Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-08-2002, 05:53 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Earlier today, I was on a discussion board (not IW), talking about Dungeon Siege when some hot-shot posts, "Gaaah! Why are you playing THAT? Don't you know that's a DIABLO clone?" (It isn't, but let's let that go for the time being.)

I guess I just don't get it. Aren't games supposed to be about having fun? Where did all the politics and elitism get involved? Just because you don't like a game, does that mean that you should go around and ruin it for everyone else who does? I for one am SICK to death of having to apologize constantly for what I play or don't play.

I tend to be a meta-gamer; that is, I pull from many different types of games. There's the basic *dungeon crawl* game of which Darkstone, Diablo, and now Dungeon Siege are part of that genre, all the way to nearly-pure role playing games such as Baldur's Gate 2/Throne of Bhaal. In between are games such as Wizards & Warriors and Wizardry 8. Each one has a different appeal, and I enjoy them all.

So what's the deal?

I personally don't care for the Final Fantasy series. But I would no sooner go up to someone and low-rate them for the choice of that game if they liked it than I would slap them across the face. My rationale is, if it brings them enjoyment, then by all that's holy, let them DO it. Why do people need to rain on other's parades?

Gaming should be a fun way to relax and retreat for a short time from the world. We as gamers should band together and be supportive of each other for our hobby, instead of tearing each other apart over it. I mean, after all, does one type of game merit any more value than another, when it comes down to it?

I've actually had someone in the past say to me, "You play THAT? I can't believe that someone of your intelligence would like that game." (This from a person who never played it, but only read a review of it). *Thank you so much.* In the space of two sentences, that person:

1) Pronounced an opinion about a game he had never played,
2) Questioned my intelligence
3) Questioned my *right* to play that game.

Wow. I should be overwhelmed. But instead, I'm confused and frustrated. Gaming shouldn't be political. It shouldn't be elitist. It should be FUN.

I guess I just don't get it.

Opinions, anyone? Answers?

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 04-08-2002, 06:02 PM   #2
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Exactly, a games worth shouldn't be gauged by a review, anyone is allowed to play the game if it does what a game is supposed to do and amuse them, that is what games are for, not to make you part of some secret cabal of gamers.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:16 PM   #3
Farscry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Go Sazerac!

I love to play pretty much anything. Granted, RPG's of all flavors (Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Wizardry, Everquest, et al) are my personal favorites. However, I also enjoy breaking out pretty much anything else to game with.

The Sim/Civilization games, Starcraft, Gran Turismo, Street Fighter (betcha didn't see that one coming...), Final Fantasy, good old platforming games (Mario et al) and adventure games (Zelda!!!), Starfleet Command, the Totally Games' X-Wing series... you name it, I probably love it.

Heck, my latest addiction is Jedi Knight II. Though I'm going through a Diablo II binge lately as well...

Anyway, I game to have fun, and I could care less what someone else enjoys. They like it, then by all means have at it. I don't knock someone else's fun, and I prefer not to have mine knocked, either...

Farscry
Old 04-08-2002, 06:17 PM   #4
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Gaah, you play, Diablo??? Oops, sorry, j/k. I think that some people just are so egotistical that they cannot imagine other people enjoying something that they don't. I personally was horrified when Hexen and Doom came out, but I don't mind anybody playing them, as long as they are old enough to separate fantasy from reality, unlike those Columbine boys. Any activity is going to have elitists and nay-sayers. Believe me, a (mercifully) brief stint of Attalus' into model airplanes revealed people who would come up to you at shows and say, "Why did you build that kit? Don't you know that the wing-roots are too thick?" and such-like. I'd love to tell everyone that I know that if they haven't played BGII, they've missed a really great experience, but most of them would think that I was a loon. "Different strokes for different folks," I say.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 04-08-2002, 06:24 PM   #5
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Heh, I can play almost anything. With the possible exception of Diablo 2, or any racing game where it's impossible to hit the bystands or win by hammering the opposition to bits. I've played, and still play, FPS games, Strategy games, RPG games, Simulation games, Sports games, Racing games, I don't think you can name a genre that I haven't played. I think that some people are too quick to judge games that they haven't tried.

Like Final Fantasy, before playing it I denounced it as crap because it was so hyped, "over-hyped" I thought, probably lousy games. Then a certain SSJ4Sephiroth and Azurewolf here from IW managed to get me hooked on these damn things and now I can't get enough of them [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Except for FF4 which messed up and stranded me lacking what I needed I've had enough of that game [img]tongue.gif[/img] Onwards to FF5 then! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2002, 06:30 PM   #6
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sup, Saz. I feel your pain. I have PnP friends who can't believe some of the games I play, and that I'm not online (everquest et al). Not that I don't enjoy all those, but gaming is not my life. I love the Original Civilization game. I will kill an entire day just trying to build my spaceship first... but heaven forbid I tell my friends about it.

Typical conversation, "You know, Civ III is so much better. You could have at least been playing something more intense. I can't believe you wasted 8 hours on that game."

I ENJOYED the time, I wasn't there to kill a bunch of critters. I was looking for strategy and a little fun. Doesn't always have to come with destroying others...heaven forbid I tell them that I've played rollar Coaster Tycoon. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bottom Line- play what you want to, tell me about it if you want to. I will smile, congratulate you on your accomplishments, then I will tell you what I've been doing. If you hate the game, ask me what I like about it, explaining that you had trouble getting into it. Then let it go...

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 04-08-2002, 06:37 PM   #7
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
[QB]Gaah, you play, Diablo??? Oops, sorry, j/k. I think that some people just are so egotistical that they cannot imagine other people enjoying something that they don't.[QB]
Very true; they obviously have such a high opinion of themselves that anyone elses thoughts don't matter - even if they haven't got a clue what they are talking about.

I've met a lot of people like this due to my school background), and have learnt (at least tried) to ignore them. However, it still amazes me how self important some people can be, often for no reason - which can often be very ammuzing.
Another phrase that springs to mind is; Head stuck up ones bottom.

Anyway, I'd go along with what Saz says; if something is enjoyable for you, it doesn't mean everyone else will like it, but it also doesn't mean you're wrong to enjoy it.
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 04-08-2002, 06:41 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Well, Ill play just about anything myself. A quick scan of my games folder currently reveals:
Syndicate, warzone 2100, Battle Isle 1,2 and 4, XWing Alliance, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Quake III, Armour Alley, Black and White, Doom Legacy, Mechwarrior 3, Jedi Knight and Half-life.

Not to mention BG1 and BG2.

As you can see I play pretty much anything excepting sports games, and have some games made in the late 80s. (and those are actualy the best on average).

I pity anyone who plays only RPGs and shuns the rest of computer gaming. And the ones who act like Sazerac is describing, they should be put out of our misery. Quickly.

Rant Over.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:03 PM   #9
Titan-X
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree, ppl suck sometimes. I love just bout all games. I think sometimes ppl are to immature to understand that a game is meant to be fun to whoever wants it to be.

[ 04-08-2002, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Titan-X ]
Old 04-08-2002, 07:55 PM   #10
Krishach
Drow Warrior

Exactly, to each his own. If everyone liked the same games and did everything the same, life would suck hardcore. Instead of wanking all over because someone plays a game I don't, I take my own approach. They'll be playing some game I've never seen or I heard sucked or something, but I won't be like:

"Hey, that games sucks, lahoozer!"

I'll ask why he plays it, to get more info straight from someone I know. Figure out why they think it's fun and then I'll try it out or such. So, more like:

"Ah, I read somewhere that that game is kind of lame, what characteristics about it make you want to play it?" "Oh, well, there's blah, and blah blah, and blah dude." "Oh, that sounds cool, quit hogging it, let me game!"

[ 04-08-2002, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Krishach ]