Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 10-06-2002, 08:18 PM   #1
ChristinaDahmer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is it possible to export a character from IWD and put them into the original Baldurs Gate? Any insight would be appreciated [img]smile.gif[/img] .
ChristinaDahmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 08:30 PM   #2
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

I'm afraid not. While the games both use the infinity engine they were not designed to allow for the interchange of characters between them.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:58 PM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

ChristinaDahmer,

Welcome to the forum.

I know nothing about BG, other than the obvious (infinity engine, uses AD&D rules, etc.), nor your intent (are you content with playing the same skill character or do you need to see the same prtrait, carry exactly the same gear and hear exactly the same voice). However, I will offer some suggestions.

**If** BG uses 2nd edition AD&D rules, then I would think that you should be able to accomplish your intent by using a trainer to build a skills, stats, expo and rough inventory replica of your IWD character, for use in BG. Special inventory items (unique weapons, armour, etc.) would certainly not directly carry over; but you could customize an item that closely resembled the desired IWD item, or cheat something similar into inventory in place of the lost item.

This should be enough, if you are from the PnP mindset.

Furthermore, if you are knowledgable (which I am not) you might be able to get the same IWD portrait into your newly "cheated" BG character. (I dabbled in portrait customization, solely in IWD, and although I got web portraits into IWD, I lost interest before doing the same with exporting portraits FROM IWD, hand detailing them and then importing back into IWD.) IWD, and therefore perhaps BG, is finicky about the protrait size: You need a small protrait and a large portrait, and both need to be exactly the right size. Seems, though, that **IF** there is a method of customizing BG portraits, that it's a cinch that someone has figured out how to put any portrait, including IWD portraits, into BG.

Sounds would be tougher (for me); but maybe someone has figured out that one, too.

Lots of work. But, then, some folks thrive on that.

Hope this helps.

Party On!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 11:04 PM   #4
Sorcerer Alex

Well, you could just randomly generate a character in Baldur's Gate, then edit this character using Gate Keeper, making him or her exactly the same as your character in Icewind Dale. It's the closest you'll get to importing your character. And by the way, welcome to the forum [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 05:36 PM   #5
ChristinaDahmer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions everyone! *muah*
ChristinaDahmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 07:15 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

The half-elven cleric portrait (white hair, mace) is used for the character Jet in one of the BG1 mods. I think BG takes the same portrait sizes, but if not careful examination of the readmes will say what needs to be done.

*most* basic items are common to both BG1 and IWD, including potions, scrolls (for those spells present in BG, IWD has far more) and equipment. Artifact weapons are not generaly present. You might want to talk to DJG of the BG2 forum about item creation. I should be possible to import straight from IWD to BG, and if not it will certainly be possible given tools. But DJG is the one to talk to about that.

And the BG1 cap is only 89000 (161000 with TotSC expansion) so you might have to loose levels if importing a high level character.

Soundset I could do myself, cept my download directory with all my tools is in limbo on my network somewhere at the moment. Its a bit tricky to do, so if anyone else wants to volunteer i'll be more than happy to let them. ALthough Ill easily do it come the weekend if no one else does.