Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 07-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #31
RoobokWebak
Elite Waterdeep Guard

yeah i played around with the different resistances but didnt last long, i didnt have the correct items.
Anyway i completed IWD on heart of fury mode - the final battle was easier than i thought, globe of invunerbility allowed immunity to the dispell magic that initailly got me. After that it was hack and slash, beat behefeit. Easy peasey.

Started HOW, this has been slightly harder, buriel isle was quiet hard as even with mind blank, impervious sanctity of mind and magic resistance, i still got hit by the virgins wail and hopelessness. eventually managed to kill them before they managed it.

After this it has been simple - i have reached the part before the final boss and decidied to do TotLM, this too has been pretty easy too - although i just fought a shambler which are immune to crushing damage - thats annoying, and i know there are more later in the game so anyone any suggestions because my cleric cant use slashing weapons, so i could only summon trolls and use magic and that took ages - not lookin forward to fighting several like that.

other than that i cant see there being too many problems - summon shades - the lvl 6 or 7 summon is nice - lizard men + blood rage = 30 damage per hit, add haste and righteous wrath and your onto a winner - although even like that they get wasted pretty fast by drwoned deads - also where do i get the mace 3 white doves - i forgot.

Anyway ill let you know when i have completed it all - maybe then i can stop startin the game again.
RoobokWebak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:26 AM   #32
Aerich
Lord Ao

You buy the 3 White Doves from the priest of Waukeen in Lonelywood, iirc.

Shamblers are vulnerable to electricity. I had a few static charges going when I got to the shambler area on my last time through, and they all went down like they'd been hit by lightning.

A Chain Lightning and some Lightning Bolts should do it for your F/M.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:45 AM   #33
RoobokWebak
Elite Waterdeep Guard

right, well after a little trouble with a nasty set of stairs, i am on my way through TotLM.
HOW was worth little mention, thosewailing virgins are annoying, but 3 white doves makes short work of everything.
TotLM however is a different story - the shamblers are a big problem for a cleric - on HOF mode it has so much health and all i have is spells and summons, so it takes ages to kill. Once i was into the mansion, the three genie type things upstairs after the bit with stubbletoes were quite hard, nothing a bit of tensers transformation couldnt handle tho.

Beholders - now these guys are hardcore - instant dispell as soon as you are within sight - and from what i have found, no way of blocking it - hundreds of instant death spells - and about 1/3 of these hit me. Believe me i would not like to fiht three of these at once. My current tactic is a bit cheap but - sign of hopelessness, they cant move or anything and you just hit hit hit, which takes forever as your not hasted or anything else. but there you are its one way around it.

Im just in the start of the dungeons now so, maybe not long until i finish TotLM - after this HOW will be a sinch, so then my mission ill be done - complete it all with one character in HOF mode. Mayb then i can play a new game raher than the same one a hundred times
Old 08-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #34
RoobokWebak
Elite Waterdeep Guard

dah dah - TOTLM and HOW completed - nothing to hard to report - final boss of both were easy. stone nuicances were not stone or a nuicance after a dispell magic, hehe. i think the hardest part was upstairs in the mansion when i had to fight two beholders at once, that took me a few goes, as did the fight with the three genie things. Other tha that, this mission wasnt so hard.
i would be interested so se if a f/m/t can do it tho as santuary was super handy, mainly for allowing me to remove fatigue and rebuff without gettin hit.
Think it might be hard without this option. I cant think of any dual class combos that could be tried, my guess would be that you can eventually complete it with any caracter solo, but with most it will be very frustrating and slow, so anyway thats it or me. Maybe i can find another game with as much replayablity.

Take it easy
l8r
Old 08-08-2005, 03:15 AM   #35
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

well, great to hear that you finished the whole game plus the expansion (and the expansion of the expansion!) i have not touched my game from where was 2 months back. will definitely take it up again by next year. too much to study now. and no comp too. my character is a F/M/T. the sort you seem to be curious about. only problem so far is that i've not got any reliable source to TotLM. even gamespy seemed to ask for things i could not provide, though i seem to forget what they were now.

meanwhile i hope to see a few guys try to finish it with weird characters such as a bard (which i personally feel is the most useless character in the entire game and should be used only to increase the difficulty level).

will return to this topic next year for sure!

cheers!
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:49 AM   #36
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Outstanding work RoobokWebak, and a brave decision to try it in the first place. I only ever tried solo on Insane (with and F/M/T oddly enough Serak) and that was difficult enough.

Strangely, it seems that the cleric side of the character really saved your hide on more than one occasion. I guess I've gotten into the habit of using mages in a destructive capacity too much. Perhaps I'll go over this thread again 'cause it sure made food for thought...
Old 08-18-2005, 08:04 AM   #37
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

Lord Brass,

clerics and mages have been stereotyped as defensive and offensive magic users, thus the image associated with them. even i prescribe partly to this view since i (subconsiously, perhaps) use my mage to harm and my cleric to heal/protect/stave off attacks.

in my experience, instead of using up the slot with a cleric, i prefer to use a mage and rest more frequently to heal. this makes up for about 75% of what i use my cleric for.
Either learn or leave
Old 08-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #38
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Serak Moonblade:
Lord Brass,

clerics and mages have been stereotyped as defensive and offensive magic users, thus the image associated with them. even i prescribe partly to this view since i (subconsiously, perhaps) use my mage to harm and my cleric to heal/protect/stave off attacks.
The very spells each class receives reinforces that point of view I suppose.

Quote:
in my experience, instead of using up the slot with a cleric, i prefer to use a mage and rest more frequently to heal. this makes up for about 75% of what i use my cleric for.
Horses for courses I guess, but I find on-hand healing a nice treat to have (if not a life saver often enough). Also, don't you find it a little difficult to stomach the "You've rested for x days." lines that you get? It might be realistic in a sense, but I feel that I have a self-imposed time limit I must keep to - otherwise the bad guys will have run away by the time I get back!
Old 08-20-2005, 05:24 AM   #39
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

Smiley

I was really surprised when i saw this. when i stopped the game in between, i was close to 3 years into it. But since it does not affect the game in any way (negatively especially) i don't have any qualms. But in the latter part of my session i was interested in increasing the no of days. when i install TotLM and HoW too i hope to have spent more than 10 years in the dale!!!
Either learn or leave
Old 09-02-2005, 10:16 AM   #40
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
when i install TotLM and HoW too i hope to have spent more than 10 years in the dale!!!
Nice! Not so much a game as a lifestyle. [img]smile.gif[/img]