Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 12-16-2006, 02:10 AM   #1
The.Relics Avatar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I purchased Best Buys top of the line Toshiba laptop only because the "Geek Squadie" assured me that I "WILL" be able to play NWN2 on it, albeit perhaps, not at full graphics capability. So armed with more money the following week I purchase NWN2, strat guide, builder guide and go home ready to have a truly marvelous time. After installation, I start the game and receive a message that NWN2 cannot find a valid 3D device and will now close.
Needless to say, I was "disappointed".
My laptop meets all the specs for minimum and some recommended features, but it does not recognize my graphics chipset. I believe it really should be possible to play it.
I even tested my laptop on games I had but could not play at full capacity.
I could never even finish HOTU because my old pc couldn't handle it, and it was a complete breeze at full capability.
Freelancer was another that I could not play fully featured, but at least it offered me a choice, "Does not detect valid 3D device, do you wish to continue anyway"? I entered yes and once again, it's a breeze with full caps.
Then I tried "Halo", a game I could never play because it requires capabilities similar to NWN2 and is also very 3D intensive and again my laptop played it through at full caps like a charm.
And the same with Homeworld2, another game I could never play.
Now I realize these titles are a few years old now, but it does tell me my laptop has that kind of capability, and it handles texture and lighting just fine in my other games. I know it wont be optimum, but it should play. Is there a work around to at least get NWN2 to let me try and see if it will work?
I have the Mobile Intel 945GM family chipset.
dual 1.66
128 vid
2 gigs sdram.

Your feedback will be appreciated.
The.Relics Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:48 AM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

What type of video card is it? An ATI radeon mobile 9x00? A Nvidea chipset? Which number?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
The.Relics Avatar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As far as I can tell, the Molbile Intel 945GM family chipset is it, built directly into the LT motherboard. Freelancer and Homeworld2 both listed it as my device.
I hope I'm not wasting your time and mine here, I just knew that with the diversity we have here someone might know if there was a way I can at least make the attempt.
It also shows me you can't necessarily trust Best Buys expert "Geek Squad" tech heads.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

No you can't. As far as I know, that's an onboard graphics chip, way too bad to run anything like NWN2. The rest of the laptop is top notch, however.

Are you sure that's your vidcard and not your processor? It sounds like a CPU to me.

[ 12-16-2006, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: JrKASperov ]
Old 12-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
Zebodog

Some others have had issues with the 945, but supposedly have a fix.
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums...8353&forum=116
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
The.Relics Avatar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes JrKASperov, you are correct it's an onboard chipset which is why NWN2 has a problem with it.
I just checked out the thread Zebodog posted and the guy does in fact have the same Intel chipset and has found the way to get NWN2 to run with it and with higher caps than he initially believed.
I'm going to reinstall and see if it will work for me.
I want to thank both of you for your desire to take the time to help me with this, I truly appreciate it. I'll post later and let you know if it works for me as well.
Thanks again gents!
And Zebodog I posted in the NWN2 link you provided crediting you with directing me there.

[ 12-16-2006, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: The.Relics Avatar ]
Old 12-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
The.Relics Avatar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It worked! I fully updated first then d/l the work-around and it runs beautifully. I'm going through the tutorial now and so far I have not experienced any difficulties at all.
Thanks again so much!
Old 12-17-2006, 04:54 AM   #8
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Must be a powerful onboard chip then [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2006, 12:00 PM   #9
The.Relics Avatar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Heh, I keep having visions of being in the middle of the game and hearing a nasty crackling sound, sparks and smoke streaming up through the keyboard from a massive overload [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2006, 04:47 AM   #10
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Better keep some Vodka handy then.
Not as much for the puter as for yourself though

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote