Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Windows 7 Security Suite(s)

My delayed Dell has shipped. Win7 x64 OS with the Q8200 base line quad core processor, 4GB mem, and a few other items of no interest.

Here is what I have at my disposal.

From work I have a take home Norton endpoint package.
http://shop.symantecstore.com/DRHM/s...uctID=80779900

From the shipper, a sorry about your delay, here's a 36 month McAfee.
http://home.mcafee.com/Store/Package.aspx?pkgid=276

In addition, I also started another thread in reference to MS Security Essentials, which is a free, and MS supported package

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Windows 7 Security Suite(s)

Unfortunately, both are bloated and well passed their day in terms of scanners. I would do like I did with my Win 7 freebies, and leave them on the CD. Use MSE and perhaps malwarebytes instead. Lighter, faster, and free-er.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Very well then, thank you.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Unfortunately, both are bloated and well passed their day in terms of scanners. I would do like I did with my Win 7 freebies, and leave them on the CD. Use MSE and perhaps malwarebytes instead. Lighter, faster, and free-er.
Actually Endpoint is the Corporate Version and is far from bloated. Featuring one of the smallest footprints and ram usage on the market for a full security suite.

Both the Symantec Corporate versions and the new Norton releases (2010 onwards) have been proven to be smaller and faster than most full security suites out there. Its time to come into 2010 and realsise that the product you used 3-4 years ago is no where near the same product today. Try NIS 2010, try Endpoint protection instead of spouting off nonsense about some of the old product lines (which yes we all know were bloated)

MSE is perhaps the worst Security solution out there in most tests.

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/en...ky_11-2008.pdf

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/en...2008.en-us.pdf

http://www.passmark.com/ftp/antiviru...esting-ed3.pdf
Old 01-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Not trying to be a prick or anything, but it is worth mentioning that you work for Symantec (or one of these companies involved in Norton iirc). I recall you making a post about it a few months back.

I have tried pretty much all of them and work for no companies. I am simply saying what I, and many others found to perform well.

Personally, you couldn't pay me to place Norton on any of my systems. I know they are trying to slim down and become less bloatish but it is too little too late IMO. Just recently, I completely fixed two computers with dekstop hijack on them using MSE as my main scanner. I'd trust MS faster because their debug feature on almost all of their OS's puts them in a position to get news of new viruses before anyone else does. And yes, it took legal action for them to provide scanners for their customers but I gotta say as long as it took, this one works great.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Yes I do work for Symantec, pretty much everyone on here knows that from my past posts.

However if you have read the articles that I linked to you will see the tests done by 3rd party companies with comparisions between all of the software security suites.

That along with the Gartner recommendations which put MSE well behind most of the major players.

Point me to any 3rd party test which pusts MSE ahead of most of the major players, please. Its a new first/second (if you include their first failed attempt) generation scanner released by MS. Why would you trust MS with Security Software when they can't even secure their own OS I do not know.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-D-C View Post
Yes I do work for Symantec, pretty much everyone on here knows that from my past posts.

However if you have read the articles that I linked to you will see the tests done by 3rd party companies with comparisions between all of the software security suites.

That along with the Gartner recommendations which put MSE well behind most of the major players.

Point me to any 3rd party test which pusts MSE ahead of most of the major players, please. Its a new first/second (if you include their first failed attempt) generation scanner released by MS. Why would you trust MS with Security Software when they can't even secure their own OS I do not know.
I point to my own tests and experiences only. That's all I gave, my opinion. I amn't pushing a product, neither am I touting Microsofts awesome ethics - because MS have not got a great rep. What I am saying, is that I am very impressed with this compared to Norton. I tested Norton on an old system about a year ago, with full protection enabled, and a ton of viruses waltzed right through it. Had I not known that I intentionally activated them to test it, I would have still been in the dark. Malwarebytes and AVG cleaned them out for me at the time. Now I have found MSE can almost replace both of these. Technology moves up and atm I feel MSE makes the top of the list. No big deal - we can agree to disagree.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Tanks @ T-D-C for the links.

I can well relate to those charts, as that would be the corporate model in use on my team. Furthermore, that is what I'm upgrading from, yet I only see one reference to Vista, and none to 7, which is not exactly the same.

As well, those reported early year auto-updates that left the windows security shield glowing red, and the Norton Endpoint definition status stuck on 29 DEC 2009? We have experienced those right here, and at work, leaving me wondering about total security once more.

With that said, my old faithful crashed hard in early November, taking out the last available Socket A MSI motherboard in my inventory. Which was a WinXP(SP3), Office 07 / Linux and Open Office dual boot rig. Replacing it with a on-line purchased Christmas special Dell with an additional 15% off coupon conjoined with free shipping, I was hard pressed to price match building another. Yet I experienced two shipping delays, the second of which produced the McAfee license.

Which in turn has me time sharing with the spousal unit's lap top and the daughter element's PC, both of which have Norton Endpoint 11 installed, but not flawless, as pointed out above.
Those events ultimately lead me on a search for the "single" best, "one" product security suite for a Win 7 rig. With two at my disposal, free of charge, one with a as long as employed license, and the other with a three year license, the hunt began.

I thank both of you for your input, and hope to see more.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Old 01-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

http://www.av-comparatives.org/
Here after a little searching .
Gives report in the site with the antivirus in the list. i thought was okay as well with thier methodology. Latest report dec 2009. Pretty recent.

ps: hi hi to all.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Very nice, thank you.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen