Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 06:40 AM   #151
Donut
Jack Burton

*cough*
Timber - if you haven't realised Lanesra is a man. I know this because I've seen his todger on many occasions. We even used to sleep together in our younger days!

[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-24-2004, 06:48 AM   #152
Faceman
Hathor

bike riding discussion now is it
my 2c
4 years ago when I was in good shape I could do 125 miles (200km) a day. Now that I've put on 40kgs (YES, shame on me) I an still do about 75 miles. 20 miles is a matter of one or two hours straight riding and I'd be appalled if ANY member here (or any adult anywhere) save those with a physical handicap were not able to do that.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:50 AM   #153
Donut
Jack Burton

I though Moore looked very smart when he received his award. He was also clearly moved by the reception.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-24-2004, 08:24 AM   #154
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
*cough*
Timber - if you haven't realised Lanesra is a man. I know this because I've seen his todger on many occasions. We even used to sleep together in our younger days!

You're a tart Lanesra - and Donut you shameless hussy, this post of yours is a mental image I do NOT need.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:44 AM   #155
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
*cough*

excuse an american for not knowing brittish slang, but is a todger what i think it is?
Old 05-24-2004, 09:47 AM   #156
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sorry for any gender-bending Lanesra. And, it's nice to know my fellow ironworkers are in such great shape.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:34 PM   #157
Masklinn

Let's see it this way : Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, The Mission, The Pianist, Pulp Fiction, they all had the Palme D'or award, and they're like...GREAT films (can we at least agree on this ?). So Farenheit 911 must be one hell of a movie too, and just for that, beyond the political aspect, we should go and see it.
Then, I say THEN, we will debate about it and, depending on our *side* and beliefs, spit on Moore or thank him.
I just can't wait for it to be released here in France, which will be pretty soon I'm sure.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:07 AM   #158
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Hmmm...that sounds very much like what *I've* been saying throughout this entire thread regarding Moore and his films.
Which is especially remarkable, considering the fact you've never even seen BfC...
Cerek, honestly - at least go out and see it once. Give it a fair chance, and *then* decide on an opinion - don't just dismiss it because you find Moore's public appearances repulsive or because your favourite newspapers and magazines are trying to make mountains out of molehills by putting small, irrelevant inconsistencies on par with "being a big fat liar" - sure, BfC has its flaws, and the overly cheap and cheesy closing scene with Heston makes me want to scratch out my eye-balls, but the movie makes more than enough good points that won't be mentioned in the anti-Moore media. [/QUOTE]I haven't seen the film, but I have seen the criticisms of it on the various web pages linked in previous threads. I don't find Moore's public appearances repulsive - I find the man himself repulsive. The allegations of half-truths and deliberate misconceptions is not new to Moore's work - nor is it limited to BFC. In fact, Moore has seen to it that each of his films generated a fair amount of controversy. Controversy equals free publicity and increased interest.

I don't read magazines or newspapers. Most of my information comes from local and national news shows (when I have time to watch them) and internet sources. If I hear about a story that interests me, I usually go to CNN, Reuters or AP to find a story on it. Otherwise, I go by sources cited in the threads themselves.

As for watching BFC, I have said I will try and make time to do that. However, I normally rent movies for entertainment value, and with 3 small children I have precious little time to rent movies I DO want to see. So the idea of using some of that valuable time to watch a movie made by a man I find repulsive due to his habit of infusing his own agenda into every picture he makes is not very appealing - to say the least.

As for Moore's penchant for "spinning" the facts to suit his purpose, I have provided enough examples of Moore doing exactly that in his comments regarding Disney's treatment of Farenheit 9/11 to show he does do it on a regular basis. You can review them for yourself or choose to ignore them as you see fit.
[/QUOTE]If you disagree with the film, all the more reason to see it. Would you not expect a critic of the bible to at least read it before rejecting it?

It is also important to see if you want to keep your finger on the pulse of OPINIONS within America. Perceived reality is as important and valid as actual reality. If Moore IS wrong, and you are right, you need to be aware of what he is saying if you expect to counter it.

The single biggest issue I have with BfC is that he completely ignores the DEATH PENALTY as a cause for Americas gun deaths. Ignoring the reality that neither Canada, Germany or Japan - the nations he cites (bewildered as to why they have lower gun deaths). None have the death penalty. A huge factor in the problem IMHO.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-25-2004, 03:01 AM   #159
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Masklinn, Training Day may have garnered an Academy Award for Denzel, but that doesn't mean he deserved it for that particular movie (actually it was "make up" for another movie he deserved it for -- Training Day was mediocre at best). Point being -- sometimes these awards ARE given for political reasons.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:48 AM   #160
Masklinn

Sorry TL, Cannes is different from the Academy Awards. It's international, it has a different group of professionals every year that has to choose between many different films from many different countries where the academy awards are just about the little world of hollywood, hollywood and only hollywood. So the Academy Awards have to be political in the way you described (and I have nothing at all against that - and in fact I loved Denzel in Training Day, he played a real psycho with ease). Cannes has really nothing to win in being political, that's why I really think Farheneit 911 is indeed a good movie. The best proof is that it has been awarded by Tarantino not by Susan Sarrandon or Sean Penn. [img]smile.gif[/img]
----
On the political aspect now, this movie CANT be full of lies, it may have some flaws of course, but you cant do a 2 hours documentary with only lies from the beginning to the end, else its kinda noticeable. And I still don't understand how some of you can still defend GWB and his admnistration after all they've done. I understand he is your president and you have to show some respect, ok. But what good did he exactly do to this world ? Democracy has this purpose : when the leading team sucks, you can replace it, you're not supposed to support it full time. But, well, that's another story.