Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain

Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #21
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Re: EFU is back open for playing!!! Come join in!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
I set the 'level 7 and gold' to balance it out... MANY people asked for this. So I did it...
There were also a lot of people who did NOT want it switched. The biggest issue iirc was that once HotU came out, the server got flooded with Uber characters with 40th level characters and items that were WAY over level 40. We're talking almost complete immunity from any elemental damage and weapons that were dealing 2d12 in all damage types. The Ubers got to be a major pain in the butt.

There was a lot of debate about whether to switch to server vault, stay local vault and simply enforce item level restrictions or enforce legal characters or some combination. IIRC, nobody ever actually asked specifically for level 7 as a starting point. The consensus was that if we did switch level 1 was WAY too low, and level 10 might be too high.

I went along with the server vault but expressed concerns that the levels wouldn't properly be balanced. I wasn't the only one that raised that issue either. Whether they are now or not is open to debate. Since I haven't played in many years, they might be. But imho they were NOT when the switch was first made. I remember going in on server vault with my new 7th level character and finding that every monster within a group had a challenge rating of impossible or overpowering. Which meant not only were your outnumbered but outgunned. That IS NOT balanced.

I'm not trying to flog you over that decision. Just pointing it that it wasn't so a cut and dried. It was a shame because I actually enjoyed EFU before the change and not so much after.

BTW, Cerek and I don't agree on the difficulty. I think it was a lot harder than he remembers. And if you're right that he only got to level 8, that's probably true. I got to level 14 iirc but that took a local vault character and I saw a ton of epic characters die along the way. RTB's mortality rate in that exercise was EXCEEDINGLY high iirc.

Quote:
And I would think you would give me props for keeping EFU going for 10 years.
Quote:
I don't WANT props, ......
*Head explodes*

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 05-03-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Props... no props.. I don't mind. lol how about respect then?

10+ years is super rare for a gaming server.. Just as you see all the dead links, yet IW is still up. When I started the NWN 1 server, I never thought I'd be running it 10 years still... pretty cool, and its because people still play it! I also never thought it'd still be active in 10 years, but hey, Thief 1 and 2 mods are still being made, so good games stand the test of time.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ironworks Forum Re: EFU is back open for playing!!! Come join in!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post
I'm not being harsh at all. I never said that you planned to sell it; that was your interpretation of what I said and it was HUGE stretch at that. I recall you mentioning several times previously that you planned to make EFU available for download thru NWVault or from IW. In fact you said that in post #10 of this thread. See? I really do read your posts. I made a single comment directed at the bugs, more about server versus local vault and not ONE about you selling the game. That was a stretch and you know it.

EFU isn't a game, it's a mod (albeit a really darn big one). I have played a LOT of mods (and some very large ones at that) that ARE 100% bug free. We obviously don't agree about the bugs, so we can debate endlessly the difference between a bug originating from the core NWN game or a problem within the mod, or about how many of EFU's issues were caused by the latter as opposed to the former. Doesn't really matter.

But be fair, you've been working on EFU for 10+ years now; don't you think a high percentage of the problems MIGHT be due to the fact that the mod just keeps changing? I mean it's not like NWN has had a patch for what? Five years? And since your claim is that no game will ever be totally free of bugs, why does my not wanting to beta test it ad infinitum come as a huge shock or strike you as harsh? Especially in light of my issue with server vs local vault.

Hey, I understand that mine isn't the ONLY opinion. But Greything asked about turning on the local vault switch as well didn't he?

Passive agressive over a mod you no longer play?
I believe I posted that it WILL be available for download as soon as I get the ending completed. Grey is a SUPER supportive player, and has been playing EFU for a long time.

I don't understand what you mean about this:
Quote:
But be fair, you've been working on EFU for 10+ years now; don't you think a high percentage of the problems MIGHT be due to the fact that the mod just keeps changing?
Eh.. its a hobby mostly.. I didn't have a set timetable or anything. I have not made many changes at all. I've made a few additions, but nothing crazy.. Been mostly working on the final levels, which are underway. (Xanathar new levels are cosmetic, using the same scripts). The MAIN reason it has taken so long are my medical issues. That, I cannot help... Sucks, but its life.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

I haven't checked the posts in this forum for too long but as I see my name being mentioned I thought I should respond.

When I first went into Undermountain it was at the point where users were discussing local vs server vault. I was too late to join in the voting and so most of the time I have spent here has been on server vault.

In that time I have tried, and sometimes succeeded, to solo. Other times I have joined with parties or individuals and enjoyed every moment. Either way, this is a high magic environment and it is difficult to build so that you can survive.

As we are on local vault at the moment I get the chance to make new weapons and equipment. Great but still my builds can die.

So, despite NWN2, Dragon Age, Witcher, Skyrim, perhaps Diabolo 3 next I come back here because NWN1 is a clssic and still unchallenged RPG and Undermountain is a great mod.

Local or server is not an issue.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote