Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2004, 04:21 AM   #1
Cienden
Manshoon

Anyone ever get bored stiff and try this? I was interested in how far my party could advance into the game just staying at level 1. I got as far as when you hit the main orc encampment and they swarm you right at the beginning of the level and the troll steals that Cleric's moonblade. Had to level there because after I tried picking a few orcs off at a time, they finally all crowded over the spawn point linked to the previous map where I rested and so stomped me when I travelled back in from a good nights rest. Got fairly hard near the end, even on normal settings, but it was fun.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:51 AM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

You just have to be careful with that little trick. I had a team in HOF mode where I sat on the points after level 3 (or maybe 4). So we get to the dam and I finally leveled up. Everybody maxed out right there. Ouch. I didn't bother going on after that one.

Also, the experience comes in one big gulp, so multi-class characters can't advance properly. Everything ends up going into only one class. Another ouch.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 07:23 AM   #3
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
This is something many of my mates used to try back in the old goldbox second ed AD&D games. A sort of survival of the unwilling fittest.
Whilst being fun for awhile, I avoided it after being punished for a marathon session in Silver Blades. I recall that after obtaining enough xp to level up three times, I only gained the one as the xp levels of my characters rounded back to just 1 xp point over the level just gained.

So yeah, its not an action I normally reccomend in AD&D games unless you really are just experimenting or in denial of your own experience.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:06 AM   #4
InjaYew
Zhentarim Guard

You get more points per beasty it's true, but leveling up is a large part of the fun for me so I ain't gonna skip it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
InjaYew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:12 AM   #5
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Spoilers
I once got my party to level 5 and didn't level up until I had to either fight the guardian or kill every Yuan-Ti. I got such high levels when I did level up that I didn't get any exp for most of the enemies I killed from then on.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:00 PM   #6
remo
Welcomed New User

I'm not levelling if i can help it. Makes it moreof a challenge i think.
I currently have 4xlvl 8 chars, 1xlvl 13, 1xlvl 16, and all pcs are about to hit the lvl 17 experience point position
remo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:22 AM   #7
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I don't do this level until you've got multiple levels stuff because it's definately NOT meant to be. Which adventurer in the Realms would stop gaining skills and training and becoming better with every monster? Does NOT make sense. You could not actually choose when to gain a level, it would just happen. However, if you people want to play it like that, fine, I'm just stating that in the real deal it wouldn't be possible