Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2003, 01:15 PM   #101
Melusine
Dracolisk

While I agree that celebrating another person's death doesn't really reflect well upon your humanity, I think, Sir Regin, that the way you talk about the Hussein family is a bit offensive as well. "they MAY have done some horrible things"? I think that's pretty hurtful to hear for all the people who have been tortured by those two brothers.
Again, I agree with you about the celebrating - I don't think I could actually *celebrate* someone's death, even if I could see that in the great scheme of things, we're better off without some of them in the world. But I disagree with the way you portray the situation. There are Iraqis that are glad to have been delivered from Saddam, there are Iraqis who think being delivered is as bad as not being delivered, but I doubt you'll find a great many Iraqis who'll mourn Uday and Qusay.

[ 08-02-2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 08-02-2003, 01:26 PM   #102
Grojlach
Zartan

Not that we'll ever really find out or if it would really matter, considering Udai and Qusai's horrible reputations, but it could be interesting to find out which part of the horror stories about the two brothers are actually based on facts and which part is mostly urban legend (especially considering they're the "enemies" of those reporting the news of their actions in the first place).
I'd actually be surprised if none of it is exaggerated - but like I said, they weren't exactly gentlemen, either (even if only 10% of their bad reputation is well-deserved and just), so I suppose it doesn't really matter at this point anymore anyways.
I would have preferred a fair trial under Iraqi or International Law, though.

[ 08-02-2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 08-02-2003, 01:28 PM   #103
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Name one, just one good thing that that family has done for Iraq.
Bringing better medical supplies, more useful power grids, etc. etc.

Try talking to Iraqi refugees sometime, ask them how they feel about the death of those two, and i'll guarantee you that you'll see the biggest smile imaginable on a human face.

Sure, and then again there are people that wouldn't smile. It's all a matter of which angle you choose to see things from. I don't think it justifies killing them.
Sir ReGiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 01:35 PM   #104
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
While I agree that celebrating another person's death doesn't really reflect well upon your humanity, I think, Sir Regin, that the way you talk about the Hussein family is a bit offensive as well. "they MAY have done some horrible things"? I think that's pretty hurtful to hear for all the people who have been tortured by those two brothers.
I used the word MAY because to underline the fact that they have also done good things, perhaps it was misused and then I must make clear that I do not doubt they did horrible things (although I believe many of them are rumors and that many of the accusations are excaggerated to serve as propaganda) but I do not think that justifies their death.
Christ, even the top nazis got a trial!

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Again, I agree with you about the celebrating - I don't think I could actually *celebrate* someone's death, even if I could see that in the great scheme of things, we're better off without some of them in the world. But I disagree with the way you portray the situation. There are Iraqis that are glad to have been delivered from Saddam, there are Iraqis who think being delivered is as bad as not being delivered, but I doubt you'll find a great many Iraqis who'll mourn Uday and Qusay.
Probarbly not, but again I do not think that justifies their death.
Sir ReGiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 03:46 PM   #105
Animal
Gold Dragon

I don't see why I'm consistantly misquoted as refering to Americans as barbarians, when I've pointed out that although not barbarians, some are capable of acting as such.

As for judging those who did not support a BS excuse to invade and occupy an inferior country? Yes, by all means...feel free to judge me. Certainly Hussein was a despot, but there are much worse in the world right now, and nothing is being done about it, so replacing the WoMD argument, with the "liberation of Iraq" doctrine doesn't hold water either, it's still a pile of crap no matter how much air freshner you spray on it.

Canada and Mexico as a threat to the US? I agree, it's ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as the threat Iraq posed.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:58 PM   #106
Chewbacca
Zartan

I'm waiting to see if we send a crack team into Jordan to get Saddam's daughters, who had nothing but nice things to say about thier dad in TV interveiws yesterday.

I wonder if they resist, if would will shoot them up, not even waiting a whole day for them to decide to surrender, and alter their corpes in defiance of Islamic tradition.

Nothing destroys the principles of a fair justice system like trial by media and jugdment and execution by military force.

[ 08-02-2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 08-02-2003, 07:28 PM   #107
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
originally posted by Animal

I don't see why I'm consistantly misquoted as refering to Americans as barbarians, when I've pointed out that although not barbarians, some are capable of acting as such.
Maybe because you're an animal ?
Old 08-03-2003, 01:48 AM   #108
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
I wonder if they resist, if would will shoot them up, not even waiting a whole day for them to decide to surrender, and alter their corpes in defiance of Islamic tradition.
That shouldn't matter too terribly much, since Udai and Qusai (or however you spell their former names) weren't Muslim...at least, they certainly didn't live proper Muslim lives. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:02 PM   #109
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Yeah, all while getting sniped at. Look, if you shoot at US troops, you get what you deserve. I'm still celebrating. As far as I'm concerned, every time an evil, torturous, megalomaniac despot dies, a kitten smiles somewhere -- and so do I.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:27 PM   #110
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I can think of a few others that need to make Kittens smile! The Crew in Burma/Myanmar, Kim Il Sung in North Korea, Taylor in Liberia, Mugabe in Zimbabwe, to name but a few.