Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-09-2001, 06:02 PM   #21
Charlie
Lord Ao

Cheers chaps.

I was unaware that wis/int can affect this character. You learn something new every day. Con' won't go above 17 because he's an Elf and Dex' gets an extra point for the same reason (I think.) If an Elf is limited in Con', then when I find the Con' increase tome will it be useless to him? Or can it be bumped up via magic, ie the tome? Looks like Shadowkeeper may get used straight off to re-arrange the stat's, dunno, I'll think on it.

Cheers for the education.

Oh yeah.

Why should it be easier to roll better stat's for one class as opposed to another?
Surely if all things are fair then all rolls should be attainable.... eg an 18 in every stat' although unlikely should at least be theoretically possible...or are there some behind the scenes modifications going on?
Old 02-09-2001, 06:19 PM   #22
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

HI Charlie !!

About the rolls, dont ask me why, but rangers (and paladins i think) get higher rolls than other classes.
And about the stats/tomes/races, the tomes increase your stats NO MATTER what race or class you are. For example, i had a nice female elven ranger with 19 str, 20 dxt, 18 con etc. The tomes Always work.

Charlie, may i know this character´s name ??
Old 02-09-2001, 06:34 PM   #23
Stealth Bomber

The reason is because they have the highest minimum stats to qualify for the class than any other, so the computer will not roll lower for those stats than the minimum pre-requisites.

Old 02-09-2001, 06:41 PM   #24
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi Ertai.

I try to link my characters names with a trait or something that is kind of descriptive of them in some fashion. The Fighter/Thief I'm using in a BG2 multi-player game is called Oakleaf. Nature and trees etc always spring to my mind when Elves are involved and I like to give them a sort of woodland type name. This new BG1 character I've called Shadowfern. Fern again is the natural woodland side of things that I link with Elves and Shadow is for the thieving and hiding attributes that he posesses. Add to that the fact that I hope to take over the Shadow thieves Guild and it seems to fit. Well in my twisted logic anyway. So Shadowfern is his name....Out of interest, why do you ask?
Old 02-09-2001, 06:43 PM   #25
Ramon

Hi Charlie,

I do not agree with the bomber on that charisma is not important, at least not if you want your pc to be the party leader and want to have a romance in BG II. There are so many great magical rings, especially for a thief, so keep those slots available for something else.

Shadowfern ? I like it, it sounds fitting.

What do you mean by proficiency allocation for elves ?
That it says in the race discription that they have a special talent for longbows and longswords ?

So long,

Ramon

Old 02-09-2001, 07:00 PM   #26
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi Ramon.

Is there a ring that will take Cha' to 18 in BG1? I don't remember it. I know there is in BG2 but that's a long way away yet.

Proficiencies, yes. When you start out you are awarded six slots that you can distribute as you wish. With my human fighter I gave 3 to Longbow and 3 to 2H Sword. I eventually had 5 in each and was happy with that.

Now I've started out in BG1 with this Elf and I cannot assign more than 2 points to 2H Sword. Why shouldn't I be able to assign all my available points to one proficiency if I want to? As i said before, I just can't work out the logic behind this. Will I be able to give more points to 2H Sword as the game continues? Personally they're my favourite melee weapons and I didn't even bother having the Crom Fayaer built in my first BG2 game. I preferred the advantages of the items that it required. I would like to try to go 5 2H & 5 L/bow again if poss'.

Cheers.
Old 02-09-2001, 07:32 PM   #27
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Charlie:

About profs, note that a thief wont be able to backstabb with a 2H ! And he won t be able to use long bows neither. Anyway, short bows (specially Tuigan) are much better than long bows in BG2. Anyway, you can change your profs when you inport to BG2 your BG1 character file, so dont worry too much about this.

About the name, i was just curious. Its great, i usually make them the same way but in elvish language taken from tolkien. My evil fighter-thief (elven too) is named Daegurth, where "Dae" means "shadow" and "gurth" means "death". I think its great !!

About charisma, i think having 12 or so is enough. You can use charisma boosting items when trading (nymphs cloak and algernons cloak in bg1 give +2 to charisma, helm of glory gives +1) and it will be fine. Or you can use a paladin (ajantis in bg1, keldorn in bg2) to be your party leader and let them do the shopping.
Old 02-09-2001, 08:16 PM   #28
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi.

Oh, my new guy can use a longbow, is it because he's dual class? Surely a Longbow deals out more damage than a short bow, incorrect if not. Personally I didn't rate the arrowless short bows in BG2, they didn't seem to do too much damage. I only used them for those that couldn't use longbows. Does strength affect damage done by a bow btw? Backstabbing I was not good at anyway, couldn't hit the side of a bus with a snowball on most ocassions. In a fight I tend to steam straight in and look em right in the eye as I'm disembowelling them, dunno why, I just want them to know who did it. I really liked becoming a grand master with a 2H sword in BG2, I received 9 attacks with improved haste and was knocking in 25 odd damage on connection, over 50 on critical. It's not that I want to do this per se, it's more that I would like the option to be open to me with this character and I can't work out why it isn't.

Great name you've come up with in Elvish there Ertai, well thought out. I may go down that path myself next time, it's a good idea. I'll have to dig out all my Tolkien books and study up a bit.

Regarding the stat's it seems I can't change them anyway. I had a go at experimenting but the thing doesn't seem to work for my BG1 characters...To be honest I'm going to stick "as is" now anyway and chalk this bit of learning to experience. Sods law is I've just nicked Algernons cloak off of him, mind you he is a fat bastard and I'll be amazed if it fits anyone.
Old 02-09-2001, 08:18 PM   #29
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Charlie, didnt you say you were a mechanic? I fly you here, you fix my fu$^*#@ van. I'm ready to shoot it in aggravation. Many many times.
Old 02-09-2001, 08:50 PM   #30
Charlie
Lord Ao

What's up LoA?

Do I sense a teensy bit of annoyance with said van? Post your problem and I'll see if I can talk you down. Obviously get the basics out of the way first. Swear, threaten, kick and punch it. Then talk to a mechanic. Post away LoA. If I can talk you through the problem I will. Mail me if you like and I'll respond in detail, you're more than welcome.