Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 01-03-2002, 12:23 PM   #1
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I have seen it twice and loved it! However, I couldn't help nitpicking some parts. Galadrial and Lothlorian could have been more fully fleshed out and PJ could have followed the Shire portion better, but with the time constraints and all, he did a great job.

I thought the characters where all good. The scenery was spectacular
(I may move to New Zealand. How'd you like that Azure?)! Moria was AWESOME! Loved the opening too. It was a masterful job of how Sauron lost the ring to begin with. Rivendell was just how I pictured it in my mind!

I will see it again when it hits the dollar theater and I'll buy the CD too. Can't wait for next Christmas!
Old 01-03-2002, 12:52 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I think Lothlorien could have been done better, Elrond should have been played by another actor, they cut too much from the beginning(Shire to Bree), they gave the blame of a lot more screw-ups to Merry and Pippin(In the book, for example, it's BOROMIR that wakes up the creature in the water near Moria's gate, not one of those two(Can't remember which one of them it was in the movie.).) there are some other minor things as well.

But if you look beyond these things, VERY good movie, beautiful scenery.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 01:44 PM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I thought it was totally awesome. It wasn't perfect...but that's because everyone who's read the books already has their own image of certain people, places and events. I thought that PJ did an excellent job of capturing what most people felt. Special effects were awesome. Scenery was awesome. Acting was awesome, and even the parts which were not true to the book all flowed seamlessly. 9.8 out of 10.

What stopped it from being 10 out of 10? If I had to be *really* critical, I would have said that 3 hours was just not enough to capture everything in detail. I found it was a LOT more enjoyable if I stopped trying to think of what *should* happen next and just concentrated on what *did* happen next.

If I was in charge, I would have done SIX movies, each 2 hours each, and released them every six months. Public is happy, studio is happy! (Most importantly, I would be VERY happy! )

Also, I felt that there was a little bit too much assumed knowledge of the book, and that non-readers would find it a bit difficult to follow. For example Galadriel and Celeborn were not introduced in Lothlorien (all the readers knew who she was, but my mother - not a reader - didn't. She enjoyed the movie nonetheless.).

But those are VERY small criticisms. This is without a doubt one of the best movies I've ever seen. It surpassed my expectations!!

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 01:45 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I wanted to ask Azure a question though...you know Bilbo's birthday party at the start of the movie - which Wellington nightclub did they film that in?!?

Old 01-03-2002, 03:05 PM   #5
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

I loved it, too. Agree with Neb on Elrond. Memnoch, didn't Gimli say something about Galadriel right before the elves captured them? Also, it was Pippin that distubed the tentacled thing in the movie.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 03:17 PM   #6
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I liked it, but I though Gandalf was too weak. In the books, he was this amazingly powerful sorcerer, but in the movie he seemed very frail and vulnerable at times. Other then that I thought it was excellent.

Oh, and more Liv Tyler!!
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
MILAMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 06:03 PM   #7
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

I'm a huge fan of the books, and I think that they did a decent job on the movie. The sets and scenery was wonderful. The casting was right on. Most of the important stuff was in the movie. Moria was spectacular. If I had one nit pick it is that there was too many close ups of Frodo. I know that the used camera techniques to show that the hobbits were little people, but some of the editing was bad. Also was it really necessary to see Sam floating under the water in a dramatic way or could this be cut out and make the story more smooth. Just stuff like that bothered me a little. Overall it was good. I'm patiently waiting for The Two Towers. Also I liked the elves a lot how they kind of had a glow to them.
Fuzzy Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 09:23 PM   #8
Legolas
Jack Burton

If I look at everything I would have liked to see different, like combat you can actualy follow the first time you see it, more story, and closer to the book, possibly another Elrond, and other minor issues, I would make it sound like the movie was bad. It wasn't.

The movie was made with a lot of care and attention to detail (thank you, Weta Workshop), music and settings were great (Let's ALL move to New Zealand [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), the acting was, well, maybe not outstanding but still very good. I was awestruck by the way they got the sizes of the characters in proportion, and so the list goes on.

The only two things which really are a shame are that the movie ends too soon, or rather, that there wasn't enough time to put all those things in which give the Fellowship it's 380 pages, and that, closely related to the time limit, the movie is hard to really follow for those who didn't read the book, and lacking for those who did.

But nonetheless, it was great. Not a 10, but certainly not lower than an eight either
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 02:27 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Galadria:
Memnoch, didn't Gimli say something about Galadriel right before the elves captured them? <hr></blockquote>

He just said that he didn't want to meet the "Witch of the Wood". Didn't actually refer to her by name. And not enough was done to show why she had to take the "test" and the importance of her "passing it". My mother thought she was evil! There was no mention except at the start of the movie of the fact that she was the holder of one of the Elf-rings. I had no problems with it since I knew the plot, but he did skim over a few details. None of this detracted too much from the film, mind you.

Old 01-04-2002, 06:10 AM   #10
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Well I just sawit, and my sincere opinion is that it should be banned.
It's a good movie, but shouldn't be even mentioned in the same breath as the book!
This movie was extremely over-dramatized. It was a true hollywood-movie.
I'm afraid that the kids that see this movie, that wanna read the book, will get terribly disappointed.
The book requires very much imagination from the reader, but a movie does not, of course. And if young kids read the book after have seen the impressing movie (where the "excitement-music" never ends ) they will probarbly decide the movie was better and let the book be, and the risk will be that after a few generations, the book will be forgotten, and the only trace left of Tolkien's masterpiece will be some mastodon-movie, and that, in my opinion, will be terrible.
Of course this may not happen, but the movie still didn't have that same feeling as the book...