Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-09-2003, 10:40 AM   #11
Charlie
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Mojo:
Tipping should be your own choice. People shouldn't expect to get tipped, that's just ridiculous if you think about it...the whole point of a tip is kinda like a reward for excellent service, no?
TIPS is short for - To Insure Proper Service. At least that's what I heard on TV not so long ago.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 03-09-2003, 11:06 AM   #12
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

A good friend of mine used to spend 2 weeks in Bali surfing every other year,and he mentioned that in Bali a tip is an insult! They feel if you tip them you feel they didn't do a good enough job and your telling them heres a few more bucks to do it right!..I agree just charge me more up front and you pay your help right!
Old 03-09-2003, 11:39 AM   #13
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by john:
A good friend of mine used to spend 2 weeks in Bali surfing every other year,and he mentioned that in Bali a tip is an insult! They feel if you tip them you feel they didn't do a good enough job and your telling them heres a few more bucks to do it right!..I agree just charge me more up front and you pay your help right!
In other words: learn about the local customs before you go.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:39 PM   #14
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

This whole thread reminds me of Reservoir Dogs where they're discussing the validity (or lack thereof) of tipping. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyways, tips are usually in the 10-15% range for a dining establishment, unless the service was really poor - then you leave two pennies. (Better be prepared to leave in a hurry! ) Note that some restaurants down south have a mandatory tipping policy, and actually add it on to your bill. Make sure you know how things operate before you add more to the table. (I personally avoid those places)

I've heard of tipping the busboys or doormen at hotels a dollar/day, but I don't stay at classy hotels so I can't confirm that.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:43 PM   #15
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Does anyone know if it's customary to tip barbers here in the States? I only got my hair cut over here for the first time two weeks ago and really wasn't sure what to do.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:46 PM   #16
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Does anyone know if it's customary to tip barbers here in the States? I only got my hair cut over here for the first time two weeks ago and really wasn't sure what to do.
Why the hell would you wanna tip a barber ? It's expensive enough as it is these days.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:37 PM   #17
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

pardon me for asking, in US or Europe do they expect a foreigner to give tips? what will happen if the foreigner don't give tips?

I was asking because what if the foreigner comes from a country where there is no such things as tipping?
Old 03-09-2003, 07:42 PM   #18
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
pardon me for asking, in US or Europe do they expect a foreigner to give tips? what will happen if the foreigner don't give tips?

I was asking because what if the foreigner comes from a country where there is no such things as tipping?
Overhere people usually tip in restaurants, bars, stuff like that. But not in stores. I'm sure there are some people who do that, but it's not what they expect from you.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:09 PM   #19
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Well Johhny, in Holland I always tipped the barber, and most people I knew there did too. I agree that it's horribly expensive over there, but a haircut in the states is literally half the price - from fifteen euros to eight dollars.

[ 03-09-2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Arledrian ]
Old 03-09-2003, 08:12 PM   #20
Mojo
Elminster

In my experience here, tipping is entirely optional. No-one I've come across expects it, although if you can afford to and the service is remarkable, tipping is good, I feel.