Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2000, 04:23 PM   #1
Baronslayer

I'm in Nalia's Keep and i just can't beet MaeVar (The Giant Troll in the Basement)please help

LPMSEinstein@Aol.com

Old 12-16-2000, 04:31 PM   #2
Holy Mage Wah

LOL, awwww baronslayer - you're mixing up your enemies man. maevar is the crooked thief who betrayed renal bloodscalp in the docks.

TORGAL is the troll you're talking about right?

sure - easy tactic = everyone stand near the door. get someone to 'inch' very slowly forward. torgal should see you then chase after you. quickly run and lure him to follow you to the previous room.

then shut the door to lock out the other 2 giant trolls, you party should be able to kill torgal in a combined attack without interference from the other 2 giant troll.

P.s - you could always come back for them later - after killing torgal

good luck!!

Old 12-16-2000, 04:35 PM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

Erm...no Maevar is the Guild Leader in Athkatla whom you're supposed to kill for Renal Bloodscalp but that's ok I forgot the trolls name too

Use one or two tough guys as tanks (Minsc/Jaheira/Korgan/Keldorn/Mazzy/Anomen...) and let the rest heal them whenever necessary. This troll regenerates REALLY fast so you'll have to do some massive damage really fast. Fire and acid work well (and are needed to kill him), for example use a fully charged Wand Of The Heavens (how to charge these to the max you can read in a recent thread on this board) and keep hitting him with FlameStrike or use a rapid succession of Magic Missiles. I don't know what level you are and therefore I don't know which of the good spells you have access to, and also how many spellcasters you have. I think the point is to just keep whacking the beast (either with magic or simply cold steel) so that the thing doesn't get a chance to regenerate.
Old 12-16-2000, 04:42 PM   #4
Holy Mage Wah

sorry, wrong melusine - ARAN LINVAIL is the shadowmaster of athkatla

renal bloodscalp is his 2nd in command
and maevar runs a nearby guild which i think was arranged by renal bloodscalp

Old 12-16-2000, 04:55 PM   #5
Holy Mage Wah

basically maevar's got a long way to be master of anything,

Old 12-16-2000, 04:56 PM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

No sorry Wah: Right Melusine

While MaeVar isn't the head of the shadowthieves in Athkatla (which is indeed Linvail), he IS a guildleader (A, not THE guildleader). He leads one of the minor subdivisions of the ShadowThieves (which is why it says on the map MaeVars Guildhall) and therefore he is A Guildleader. Hmmm. somehow when I posted the last message I already thought I should formulate it differently before someone would come out and scold me
Old 12-16-2000, 05:05 PM   #7
Holy Mage Wah

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yeah I see your point melusine. funny that such a crap thing such as maevar can get a guild.

er........is baronslayer going to get help with nalia's keep after all, from all of this info about maevar?

or maybe he has a bug and MAEVAR is the leader of nalia's keep. LOL

Old 12-16-2000, 07:22 PM   #8
Armisael

Mae'Var speaks like a cross between a snake and a male fashion designer.
That said, the only way you can kill Tor'Gal is the same way you kill every other troll. Bash him until he falls over. Like Wah mentioned, keeping the other two trolls out of the fight helps. You can lure Tor'Gal back into the previous room fairly easily with an invisible character (Tor'Gal can see - okay, smell - through invisibility, those other two idiots can't).

Old 12-16-2000, 10:20 PM   #9
ironfist

If you want a easy(cheap!) way to kill Torgal, let your mages
stand by the doorway and cast haste on your characters, let only
one go inn and talk to Torgal, after conversation he will chase you,
then let your mages cast cloudkill while you command your character back, once
he/she comes back you can lock the door, now Torgal cant reach you and is probaly dead,
it worked for me the first time I played. It is also possible
to confront them but make sure that you can summon a lot of creatures
and have a couple of decent fighter with you.

Old 12-16-2000, 10:55 PM   #10
Magness
Quintesson

If you happen to have Yoshimo in your party, here's a nasty trick for dealing with Torgal. After your battle prepping magic, have Yoshimo set is full daily quota of of special bounty hunter traps at the bottom of the steps inside the door. Then use a hasted character to get Torgal's attention and have him and his 2 troll buddies chase you to the doorway. If the traps don't completely whack him, there won't be much let for you to finish off.