Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2001, 10:57 AM   #1
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Ive recently bought a graphics card, an ATI Radeon VE 64 MB, and BG2 isnt running smoothly like it should. I dont know how to explain the problem in english, but main problems are that when i scroll the screen, it goes like "jumping" instead of smoothly, and same for the mouse. The graphics themselves go ok i think, but sometimes i think i notice this kind of jumps too.

Any ideas ?
Old 12-10-2001, 11:14 AM   #2
perk31
Manshoon

I had a similar problem with a different ati card. It was caused by turning on some of the more advanced 3d options and a second time by running glsetup, which doesn't seem to like the ati driver.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:47 AM   #3
Jim
Quintesson

That's a nice card [img]smile.gif[/img]

Have you tried disabling 3D acceleration? If it still jerks with it turned off then there's a problem with the 2D sprite drawing of the card, but it's most likely to be an acceleration problem. Obviously you want the 3D effects though so try the following:

Make sure you've got the latest official drivers from ATI, and not the ones that came wiht your card. Since the Radeon had been designed for DX8, install (if you haven't already) DX8.1 from microsoft.
If it's still messed up, then make sure that there isn't a card sat in the PCI slot directly below the AGP card, as this slot shares IRQ's with the AGP port and can cause conflicts. If there is, then just relocate this card (if you can). Hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 05:03 PM   #4
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

I already had tried turning off 3d acceleration, it works better but still have little problems (its not that the graphics are completely messed, but those little jumps annoy me a lot, i want smoothness [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

About drivers, well, my card isnt an "official" ATI card, it just has that chipset. I went to the ATI site and downloaded 2 different set of drivers (i wasnt sure which of the two were the good ones) but none of them works, i get the message "these drivers aren´t designed for your card". Id like to get new drivers though.

I also have dx8.1.

I think im gonna cry

Thanks anyway for your help, more ideas are welcomed [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2001, 05:10 PM   #5
huma
The Magister

Usually by this time I call the tech support # that came with graphics card.They almost always have more info and help than the website.Go to the source,unless anyone else here knows what,s wrong with your system that is.
Old 12-10-2001, 07:00 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Ertai, should you happen to have a socket 7 motherboard in your system then your screwed. this happened to me. otherwise, contact technical support.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:09 AM   #7
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Well today i installed ToB. Apart from that, ive set the refreshing frequency of the monitor to 85hz.

The thing is that today i go out from the starting dungeon, and in the scene of the fight between Irenicus and the wizards, the graphics were TERRIBLE. So many animations, and that slowed the game a lot (which shouldnt happen with a graphics card !!). Im just lost . Im gonna check the PCI thing when i turn off the computer, and otherwise ill try to search the support telephone number and call them.

Thanks a lot
Old 12-11-2001, 02:58 PM   #8
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

OK, there isnt anything in the PCI below the AGP slot. Ive patched the game, and still nothing.

Shall i offer a reward of 1.000.000$ for anyone who solves this ?
Old 12-11-2001, 05:44 PM   #9
Jim
Quintesson

Have you played other games with your new card?? Does it jerk with everything that you play that uses opengl or direct 3d? If everything else runs smoothly, then you may have found an incompatability problem with BGII and that particular chipset. If ATI technical support dont help, then contact bioware.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 05:55 PM   #10
--= Clockwork =--
Elite Waterdeep Guard

heheh.... My BG2 graphics are screwed. Always. Just get over it and enjoy the story until you get a brand new very expensive completely customised computer.

Well that's my plan, anyway...