Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2002, 12:21 AM   #21
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

I would like to open this up as an opportunity for serious discussion on this topic. This should not be taken as an opportunity to "American-bash", nor bash any other race or nationality, as that is a rudeness in and of itself. I'd like to ask a few questions as well, though, and get some discussion about these issues.

First, do you think people in general are ruder now than they were 10 years ago (1992)?

Is rudeness a serious problem, or is just something we have to put up with in today's society?

How often have you encountered rudeness in your daily life?

How often do you encounter rudeness online? Is it more, less, or the same as the amount you encounter offline?

Have you acted in a rude manner within the last week? The last month?

What factors do you think contribute to rude behavior?

Is there anything proactive (not reactive) that you as an individual and ourselves as a society can do to combat rudeness?

I'll post my own thoughts on this up here in a little bit.

Cheers,
I dont know where to begin. I work retail. In the last year I have worked in three different locations around Boston. One in a mall, One in a snooty suburb, and now in the heart of Boston, within one block of all four subway lines. I encounter rude people way more now that I am in the midst of the city itself, though the vast majority of the people I serve are hospitable and respectful. The fact that I work for a company that seeks to be a customer service leader may just mean that we (my staff) are friendly first, so most people are inclined to be friendly back.

Some are just complete assholes. I get anywhere from 3-12 potential shoplifters in my store a day. They are the rudest bunch. They hate good service because it interferes with thier desire to get the goods and leave undetected. Sometimes they have rude accomplices in an effort to distract the staff.

Some people expect confrontation in retail, particularly in certain situations like refunds or even asking for id. A very large man punch a female associate of mine in the face after she asked for id with is poorly signed credit card. No provocation, just attack. He had id and it was his card and we ask almost everyone for id anyway because they cant seem to sign their name the same way twice. He ended up maced and in handcuffs.

Rude Driver's are a differnt danger. Friggin idiots, you know who you are. The faster you go, zipping from lane to lane, the harder you stop when you hit a tree/person/other car, and the more mangled your corpse becomes.

Rudeness online is just stupid, albeit instrinsically superficial. Those situations favor the intelligent people who can handle morons and who arent rude.

I think it takes two to tango, but only one to be an asshole or a bitch. I am proactivle friendly and respectful to other people in order to combat rudeness and because it is correct behavior for an individual of character. Besides, in my line of work I can just do with out it, I'm busy enough as it is.

[ 04-04-2002, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 04-04-2002, 09:07 AM   #22
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
[QB.[/QB]
I just wanted to comment on your sig [img]smile.gif[/img] Heheh Wookies wouldnt use cluster bombs....you left off the other half..."They would just tear the arms off you"

Old 04-04-2002, 10:43 AM   #23
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I spent my childhood in LA and back then people didn't seem rude, because I really didn't have a frame of reference. Thoughtless was probably more like it.

But living in Sydney now for the past 15 years (since the age of 13) I've found the attitude of Australians to be light years away from the attitudes of people in LA. They're a very friendly bunch here, whether you meet them in the street or wherever. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2002, 10:46 AM   #24
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I think there's some special gene in All Aussie blood (and areas near it) that makes them about ten times more relaxed than the rest of the world... maybe it's the hot weather, fosters and too many shrimp barbies [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2002, 11:22 AM   #25
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi,

Let me give this a shot here. I know I haven't posted in a while, been incognito. [img]smile.gif[/img]

*First, do you think people in general are ruder now than they were 10 years ago (1992)?

That's a tough one. Where I live in Northern Ca, I would have to say its been about the same. Maybe even a little less rude? But certainly not more. [img]smile.gif[/img]

**Is rudeness a serious problem, or is just something we have to put up with in today's society?

I think we have to look at the root cause of where "rudeness" starts. As others have mentioned, I notice it most in the younger generation. But I say it is improper parenting that causes this. Young children are extrememly vulnerable to suggestion and how their parents and family act will play a huge role in their personas as they grow up.
However, there are a few strong willed souls that can manage to break away from even the most warped upbringings, but these people seem to be few and far between.
I believe a lot of it starts with just being competitive. Everywhere we look, on the TV, radio we have sports teams, models and everything suggests an image that is "what's in." If you aren't young, trim, sexy, love the favorite popular team or driving a big fancy car, you're just not living and must be in a lower social class.

Its human nature to be competitive, and although important people takes things WAY too far. I've noticed many people (sadly, some of my friends) who are horribly prejudiced to people with less money, who are overweight, gay or just don't fit into the blond haired blue eyed American stereotype.

And where did this start? With their families, time and time again.

**How often have you encountered rudeness in your daily life?

All the time, on a daily basis. Although I do prefer people who do it face to face. Its the back stabbing bandits that are the worst.

As I mentioned once before, I used to be a tour guide at a museum that had many international tourists. Time and time again, the folks from England were uncommonly rude, however I think it was more a cultural aspect to their personalities.

People from Sweden, Denmark, Norway were usually the nicest. This is just from my 5 years experience in one spot though.

**How often do you encounter rudeness online? Is it more, less, or the same as the amount you encounter offline?

FAR, FAR worse. Not to step on any toes here, but the net is permeated with rude jerks and people with out of balance egos. Since they don't have to answer to anyone and can write virtually anonymously, its a breeding ground for rudeness.

I've been online for about 7 years now, and its always been this way. Anyone ever seen Jay and Silent Bob strike back? One of the best movie endings ever when they beat up the net jerks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

**Have you acted in a rude manner within the last week? The last month?

Probably a few times, but when I do I remind myself to be kinder.

**What factors do you think contribute to rude behavior?

As I said above, family, upbringing and lack of proper role models. Media and sterotypes.

**Is there anything proactive (not reactive) that you as an individual and ourselves as a society can do to combat rudeness?

I'll share a bit of what I do in my own life. If I ever meet a tourist or someone from another country, I go out of my way to be kind to them. Even if they can't speak one word of English, I will try to communicate with them. I want them to leave this country knowing at least one person showed them kindess, and that not all Americans are rude.

The rest are just little things. Waiting to let that car go in during traffic. Holding the door for someone. Smiling at a young child, its not these acts persay, but how you live your life. I go out of my way to be compassionate in general, but if someone pushes my buttons, then I get a little militant and stand up for myself.

I'm not perfect, and I screw things up sometimes. I have a bad temper, God knows I'm a Scorpio and most of the time my face is blank and expressionless.

But, I know how to feel and share kindess and love with others, and that's all anyone needs. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Great thread Saz,

Best
Scronan
Old 04-04-2002, 12:32 PM   #26
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

To quote the Reggae artist who did a reggae version of Stings 'Englishman in New York (which became 'Jamaican in New York'):

"Manners maketh man as someone say
He's the rudeboy of the day....."

http://www.hughwilson.com