Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #21
Lavindathar
Harper

Default Re: Any vegans here?

Had steak tonight.

It was f**kin awesome. lol.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #22
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
neither vegan or vegetarian are much my way. You do have to be careful about eating the right combinations of plant matter so you can still get a full protein set. Too many people try to go vegan or vegetarian without doing the necessary dietary research and end up getting sick.
Yes, there is that all too common danger. The thing about turning veg. is that you have to radically alter your diet to compensate for the lack of meat, also taking supplements ideally (and not crap supplements - the good, absorbant ones). The other thing is since you are slimming down your choices in food and heading into a minority group, your choices are again limited by availability and cost, since most of these more exotic dishes simply aren't bought by your everyday consumer and many are tailor-made which make 'em more expensive.

Another aspect though, which is worth noting is that meat is, as a general rule acidic where fruit/veg will generally be alkaline in PH. I have found that people who eat mostly veg diets (or semi-veggie), even if they don't take the right supplements or go all-out on variety to compensate for that nutritional loss, they still remain alot healthier than meat-eaters because usually their PH is far more alkaline than your average person. This has been my observation only regarding people who otherwise follow a healthy diet between the two respectively (i.e. no junk foods, lesser sugars etc.) but home-cooked meals that are generally considered healthy whether they are vegetarian or not.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #23
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavindathar View Post

I'd suggest a Thai Green Curry....easy to make, and lovely!
That's so rich, coming from you. 'Easy to make'? This man would struggle making toast. I kid you not. Once he tried to microwave a pie - it came out like charcoal.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #24
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Yes, there is that all too common danger. The thing about turning veg. is that you have to radically alter your diet to compensate for the lack of meat, also taking supplements ideally (and not crap supplements - the good, absorbant ones). The other thing is since you are slimming down your choices in food and heading into a minority group, your choices are again limited by availability and cost, since most of these more exotic dishes simply aren't bought by your everyday consumer and many are tailor-made which make 'em more expensive.
It certainly doesn't have to be more expensive to go vegetarian or vegan if you cook your own meals rather than buy pre-prepared meals. Meat is far more expensive than alternative protein sources like canned or dried beans or chickpeas. I don't buy a lot of the specialty vegetarian foods like vegetarian sausages or TVP, so I'm not sure whether they are more expensive than meat, though I doubt it.

I have followed a vegetarian (though not vegan) diet since the end of last year and haven't found that my diet has been radically altered at all - I still make things like pastas, curries, wraps, etc. but use beans or mushrooms and such as the protein source. Although, I was never someone to cook myself a steak - the meals I used to make including meat always had meat as a component rather than the major ingredient. I also don't need to take supplements as I have not found it hard to maintain vitamin and mineral levels, even iron, if anything I feel healthier than more energetic than before. I've also expanded the types of food that I eat - I would normally have never bothered with kidney beans and such but they are yummy! I also eat a wider variety of vegetables now too. What is hard is the hidden animal products like animal-based rennet and gelatin that you don't think of initially when you're trying to remove meat from your diet. Fortunately the brands of parmesan cheese and feta that I used to buy use non-animal rennet so I didn't have to transition too much. Don't buy blue cheese anymore though. Or jelly lollies . That's probably important for you, Kyrvias, to remember if you're making a vegan a meal. Like, don't accidentally use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock

Last edited by Aelia Jusa; 07-11-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Aelia Jusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #25
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumanoir View Post
That's so rich, coming from you. 'Easy to make'? This man would struggle making toast. I kid you not. Once he tried to microwave a pie - it came out like charcoal.
That was a long time ago. And ive watched people make currys...seem easy. They just throw shit in a wok.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #26
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Vegan huh?

Eh, nobody's perfect

I respect anybody that could do it personally, but I couldn't do it. We didn't get to the top of the food chain for nothin'
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #27
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelia Jusa View Post
It certainly doesn't have to be more expensive to go vegetarian or vegan if you cook your own meals rather than buy pre-prepared meals. Meat is far more expensive than alternative protein sources like canned or dried beans or chickpeas. I don't buy a lot of the specialty vegetarian foods like vegetarian sausages or TVP, so I'm not sure whether they are more expensive than meat, though I doubt it.

I have followed a vegetarian (though not vegan) diet since the end of last year and haven't found that my diet has been radically altered at all - I still make things like pastas, curries, wraps, etc. but use beans or mushrooms and such as the protein source. Although, I was never someone to cook myself a steak - the meals I used to make including meat always had meat as a component rather than the major ingredient. I also don't need to take supplements as I have not found it hard to maintain vitamin and mineral levels, even iron, if anything I feel healthier than more energetic than before. I've also expanded the types of food that I eat - I would normally have never bothered with kidney beans and such but they are yummy! I also eat a wider variety of vegetables now too. What is hard is the hidden animal products like animal-based rennet and gelatin that you don't think of initially when you're trying to remove meat from your diet. Fortunately the brands of parmesan cheese and feta that I used to buy use non-animal rennet so I didn't have to transition too much. Don't buy blue cheese anymore though. Or jelly lollies . That's probably important for you, Kyrvias, to remember if you're making a vegan a meal. Like, don't accidentally use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock
Well I was more so giving my thoughts of how I would do it given what I know about food and nutrition. I mean, you could of course go about it any way you want, and probably even save money when you shop vs. your old diet since meats vs. canned food for example is indeed alot more cash. If you are talking strictly no meat then yeah, I guess cheap canned foods could work, lots of pasta etc. (which is dirt cheap). I suppose I am viewing that as a poor-mans veggie diet.

You see, my reasons would be for health benefits as opposed to just not wanting to eat animals (even though that would be a plus for me). So, as far as healthy foods go I would avoid all foods that come from animals, especially dairy since the hormones and all the other pasturization BS that comes with it. Canned foods would be out for me also, due to heavy metals inside the foods (contamination) and the prepartion of these foods to ensure a long shelf-life at the cost of nutrition/safety. I would also go totally organic due to pesticide and hormone use in fruits/veg which is more expensive, and like I said I would go out of my way to find the speciality vegetarian foods which are indeed more expensive (understand I amn't talking about the veggie version of a TV dinner or a veggie burger in a fast-food joint).

These would be niche market products that are usually found in the alternative/organic section of a supermarket and most of the time they are priced along the line that the organic is also (higher than "regular" food since it is prepared differently and tailored to a certain group). We're not talking hundreds of dollars more but I mean on your shopping list you'll notice the difference. Now, this is just how I would do it and of course you are totally correct in saying this isn't the only way but if I wanted to do it "right" for me, then yeah it would be a radical change in my diet not to mention shopping and spending habits.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #28
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Instead of banging your head on the wall and tearing your hair off trying to figure out how to feed a vegan (vegetarian?). How about just making her a bowl of fruit/veggie Salad?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #29
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I had thought of that, but the thing about me is I enjoy cooking, and I enjoy challenges. Cooking for a vegan seems to be a winning combination.

Also, I admit I was curious as to trying the vegan lifestyle myself.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:21 AM   #30
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Go vegequarian!

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote