Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2002, 08:37 AM   #41
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
This is another Bump. Now thead ?? Stay on page 1 this time!! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Lennon, don't spam this post, please. Not everyone can read wingdings - it's like posting in a foreign language, mate.

I'm just bumping this post as a reminder to everyone. I will collate them very shortly - when I have a bit of free time. Work's kinda busy at the moment.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 01-30-2002, 09:37 AM   #42
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

Lennon, don't spam this post, please. Not everyone can read wingdings - it's like posting in a foreign language, mate.

I'm just bumping this post as a reminder to everyone. I will collate them very shortly - when I have a bit of free time. Work's kinda busy at the moment.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

don't forget to collect mine. it is classic
Old 06-16-2002, 11:37 AM   #43
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Just reposting these, since I think we need a friendly reminder.

I've collated them into these post (sorry it took 5 months to do). These are from ALL of us here (those who contributed to the thread, anyway - so you can see some of your quotes in there ). They show that though we can be capable of small and petty things, we can also be capable of wonderful, considerate things.

More contributions are still welcome. [img]smile.gif[/img]

IRONWORKS MANTRAS

• I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. This is the cornerstone around which the concept of freedom of speech is built, as long as it is done with respect for others. - Memnoch
  • Debating at Ironworks is not about winning or losing, rather it's about expressing a point of view and listening to another person expressing theirs. There is no shame in agreeing to disagree when the argument starts to go nowhere. - Memnoch
  • Don't take things personally. Life's too short to get upset about another person's point of view. - Memnoch
  • If you can't handle people disagreeing with you, then don't get into a debate - you will not enjoy it and it will cause everyone problems. - Memnoch
  • A controversial viewpoint expressed politely, tactfully and respectfully will have a better chance of being accepted than a mainstream viewpoint expressed rudely and disrespectfully. - Memnoch
  • Remember that two of the most difficult things to do on the internet are: 1) admit that you can't change the other person's point of view; and 2) accept that failing to change the other person's point of view does NOT mean they are better than you. - Memnoch
  • Trying to imagine oneself in other people's shoes often helps a lot to understand their point of view. - Moiraine
  • A man/woman convinced against his/her will is of the same opinion, still. - Galadria
  • Oh, Great spirit, let me not judge a person until I have walked a mile in his moccasins. - Galadria
  • Unless you prove otherwise by your actions you will be treated as a mature person. Please use your time here in a manner that demonstrates respect for other members. - Mouse
  • No argument can be won or lost. There are quite often many answers which can be deemed correct. - LennonCook
  • Can't we all just get along? - Smoothie
  • Have the serenity to accept what you can not change, the courage to change that which you can, and the wisdom to know the difference. - Memnoch, with input from Smoothie
  • There is nothing to be learned from enforced uniformity or vituperative argument. But the courteous exchange of differing ideas both enlightens and invigorates. - Fable
  • what you give is what you get. - adam warlock
  • When quoting a previous phrase, remember to read what context it was written in. This would probably save a lot of redundant misunderstandings or clarifications. - Mistral4543
  • The one who feeds the flames is the one who will get burnt. - LennonCook
  • If disagreeing with someones post remember to read all of it. Don't just reply after reading the first point you disagree with. - Barry the Sprout
  • It is not a shame to be wrong. - Kaz
  • Don't know it all! - Ronn Bman
  • Be willing to learn from someone you're sure is wrong. - Ronn Bman
  • Avoid "shooting" facts from the hip. Don't post lists of dates or events without knowledge of those events and without the ability to discuss how they are important to the debate. - Ronn Bman
  • When in doubt about a person's intent, give them the benefit of the doubt. Rarely does someone actively seek to insult another. - Sazerac
  • Nothing is ever lost by walking away from a fight or a heated issue. You only lose when you lose control of yourself. - Sazerac
  • No one can keep up a facade forever. Sooner or later, their true colors will show. Let them hang themselves, and do not be so quick to provide the noose. - Sazerac
  • Treat others as you would have them treat your child: do not curse at, belittle, disrespect, or otherwise be mean-spirited. You are free to disagree, but you are not free to railroad someone else into agreeing with you.- Garnet Falcondance
  • Behind every name, there's a person. - Tancred
  • And behind every name, is an email address and IP, which can BOTH be banned. - Ziroc
  • In a debate, you can always attack an idea, but never the person behind the idea. - Ryanamur
  • In a debate there is always a winner and a looser. Ironically you are usually both. - Ryanamur
  • Don't sweat the small stuff. And it's ALL small stuff. - DragonMage
  • Do not be upset to find that people have ideas other than your own. Expect it, and then respect it. - Pangur Ban

Disagreements, arguments, etc are a fact of life in serious discussion - but please keep some of the above sentiments to heart when doing so - it makes our jobs so much easier when we can participate, rather than mediate, in discussions.

I hope to see some more contributions to that list from some of the newer people who haven't seen it yet. Even some of the oldies, too.

Old 06-16-2002, 11:41 AM   #44
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Don´t eat the yellow snow! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 06-16-2002, 11:49 AM   #45
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Mem, hows this- Flaming puts the world on fire, and eventually the world falls apart.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:54 AM   #46
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Keep them coming...when I get a few more, I'll update the list again and add all the new stuff.

Don't be afraid to post your opinion - we won't be shooting down ANYONE's opinion on this thread today.

Old 06-16-2002, 11:58 AM   #47
Sir Goulum
John Locke

All things must come to an end, but flaming just quickens the process.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:01 PM   #48
Sir Goulum
John Locke

3 Trolls to ruin the forum,
3 Mods to find them,
1 Admin to ban them all,
and keep them all from here.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:18 PM   #49
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Overspam=Ban!
Old 06-16-2002, 12:54 PM   #50
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. (Joseph Joubert)