4. Hp, while nice, is not a main factor for Mage because they rarely get hit.

INT: 18 INT, for the spells, although you can reduce it if you are a Sorcerer.

WIS: 18 WIS only if you want to use the wish spells regularly, otherwise 10 is enough.

CHA: 12 is enough.

Archers? Protection from Normal Missiles/Stoneskin/Mirror Image/Blur/Mislead/etc... Arrows smrrows, the enemy Archer has nothing on a Mage.

You know what I find hilarious? The number one cause of death for my solo Sorcerer on Insane Difficulty is myself, because sometimes I misjudge distance and set off too many spells near my Sorcerer.

Once you attain level 15, you become very strong, and once you hit level 18, dying becomes accidental. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

To put it one way, my Sorcerer kills enemies with just one spell( Project Image) and has not rested yet since he stepped foot in Suldanesslar( thanks to Wish, currently in ToB).

Ever completed Suldanesslar to the end of SoA in less than an hour?( gametime) With a Sorcerer you can, and slightly longer for a Mage.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Old 11-25-2001, 05:25 AM   #15
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Mages, Why They Are Easy To Solo With.
----------------------------------------

STR: Why do you need STR? How much can a Quarterstaff/Scroll Case/Gem Bag/Robe/Cloak/etc... weigh? The only time I needed to wear a Strength Girdle was to carry the illitium ore for the Sir Sarles quest. I usually only have 12 STR for my Mages.

I gave mine the +20 strength girdle. If ever I was out of spells, or simply had to fight h2h, it came in handy. Especially vs Golems and Elementals when using the smiting rod, and respective elemental staffs.

Or, when using time stop, and whacking a mage with the staff of the magi a couple of times (dispel plus damage)

DEX: 18 DEX is ideal, but then you can survive with 8 DEX thanks to Stoneskin/Mirror Image/Blur/Mislead/etc...

I found high dex helpful. Without spells my Sorc had an armour class of -5. (Rings, cloaks, robes etc) Never needed stoneskin. Spell slots went on better things like Mantle/prot from magic weapons/Shapechange etc.

CON: 17 CON, if only to sacrifice one point during Chapter 4. Hp, while nice, is not a main factor for Mage because they rarely get hit.

Says who? I liked to shapechange into an Iron Golem to pound Elder Orbs for example. (100% magic resistance) High hitpoints were vital. With 18 constitution I had roughly 71 hitpoints at level 21. I could also take damage from my own spells. Fireballs near me? No worries.

INT: 18 INT, for the spells, although you can reduce it if you are a Sorcerer.

WIS: 18 WIS only if you want to use the wish spells regularly, otherwise 10 is enough.

Didn't know about he wish diff. What does it give you? I had 12 wisdom and always got shafted in the negotiations, so I didn't take the spell on. I made sure I had high wis (potion) when talking to Spectator Beholder of course, but otherwise.... blast it.

CHA: 12 is enough.
Maybe. I had 10 and kept the ring of human influence nearby to slip on when dealing with NPCs. I always found high Charisma useful.

Once you attain level 15, you become very strong, and once you hit level 18, dying becomes accidental. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Yeah yeah, tough talk. I still had to do many reloads and I was level 22. Mind you, I like changing tactics around. I'm not one to use the "same spell" every time.

Ever completed Suldanesslar to the end of SoA in less than an hour?( gametime) With a Sorcerer you can, and slightly longer for a Mage

Yes, with a solo Monk. Was a breeze. It took me longer with my solo Sorcerer.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-25-2001, 10:36 AM   #16
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Well, in the beginning, I use a Stoneskin + Mirror Image + Melf's Minute Meteors combo to take care of Golems. I try not to use my Sorcerer for melee as that is not his main strength. He can melee, but only to a certain extent. Clay Golems are more difficult to take care of, but 3 Lower Resistances will take care of them( and liberal amounts of Magic Missiles afterwards of course).

The reason why I do not rely on my STR is because I prefer wearing the Belt of Inertial Barrier which, to me at least, is more useful for my Sorcerer.

It reduces stupid deaths too if I accidentally set off too many Skull Traps near my Sorcerer. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

-5 AC may seem a lot, but it is practically worthless against high-level enemies. Not to say that it will not reduce hits, but Stoneskin will stop them cold anyway, freeing up item slots for other items like Ring of Wizardry/Ring of Acuity/etc... My Sorcerer does not wear Cloak of Mirroring though, he wears Cloak of Protection +2 since he has an eight-hour Spell Trap from the Staff of Magi.

Mirror Image takes cares of area-of-effect spells like Fireball/Cloudkill/Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting/etc... Strange as the logic may be, it does takes the hit for you, despite the fact that they are AoE spells. I still want 17 CON though, for the security blanket.

If your WIS is high, you have a better chance of getting good choices for the Wish spell. Some examples,

All party members' stats increase to 25 for 4 rounds.
Make as though party has rested and rememorise all spells.
Improved Haste on all party members.
Hardiness on all party members.
Greater Deathblow on all party members.

If you cast Protection from Magical Energy beforehand.

Cast ADHW on everybody.

And yeah, Monks are powerful, I will give you that; but can they complete ToB without resting once? This is because I am going to try to complete ToB within 1 week or less( gametime). [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2001, 11:27 AM   #17
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

And yeah, Monks are powerful, I will give you that; but can they complete ToB without resting once? This is because I am going to try to complete ToB within 1 week or less( gametime). [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thats going to be very tough. How can you do it with out resting? You need to rest.
Old 11-25-2001, 12:41 PM   #18
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Barb:
Thats going to be very tough. How can you do it with out resting? You need to rest.

I can fully recharge my Sorcerer by using the Wish spell.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:48 PM   #19
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Ah, that's the benefit of "wish". I tried it out with high wisdom and was disappointed. I got the same results as with 12 wisdom. Actually I was not disappointed. It meant my game was not in vain

Anyhow, I picked Imprisonment over Wish. Made the last battle much easier.

For me it's not just about success, but about fun.

Anyway, the choices from wish are a little disappointing to say the least. But anyhow.

Good call about the eight hour spell trap. I hadn't tried that as I had the cloak of mirroring on. I've been alternating it with he cloak of the sewers (ac bonus, plus troll shapechange = fast regeneration)

The graphic is soooo annoying for spell trap etc. Bugs the hell out of me. Wasn't that bad before ToB.

ToB disscussion:
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=

The big staples for me were Simulcrum, Shapechange (one or the other at one time though) and summon Planetar. Comet and Dragonsbreath were intersting too.

Shapechange is brilliant though. Low HP? Greater werewolf. Unlike Cernd's, this one regenerates exceptionally quickly. Very very fast.
Iron Golem is immune to magic, and Earth elemental has a great attack!
Great fun. Mind flayer is a bit useless, but I really enjoyed the spell. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-25-2001, 05:02 PM   #20
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

quote:
Originally posted by Ares:
oh yea, dont cast a Djinni in town, the guards dont like it

LOL. Funny. Dont know why, just is [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]