Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 04-28-2004, 06:08 AM   #1
Walks
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have recently upgraded from WIn 98se to XP and really want to get back into this game. I can't run the game as it just goes back to the desktop. Is there any way round this?
It did give me an error message but I can't remember what it was. I think it was something about indeco codec but I could be wrong.
Walks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 06:52 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

It's a long story but it is possible to run the game under Windoze Neanderthal Technology. Check the "Tech Tips" thread. The base ingeridents are:

1. Neanderthal Technology does not support compressed video - and the video is compressed in W&W. You will need the Virtural Dub program and uncompress the video.

2. Winblows 95 compatibility mode. Most likely, you will need the compatibility mode for running the game.

Other problems will follow but they depend on your hardware and your current state of the "operating system". Try uncompressing the video and the compatibility mode first and see what will happen.

Hiroshima 1945, Chernobyl 1976, Windows 2000, ...
Old 04-28-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
ScroogeMcDuck
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello,

i have the same problem too. Just recently upgraded from Win 98SE to XP and the Game no longer works

I have already concluded the "Tech Tips" Thread and it seems i have problem 6.2. The game crashes at start with an memory error, if usefull i can write the exact message down and post it here.

I already used Virtual Dub to uncompress the videos and switched to compatibility mode but the problem still exists, nothing helped
Any tips what else could help?....i thought about switching my NVidia drivers, im using 53.03 at the moment but i never had problems at any other game so im not sure if this would help

Any tips would be welcome [img]smile.gif[/img]
ScroogeMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 04:10 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

A twofer! Welcome to the boards, Walks and Scrooge McDuck! May you both find life in the Gael Serran to provide that spark you were looking for...

As for your problems, the Tech Tips thread is a good place to start. Some of the information that helps us figure it out from there includes...

... your resolution and video mode (hardware or software)

... the amount of memory you have available, and whether your virtual memory is fixed or not

... whether or not you're playing patched

... what else is running while trying to run W&W

... where exactly you set compatibility mode (it needs to be on the link you're using to run the game)

Willow knows more about driver versions than me, so I defer that stuff until she finishes making her rounds and stops in.

Don't worry -- we can help you get there [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Walks & ScroogeMcDuck!!!

We've got the best tech help on this board! They'll get your problems sorted out. Just answer Bungleau's questions and try the tips in the Tech thread.
Hope you will be playing again soon and can then tell us how your game is going!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:10 PM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I seem to recall having welcomed you here before, Walks. If that is not the case, I had better be on the safe side and welcome you now. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

And the very same to you, ScroogeMcDuck. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2004, 01:48 PM   #7
ScroogeMcDuck
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
A twofer! Welcome to the boards, Walks and Scrooge McDuck! May you both find life in the Gael Serran to provide that spark you were looking for...

As for your problems, the Tech Tips thread is a good place to start. Some of the information that helps us figure it out from there includes...

Willow knows more about driver versions than me, so I defer that stuff until she finishes making her rounds and stops in.

Don't worry -- we can help you get there [img]smile.gif[/img]
thanks for the welcome as for your questions, ill try to answer them as good as i understand them [img]smile.gif[/img]

... your resolution and video mode (hardware or software)

I have not been able to set any parameters in the game like resolution or hard-/software mode as the game crashes the moment as i start it, or is there a way to change parameters without starting the game? . In windows i have 1280x1024 Resolution and when i start the game it switches automatically to another resolution, but i cant tell you which one as it crashes instantly after starting. I already switched windows to another resolution before starting the game but without success.

... the amount of memory you have available, and whether your virtual memory is fixed or not

i have 3x128 MByte SDRAM, so 384 MByte total ram. Virtual memory is fixed set to 576 MByte

... whether or not you're playing patched

i tried both patched and unpatched and both crashed

... what else is running while trying to run W&W

usually Antivir-Guard and nothing else except the standard windows processes are running. But i also tried to kill all not essential processes in task manager, and shut down antivir before starting the game.

... where exactly you set compatibility mode (it needs to be on the link you're using to run the game)

Desktop icon from Wizards & Warriors -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 95 activated
Old 04-29-2004, 04:22 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling since you upgraded to XP? There may be something kludgy in there. Save your roster.dat and savegames files if you want to keep what you've already done.

Also, you might also find the deep6.exe program and set it to run in Win95 compatibility mode as well.
-+-+-+
Old 04-29-2004, 04:27 PM   #9
ScroogeMcDuck
Elite Waterdeep Guard

since i defragmented and formated my hard drive when tranferring to XP i had to make a complete new install so im 100% sure there is nothing left....i will try to set deep6.exe to compatibility mode.

i will post the result after trying

....deep6.exe was already set to compatibility mode so this isnt working

[ 04-29-2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: ScroogeMcDuck ]
Old 04-29-2004, 05:10 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmmmm...... more challenges. Okay, lessee...

Try setting your resolution to something lower (1024x768 or 800x600) before starting. See if that helps.

I'll go back in the corner and see if I can think of some more things. Willow, where are you when I need you?
-+-+-+