Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2001, 09:49 AM   #161
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Only if you give Link a dollar hehehehehehehe.

Its unfortunate that you havent read any fantasy books because there are some great ones out there. Feist Eddings and Tolkien are my 3 favourites. Pick up some Eddings to start with and youll be hooked. Roger Zelazney wrote some great books too. Look for the Chronicles of Amber by him..... one of the very best series ever written IMO.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2001, 09:40 AM   #162
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

OI!!!!!!LINK!!!!!! Did you go on holiday or something???? do you need me to write this book for ya???????? WHERE ARE YOU DUDE???????????????

------------------
Old 07-16-2001, 05:49 AM   #163
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

oke Link youre obviously on holiday, in a coma, or incapacitated in some other way so im now going to write this story for you. hehehehehehehehehehe.

Ill mention you in the credits................ NOT!!!!!!! hehehehehehehehe

------------------
Old 07-21-2001, 07:39 AM   #164
Link
Jack Burton

As a matter of fact i AM on holiday... in itlay, and that's where i am right now. Keep this topic up will ya, Earthdog.. i will read all the new things over when i'm home, ok?

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 07-23-2001, 03:04 AM   #165
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

oke Link not a problem bud. Cha fuego???? no I dont know much Italian. other than got a light? thats about it. Well heres to hoping a volcano doesnt decide to take a dump on ya. Fill me in on where all you went when you get back.

Take it easy mate.

------------------
Old 07-23-2001, 06:55 AM   #166
Starkiller
The Magister

You probably already have this part figured out, but I thought I would post my suggestion just in case about having the player come through the portal with friends. You could start with them, and if you dropped them from the party they would have be scripted into the story as if they were persuing getting home too. I.E. instead of staying where you left them they would go off to try to get home, and you would run into them now and then, like in a market somewhere, or confronting some powerful enemy just before you got there, or locked in some dungeon, and when you meet them you would have the chance to join up with them again. If you didnt, they would continue persuing a way home, and maybe show up again. You see what I am saying? Give them personality and lives of their own. One might even turn up on the other side of the conflict, fighting you, or deciding to stay in this other world as the mayor of a city, or as a legendary "mage" who made magical things called "guns". Just thought this was a cool idea, and have always wanted to see it in a game, namely the idea that....the world does not revolve around you, people do things when they are not in your party. Hope this is helpful
Old 08-10-2001, 03:21 AM   #167
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Ive thought of that too. Problems is I dont like the idea of guns in the game.
Theres going to be enugh missile weapons in the game without guns.

------------------
Old 08-10-2001, 03:39 AM   #168
Link
Jack Burton

I don't know if you guys remember that part, but on the first page (or second) of this topic, this discussion was going on as well. One of the guys here had a problem with coming from Earth. He said: what if he carries a gun with him? That wouldn't be fair, or fun. The answer to that (not even given by me) was the following.
Suppose you have a gun with you. Firstly: if you use up all the ammo: where can you find new? If you got 5 bullets, then it's five bullets in the game. Second: try killing a ghost with a gun. That won't work. I think it's rather cool to have a gun with you. It would add a new effect in the game, seeing your character trying to shoot a ghost.. Won't work..

As for me not posting for a while: I've been on vacation for like 3 weeks, and when i came back, IW was down. Couldn't do anything just then, been busy about the game, for one thing, and i told Earthdog some interesting new things. I did manage to post a reply while i was in Pisa, but that's all. I'll keep y'all informed about the game, and about everything!!!!! Thanks for the new ideas (center world = Halfworld and stuff like that). I really appreciate all the help and yes i will mention you all when i get famous!!

"I owed my success all to the help of people at the Ironworks forum" LOL!

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 08-10-2001, 05:33 AM   #169
Legolas the Elven Archer

Letting a game move around a world instead of around the player is a really cool idea, one that I wanted to see in many other games (so far there are only a few games which pretend this is the case, and even less where it is really true). The problem is that the game takes up a lot more space and memory to achieve this effect, and that there's a chance you won't find many quests or the people you need to talk to.
Of course, you can get around this by making people wait somewhere and letting them claim they've just returned there after a long trip, but this is all pretending.

As for the guns issue, who knows if any of the characters remembered to pack a gun? If they're Americans they most likely have, but who says they are?
Then again, if any of them have a gun, why shouldn't they use it against an Elf instead of a ghost? Most players will realise ethereal objects are hard to hit (unless there's a priest who decided to bless the bullets).
You could also let the character carry other items from our modern world (the most used being the lighter, so people will believe the character is a mage with power over fire), or allowing the portal to let only non-metallic objects pass (though this would create a rather embarrassing situation due to the lack of buttons, zippers and belts...)

And then there's a question to Earthdog:
Does your chosen name relate in any way to Black Cuamh, the Hernystiri god of the earth and the patron deity of miners, from the books of Tad Williams? Just wondering...

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 08-10-2001, 10:05 AM   #170
Link
Jack Burton

The only problem with this, is that the world i created so far is pretty large itself. I should reduce the size of that one drastically in order to make it a challenge for the gamer.. I mean: if he's going to visit all of the worlds, you can't afford to make each world pretty large. That would spoil the fun of playing, to have to walk large area's time and time again. What might help (but it will not solve the problem) is some sort of transporting device. The portal system (which i worked out already, just can't remember whether or not i displayed it here at the forum) is a good solution, but still: you can't allow the character to use the system just at the beginning. It would be awsome for the gamer to find out the hidden Ancient Magic that will allow the main character to activate the portals. That would mean he has to start off walking a lot.. I need some advice on this part..

------------------