Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2002, 07:49 PM   #11
lroyo

Can someone explain Spike Traps? How many can you place? Who can place them? (I assume only Thieves) Where can you place them?

I have ignored this part of the game for too long now!
Old 04-25-2002, 10:48 PM   #12
hagimihale
Manshoon

Spoiler....
spike traps (and time traps and exploding traps) are part of a Thief's special abilities. You gain them at level 25, 1 extra ability per level. This contrasts with other traps that Bounty Hunters can set. You can set a trap anywhere on the ground, as long as no enemies are in sight. When they come within range (about 30 feet) the trap goes off. The spike trap does 20d6 (save for half). The exploding trap does 10d6 (save for half) and knocks the opponents off their feet. The time trap gives you a 10-second period to do whatever... ala the Time Stop spell.

Some gamers think that the spike trap strategy is cheezy... but theives don't get many other useful "special abilities" other than the Use Any Item one. I figure the developers put it in the game, why not use it. Stay just out of sight of a dragon or some other high-level monster... set a few traps down and then get its attention. Run back past your traps, and if the monster follows it takes some massive damage. 5-6 traps will take out some of the dragons you'll encounter. Makes soloing a much easier concept, anyway.
hagimihale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 10:50 PM   #13
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Combat-wise, Thieves and Bards are the weakest contributors to a party. So BioWare gave them very powerful High-Level-Abilites: The Traps, which are the cheesiest things in the whole damn game.

Name an enemy. Any enemy. Want to win the fight in less than a second? Just lay a stack of Traps on top of each other (just try to do that in real life). Spike Traps are the cheapest, as they deal the most damage. Now lead your enemy to within 20 feet of your traps. BAM! Dead. Or for extra cheese, lay the stack o' Traps where you know the enemy will appear, or at the feet of a bad guy who you know isn't hostile--yet.

So, essentially, it's just like Ctrl-Y, except that you get EXP for killing stuff. Don't you feel a surge of accomplishment for vanquishing such a mighty foe?

With all that said, I do use Traps. But I don't set them on top of each other, or even within 20 feet of each other. If I know I can get a swarm of bad guys to chase me down a hallway, I'll lay a string of Traps in that hallway before I get their attention by Fireballing them.

There should be a patch that makes it so Traps can't be set close together, and makes them count only as a +3 weapon or something. Too bad there isn't, yet....
Old 04-27-2002, 09:46 AM   #14
CabraHispana
Elite Waterdeep Guard

For me it was no difficult. Cast Devas, air elemmentals and dracos to manage with the creatures on the left, and use the cloak of reflection to beat the Beholder. That's it all folk!!!
CabraHispana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 09:57 AM   #15
nightshift001
The Magister

c
o
n
t
a
i
n
s
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
i never try this level until im at least level 23 or more....
a few suggestions are project image .....negative plane protection....planeteers or devas ariel servants and buffing spells like chant defensive harmony ,....remove fear.....the hive mother......try the shield of balduran........dragons breath and abi dazims will soften them up too.....
it is quite tough this fight.
nightshift001 is offline   Reply With Quote