Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2001, 05:01 PM   #21
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Nuclear war is highly unlikely, but if a country faced certain destruction, then they might, in the last few minutes before their defeat, launch their nukes....

Terrorists, on the other hand, would not hestitate to use nukes.

people, this topic is not about nuke, gosh, I am sorry I brought it up. next time I should know not to use the "N" words, lol

I am talking about approach the problem with caution, not let enthuiasm or vegence blur our judgement. everyone should close his eyes, think the whole thing through before they point fingers

Bin Laden is bad, but randomly go after him might be worse

think how many people will suffer in both US and mid east, innocents
the cause we are following here are definately a good one, however, we might devote our energy on it at the wrong time

it is just WAY too easy to blame on bin Laden

Old 09-14-2001, 05:03 PM   #22
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
they MAY have nukes, but do they have ICBMs (InterContinental Ballistic Missiles)? i dont think so, but i may be wrong... so therefore, a nuke probably wont be touching us anytime soon. however, if they are crazy enough to try a nuke (and im afraid they are) then we'll all have to deal with the fallout in the atmosphere.

they can use federal express to do global delivery, right?

just kidding

DON'T get into technical part, people, I hate discussing "strategy"
it is all bullshit, when it comes to real life, you never can be 100% certain
Old 09-14-2001, 05:43 PM   #23
Moni

You are too funny, LOL "Federal Express"
Thanks.

Has anyone considered that it could be as simple as the terrotists thinking if they took out the World Trade Center and disabled the pentagon that our country would be vulnerable to immediate financial catastrophe and blind military strikes but that now they realize they were wrong in their underestimation of the strength of the pentagon, this country, our people, and our businesses?

There were more arrests made by potential hijackers on board and ready to board passenger jets yesterday...a couple of potential hijackers were even taken off of a train headed for the city nearest where I live! These particular two had hair-dye and knives with them as well as tickets to board planes going out of Texas airports!
Maybe they were going to give the pentagon another shot since it still has the capabilities to moniter our air space and put out orders to all of our military bases. Not that we don't have locations elsewhere that have the same capabilities but do they know that?

Maybe they were going to strike a military base?!
I know San Antonio's Wilford Hall had closed its doors to emergency treatment for 24 hours in order to ready transports of Dr.'s, nurses and medical supplies headed for New York.

Whatever their intentions, they weren't finished...we could have gotten very lucky that as much devastation as was caused, it could be more...we could be getting severly bombed right now.

Just something to think about.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-14-2001).]

Old 09-14-2001, 05:59 PM   #24
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
I am talking about approach the problem with caution, not let enthusiasm or vengeance blur our judgement. Everyone should close his eyes, think the whole thing through before they point fingers.

Bin Laden is bad, but randomly go after him might be worse

Think how many people will suffer in both US and mid east, innocents
the cause we are following here are definately a good one, however, we might devote our energy on it at the wrong time

it is just WAY too easy to blame on bin Laden

Why is it too easy? Do you mean that it is so obvious that it can't be true? I think it is him, and even if he did not do this, then he's been involved in quite a few other things for which he needs to be brought to justice, I can't see how bring Bin Laden to justice can hurt innocent americans.

The only way to prevent something like this from happening again is to destroy the source, it would be impossible to defend America 100% from terrorist attacks.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
Old 09-14-2001, 06:28 PM   #25
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Why is it too easy? Do you mean that it is so obvious that it can't be true? I think it is him, and even if he did not do this, then he's been involved in quite a few other things for which he needs to be brought to justice, I can't see how bring Bin Laden to justice can hurt innocent americans.

The only way to prevent something like this from happening again is to destroy the source, it would be impossible to defend America 100% from terrorist attacks.

How can you be so sure it was Bin Laden?
Some of those terrorists may have had middle-eastern beginnings but most, if not all of them, were naturalized citizens or legal immigrants in this country.

Like I said in another post...this country opens its doors to anyone...gives them an education (they were taught how to fly in American flight schools!), gives them money and housing...it is our policy for "freedom for all" that got us into this mess to begin with.
How, after 200+ years do we slam the door on freedom shut?
Do we allow anyone BUT middle easterners to ever come into this country again?
That'sd not a solution.
Do we stifle their religion?
Only if we want more violence!
How do we know who are the extremists and who aren't?
We don't!

So, what do we do?!

Yes, Bin Laden is responsible for feeding the fire but he is not the flame.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-14-2001).]

Old 09-14-2001, 06:30 PM   #26
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
it is going to get ugly some time later.

mideast countries have the ability to lunch nuclear attack, don't they? Let's hope we are not doing exactly someone wanted us to do
I could be wrong but I do not believe ANY of the Middle Easter countries nukes have the ability to reach the US trought conventionnal delivery methods (ISBM). Most would only have short to medium range missile which would be clearly incapable to reach North America. Lets no forget that the use of those nukes was to destroy Israel. They didn't need intercontinental missiles.

They could however detonate a nuke in North America if they:
1- had nuclear weapons already pre-placed on American soil
2- put nuclear weapons in cargo hold of aircrafts or ships destined to the US
3- try to smuggle nukes to the US in the future.

All three of those options are unlikely to be realized in the near future because this was one of the most prominent terrorist threat to the US and the intelligence services have been looking at that (more than possible hijacking).

However, North America is vulnerable to chemical warfare which is both harder to detect and can be easily smuggled on North American soil (for the simple fact that some ingredient are easilly accessible in North America's hardware stores).

Personnaly, I would be far more worried about this type of treath than nukes.

BTW: I didn't read the thread and only responded to the initial post... sorry if this was already mentionned.
Old 09-15-2001, 03:11 AM   #27
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Well, they could hold other countries for ransom with their nukes and force America to do something.

Moni, I believe I've heard that they've found evidence that Bin Laden is involved.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
Old 09-15-2001, 05:44 AM   #28
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Exactly, Neb. I live in Europe, remember? The nukes would probably have the range to reach Europe, or?... Also, some very upsetting news for all the Germans here - the terrorists planned their attacks in Hamburg, one of them was a student at a university in Germany for eight years. He was very active there too. How can anybody conceal their extreme ideas for that long? Just imagine how his friends must have felt. It is awful hearing that your own home country was used as a base for terrorist .

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-15-2001, 10:47 AM   #29
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanamur:
I could be wrong but I do not believe ANY of the Middle Easter countries nukes have the ability to reach the US trought conventionnal delivery methods (ISBM). Most would only have short to medium range missile which would be clearly incapable to reach North America. Lets no forget that the use of those nukes was to destroy Israel. They didn't need intercontinental missiles.

They could however detonate a nuke in North America if they:
1- had nuclear weapons already pre-placed on American soil
2- put nuclear weapons in cargo hold of aircrafts or ships destined to the US
3- try to smuggle nukes to the US in the future.

All three of those options are unlikely to be realized in the near future because this was one of the most prominent terrorist threat to the US and the intelligence services have been looking at that (more than possible hijacking).

However, North America is vulnerable to chemical warfare which is both harder to detect and can be easily smuggled on North American soil (for the simple fact that some ingredient are easilly accessible in North America's hardware stores).

Personnaly, I would be far more worried about this type of treath than nukes.

BTW: I didn't read the thread and only responded to the initial post... sorry if this was already mentionned.
Ryanamur, You are right none of the mid-eatern countries (WITH THE EXECPTION OF ISRAEL) have missles that can reach the USA or Europe. (Israel's missles can hit eastern Europe former USSR)

I agree with you on the other threats, to counter those threats is going to be hard.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"

[This message has been edited by John D Harris (edited 09-15-2001).]
Old 09-15-2001, 11:13 AM   #30
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

The middle east is a probably a nuke filled sector.....

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Co-owner of The Abyssal Pit
The Spaminyte Emperor
Official Demon/Villain of IW!
Fish? Welcome to your Doom!