Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I've been reading articles and hearing news topics lately that say that getting enough sleep is not only good for all sorts of physical and mental health issues we've all heard about for years but now they think it also effects weight gain/loss. Apparently hormones effecting your appetite (one that makes it stronger) are raised and ones that make you feel full are lowered when you get 6 hrs or less sleep a night. This is one article I've seen.

So my hubby and I are hoping to combat our everpresent state of sleep deprivation due to hectic lives and crazy schedules and actually try for more than 6 hrs of snoozing each night.

One thing I've seen when looking into insomnia (for self and hubby) and sleep disorders in general (hubby has sleep apnea) is that it helps to unwind and have a small routine you do just before bed to help get your mind off other things and ready to sleep.

So what do you do to unwind/get ready for bed?

We've been trying to avoid heavy/intense tv (horror/violent or disturbing movies, news etc. ) and I don't like to play my computer rpgs just before bed (end up having visions of them going through my dreams all night.. LOL) and I try to avoid having big meals later than a few hours before I'm going to bed.

All those things are supposed to help. I'm curious if you folks have other things you do and if you get anywhere near the 7-9 hrs of sleep a night that doctors and experts recommend?
Old 06-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
7-9 hours of sleep ? Sheesh, i hardly ever sleep longer than 5 hours or so. I usually go to bed between 3 and 4 AM, including on workdays, and i wake up around 9 AM, after which i usually stay in bed for half an hour to read a bit, before i get dressed to go to work. In the weekends i even sleep shorter, since i sometimes completely skip sleep completely on a fridaynight. I usually make up for that loss with a 2 hour siesta in the afternoon, which is usually enough for me.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I don't believe in sleep. I'll sleep when I'm dead! If you catch me sleeping for more than 7 hours, pour teaming coffee over me.
EDIT: But I do believe in meditation and relaxation. And standing naps. My theater class taught me that, you can stand and look at a person, and sleep at the same time. It's quite restful too!

[ 06-30-2006, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Bozos of Bones ]
Old 06-30-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

MMMM Well having a 4 year old and a 18 month. Sleep is something that is not regular. Between Sydney coming in to sleep with us and Hudson.

But A good stiff drink some times helps.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

A solid drink a couple of hours before bed time helps.

Also doing some exercise, lift a few weights, whatever, just to take some energy off.

I like my bedroom being cold, it's easier to find a ballence and gives insentive to curl up and lie still.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ack, nobody sleeps? LOL

Well, I'm going to experiment with getting some sleep- we'll see if it helps.. I know I'm a whole lot less grumpy with world when I do!
Old 06-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
I don't believe in sleep. I'll sleep when I'm dead! If you catch me sleeping for more than 7 hours, pour teaming coffee over me.
EDIT: But I do believe in meditation and relaxation. And standing naps. My theater class taught me that, you can stand and look at a person, and sleep at the same time. It's quite restful too!
Okay, I have to questions:
1) How can you concentrate enough for the meditation thingy?

2) How do you stand and nap? Sounds good though...

BTW I don't have any problems sleeping in any way (after disturbing movies, meals etc. etc.) but sometimes I just sleep for 2 hours and I'm still as energetic as always. Is this a sleeping disorder?

Note: This was THREE questions...
Old 06-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
Legolas
Jack Burton

I sleep...
But then I don't really have a lot of advice on offer. If I lay down on the bed I tend to be soundly asleep in short order regardless of any hours, gaming, reading or intake of nourishment. I do need at least 4 hours or I wake up worse then I went to bed, and if at all possible I aim for 7+ hours of it. No catnaps for me.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

In our house, I'm a night owl surrounded by morning glories. My wife goes to bed around 10-10:30, which gives me another 2-3 hours of downtime, which is usually computer gaming, general surfing, or playing the drums (electronic set, so I don't bother many people).

Then she gets up around 7AM, and for some reason, expects me to do the same thing! The nerve...

I'm usually good for about 5-6 hours of sleep a night... sometimes less, if I'm in a good game. I have noticed that I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat... comes in quite handy on airplanes, that one does. That's probably not good, in many ways.

On a side note, I did come across something that said that lack of sleep leads to high blood pressure and added pounds. And conversely, that if you got more sleep, both your weight and BP would go down. I'm not sure how true it is, but it might be worth a shot... someday...

Personally, I consider sleep to be practice for being dead... and I'm pretty good at it already
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Bithron:

1) How can you concentrate enough for the meditation thingy?

2) How do you stand and nap? Sounds good though...

3) I don't have any problems sleeping in any way but sometimes I just sleep for 2 hours and I'm still as energetic as always. Is this a sleeping disorder?
1) When atempting to meditate, most people fail because they try too hard. Also, it is easiest to accomplish after physical exertion. You should try that first, just to see how it feels like, and then you'll know what to look for. As corny as it may sound, answers will come by themselves.

2) Normally, when you sleep, your muscles are paralyzed. Long story. This is where the term Nightmare comes from: A demon comes in the night and possesses your body. Another long story. The easiest way to see this paralysis in effect is to try and sleep on your back. You can't stand and sleep without being tired, without needing rest. It's a form of auto-hypnosis, actually.

3) No. Normally, I am most well-rested and energetic after I sleep for a short time.