Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2000, 11:00 PM   #1
Morninglord

Well, people here, when talking about NPC:s does almost NEVER mention Haer Dae'lis (spelling?). In my opinion, he is the coolest (if not best) NPC in the game, and I really like his style =) Not to mention that the planar prison quest was a good and rewarding one. How come he is so seldom mentioned? Is it because he is somewhat hard to find?

/Morninglord of Sweden

Old 12-05-2000, 11:07 PM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I found HaerDalis to be very overrated. What do you use him as? He can't tank as he's too weak, he can't use missile weapons unless you unequip his off hand, he can't cast decent spells, he can't identify items unless it's REALLY early in the game because his lore ability is too low, his thieving abilities are an afterthought. He is the consummate jack-of-all-trades and master-of-ABSOLUTELY-none. He's only really of value early on in the group when versatility is required. But later in the game when you want your chars to max out on their specializations he'll never be as good at any one thing as anyone else.
Old 12-05-2000, 11:21 PM   #3
Morninglord

Actually since he is the jack-of-all-trades and master of none, as Bards should be, I use him as compensating spellcaster to Imoen (and I do identify EVERYTHING with him.. of course he's level 20 now, but ever since lvl 13 or so, he's had no problems identifying things at all, despite the penalty to lore given to Bards with the kit of "Blade", he still has the highest lore rating by far in my group). As for tanking? Heh, I found an armour very early after I got him that was a +3 chain mail, in which you could cast spells, only useable by Bards =) His AC is pretty decent indeed with it, and I handed him two better short-swords than the initial ones he had, so yes, I throw him into melee as often as I can (also with the help of a belt that gives him 18 constitution and thus more hit points) and with the use of his "offensive spin" ability he does smack in some good damage. The spells I mostly cast with him is various summoning spells, breach, and magic missile, and I memorize other spells with Imoen. Though his thief ability (pick pockets) are very useless for me as I never pick pockets with anyone.

/Morninglord of Sweden

Old 12-06-2000, 02:18 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, but I play a swashbuckler mage and so with Imoen I already have two spellcasters, both true mages who can cast at least Level 8 spells which HaerDalis CANNOT cast, plus with the Glasses of ID I don't have problems with ID'ing items. And my thief skills are much better than HD's and I don't pickpocket either. I have three hardcore tanks in Keldorn, Korgan, and Jaheira, a damn good secondary tank in Viconia, and three of those four have an AC of below -7 which HaerDalis can't get even with the Melodic Chain. No matter how much you buff up HaerDalis he will never be as good as those front three in tanking. If he had some kind of tiefling special ability like magic resistance or something it would have made him a bit better.

I've always argued on this forum that you can find value in every NPC, though some are less value than others. HaerDalis is more a personality-type NPC, you can have him along because he's unique and he has some cool dialogue but he's definitely not a good fit for my party.
Old 12-06-2000, 03:29 AM   #5
BaatoRyan

It makes me wonder now, I just buffed up Viconia a bit, and she got an AC of -13! I mean, Jaheira is only 0, Aerie and Nalia -2 and -3 respectively! Viconia is like a miracle girl or someting! I can only dream of getting such an AC! My Cavalier is like maxedd out stats, blah blah blah, and only an AC of -9! Minsc is even only -3! It pisses me off!

Old 12-06-2000, 03:46 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Why is Jaheira's AC so bad for you Baato? What's she decked out in?
Old 12-06-2000, 03:52 AM   #7
BaatoRyan

I think she was in plate mail + somethin... but I still don't get on why Vicky... Viconia's AC is so high?! She is i think in full plate mail +2? With Crom Faeyr at hand and a tower shield + something... oh.. hehe stupid... the reason on why my AC is low is because I wield a two handed sword... Carsomyr.

Old 12-07-2000, 02:23 AM   #8
Armisael

Why is Haer'Dalis useless? He has an unfortunate bone marrow disorder which gives him piss-all HP.