Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Video Conversion

I need a FREE software package that will allow me to convert videos between various formats, e.g. from .mov to .flv or .mpeg or .wav.

Anyone have any recommendations?

PS: I'm not planning on ripping dvds or anything like that. I just need to be convert some videos from quick time format into adobe flash player format for our website.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 12-30-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: Video Conversion

..and while on the subject,

I need copy a few DVD's. I have the full set of Babylon 5 DVD's but some of them will not play. They would not take them back, so I'm stuck with them. A friend loaned me his set to try and make a copy of the ones that don't work.

Is it possible to do this?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

YEs and YES for both of you

first things first - Micah, you'll want to go grab a copy of SUPER (its free and does basically..any encoding you can imagine )

Link in the end

And Variol, seems like you need handbrake, or DVD shrink (both work. I use the latter)

SUPER :http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html

DVD shrink :http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Handbrake :http://handbrake.fr/

Cheers
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Thanks!

That looks like it does everything I need (and THEN some).

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

The first one is not free and the other does not work because it says the disc is copy protected.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:07 AM   #6
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
The first one is not free and the other does not work because it says the disc is copy protected.
Uhm. I'm sure its free.

DvdShrink? Thats as free as it gets bud. I dunno what you're talking about.

And while dvdshrink shouldn't have any problems with the protection in case it doesn't work http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/ should do the job.
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I'll take the case! [/bravado]

I've used a combination of AutoGK, and DVDDecryptor before that served me well on non-copy-protected DVDs...but, why just recommend you a program when I can show you a whole article on the process in May 2007's Maximum PC...which they have on their website, with no strings attached right here.

That all said, here are some recommendations, for both of you. You need to make ARCHIVAL copies of your DVD library, which involves some hefty processing...don't be satisfied with anything of sub-dvd quality.

Now, for transcoding, AutoGK works, but is a bit on the time-consuming side, and you might actually save time (AND thus money) by buying a product.

Further, if you have a nVidia graphics card, nevermind everything I've just said, and get Badaboom Media Converter.

It'll save you lots of time, and has tons of features...and is free, because nVidia is supporting its development, as they have a huge stake in that particular market.

Is that what you really want to say?

Last edited by Ilander; 01-01-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Question Mark Re: Video Conversion page turning?

Darn new forum setup...DUH JJ not see how to get to next page of conversation except to go back to front and select page???? what am i missing while cranking the handle on my internet access so it keeps going???

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Default Re: Video Conversion page turning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
Darn new forum setup...DUH JJ not see how to get to next page of conversation except to go back to front and select page???? what am i missing while cranking the handle on my internet access so it keeps going???
On a thread with multiple pages, look between the last post on the page and the quick reply box, near the right edge...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:22 AM   #10
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

okay, on task now.. for your copy protection issues, there is DVD43, search that and you will be directed to a free download, this program has not failed to decode any dvd for me.
That alone won't get you a copy, and I originally used nero that came with my dvdw drive, but it failed here and there, so I bought 1clickdvdcopy5 last year for 55$ us. (ouch, but..) gets updates, generates logs, has user and tech forums which work well. just relicensed it for 19.00$us another year.

I am sure going to try nvidia for a re-coder, I have a bunch of naruto eps from veohtv and others that I need to code to a playable format that will burn on my drive. when I try it now, or even try to burn windows media files, my drive all of a sudden only shows up as a cdrw, even when I update drivers. that is frustrating, and help only sends technical gibberish. ever run into that problem?

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote