Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2004, 04:52 PM   #11
browns1977
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was planning on being human. I want to be fighter with magical capabilites. Or a wizard that can really handle a sword. Just to be unique the way I would like to be. I just don't want to cripple his fighting ability too much. After I get all the fighting feats I like I gues sI could switch to rogue or monk to compliment my mage skills. Monk would give me natural ac right? Basically I am just talking things out loud with you all before I start the game.
browns1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 05:13 PM   #12
Stratos
Vampire

Well, a Monks AC is connected to his dexterity and wisdom scores and and those scores probably isn't anything you would put too much points in in a Fighter/Mage multiclass. The Monk has other benefits, though. A F/M is very possible but he'll be a worse figher than a pure-class Fighter and not that good of a Mage compared to a single class one. If you focused on one kind of weapon, ie. taking Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization, plus used alot of buffing spells then you could have a good character. But magic and fighting doesn't really blend that well and there are no Prestige Classes, like the Bladesinger, available in any of the expansions to truly make a powerful F/M class.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:22 PM   #13
hagimihale
Manshoon

I think I got the dang PC up and running; will be reinstalling NWN tonight.

Another question that came to mind: In NWN an elven Druid can use bows effectively. If I add that one level of wizard will this change? I know I'll still be able to use slings, but the elf bonus for bows seems worthwhile, especially early in the game.
hagimihale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 06:34 PM   #14
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
No, it won't. Elves have the ability to use bows, longswords, and rapiers. This might lead to exploitation by elven druids. I might frown upon it. HOWEVER...
Druids of Meilikki are allowed to use any weapons and armor rangers are able to use without violating their oaths. SO therefore an elven druid would not be out of character using bows and blades. It's still sort of exploiting an oversight, but I for one think it's ok.
And no, going wizard won't hurt it either.

Edit- But why do you want a level of wizard? To use things like wands and scrolls? That's what many people do when starting off, so I'll just assume that is the case. And in that case, why not consider a level of sorc? You can cast spells like Magic Missile much more often.
Or you could try bard and get more skill points, put 'em in Use Any Item..
Just a thought.

[ 01-24-2004, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Illumina Drathiran'ar ]

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 11:26 PM   #15
hagimihale
Manshoon

Yes, that is the reason I'd be adding a level of wizard. As I understand it, I'd need high charisma for Sorcerer... (or does that not come into play since I'm only adding one level?).
Old 01-24-2004, 11:31 PM   #16
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Won't matter for one level of sorc or for bard. And sorcs can cast more spells per day (at expense of variety)... and it'll be difficult to choose just two. It's better than being able to have every level 1 spell and only be able to cast 2 per day...
I would advise sorc.. Make sure one of the spells you pick is Mage Armor... Magic Missile is a little worthless since it's only one... I don't know what the other one should be. Summon Creature 1? It's sort of useless, but handy to have a Loyal Minion to order into the fray to distract a baddie.

Old 01-25-2004, 06:30 AM   #17
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

My character is fighter 5/mage 1/ranger 1 and has been working out fine in chapter 1. The mage wands help with traps tremendously and you can find them for less than elemental arrows. I carry a bow but haven't had cause to use it yet. The only spell I really use is Prot from Alignment (evil), simply slipping off the armor, casting, and redressing. Also got the Cloaktower quest. I didn't think enough ahead to go Sorcerer. I'll have to check into Mage Armor as well.

If you play a human, you can have a main class and up to two other classes, so long as those two are within one level of eachother. Thus you can get some "instant abilities", like use of wands or dual-wields. It does require some planning, as you would need a higher Dex than an average fighter to dual in leather. I had to give in to a lower Con. Basically, I'm just a skinny dude with two swords-a-slashing that has a wee bit of arcane knowledge.

Adventuring is for people with a certain state of mind. Sure, some are born with innate magical abilites. But many go to school to become mages or train at a temple to become a cleric. One cheesy level of mage could merely mean your character tried wizard school for a few months, but decided to choose a different path. When it comes to druids, sorcerers, and monks it can be a little more difficult to rationalize sometimes.
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 12:59 PM   #18
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Fair enough. As long as you know you're rationalizing!

Old 01-25-2004, 09:49 PM   #19
hagimihale
Manshoon

Thanx for the replies.... but I've given up playing NWN. I installed it once and there was something wrong with the CDs. Went back to the store and exchanged it for another copy. Tried to install it the 2nd time and the PC crashed. Reformated the hard drive and it still didn't work. Then the PC died again. Replaced the motherboard, wiped the hard drive clean and installed it for about the 6th time. Still won't work right. =(

Loved playing BG2 and was looking forward to NWN. Guess I'll look for another game to get into. Thanks anyway for all the thoughts....
Old 01-26-2004, 11:26 PM   #20
hagimihale
Manshoon

Ok, I'm done with my rant. Needed a new driver for my video card. Game's working fine. DOH!