Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-25-2003, 10:51 AM   #1
Jorath Calar
Harper

Anyone here ever wanted to read the first issue of Superman?

well now you can

Very interesting... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 10:56 AM   #2
MagiK

Wooof! I had forgotten just how bad the writing was in the old comics, makes todays Marvel and DC products look like real literature.

Old 02-25-2003, 11:10 AM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I used to have one of the oversized reproductioncomics from the 70's they released to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Action #1.

It is amazing how far things have come in comics over the decades.

[ 02-25-2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 02-25-2003, 06:12 PM   #4
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sweet! [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] Good find man!
Old 02-25-2003, 06:51 PM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

wow, that's how the comic was drawn back then? really...ummm...ancient.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:11 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

used to be one of my favorites. my mother has that complete collection. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 02-26-2003, 01:32 AM   #7
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
Anyone here ever wanted to read the first issue of Superman?

well now you can

Very interesting... [img]smile.gif[/img]
I've got it on MicroFiche and have the collectors edition, but haven't been able to get a real copy of it yet. I do have Superman #4 though.

Superman #4

That's the farthest back I could find in my price range. The oldest copy I have is Action Comics #17.

Action Comics #17

I also have an Adventures comic that came out the same month as Action Comics #1 that has an ad for it on the 1st inside cover page.

Adventure Comics #27

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
used to be one of my favorites. my mother has that complete collection. [img]smile.gif[/img]
If that is true, then your mother has some money. The Action Comics # 1 is worth at minimum $20,000. There were 2 pages that went on e-Bay for 1200 dollars. If she has the whole collection, there is a ****load of money in them. That's even if the issues are not in the best shape. If they are in good shape, the price goes way up. Action comics # 1 in NM condition is worth $350,000. Superman #1 is worth $275,000.

[ 02-26-2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Tobbin ]
Old 02-26-2003, 08:18 PM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
If that is true, then your mother has some money. The Action Comics # 1 is worth at minimum $20,000. There were 2 pages that went on e-Bay for 1200 dollars. If she has the whole collection, there is a ****load of money in them. That's even if the issues are not in the best shape. If they are in good shape, the price goes way up. Action comics # 1 in NM condition is worth $350,000. Superman #1 is worth $275,000.
well i dont think it is in mint condition.. heck not even in best condition.. you see i was reading it when i was small and actually placed drawings on it. [img]smile.gif[/img] too bad after 15 years i found out the real value... i better ask my mom where the comics are anyway.

Catch me if you can..
Old 02-26-2003, 09:44 PM   #9
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I have all the weird super heroes that never made it big [img]tongue.gif[/img]

"NEW MAN #0!"

"GOLD MAN *1"

"THE WHEEL OF WORLDS! #0"

and the ever popular "LOBO! #1" [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I also have the whole Sonic the Hedgehog Collection

+ I have the only 3 comics where Superman changed his look, and I know a guy who has Spawn #1 O_o

*reads comic*

"man... and I thought my "black black the ddark void consumes me" was a bad first liner [img]tongue.gif[/img]

err... *continues reading* man superman shure is impolite... leaving the woman in ropes, busting dwon doors, carrying guys around without their will... >_>

wow the gun went off and made no sound *continues reading along*

Didn't it say that nothing LESS than a bullet could hurt him? Then how come bullets... oh forget it...

Just tell me when Kryptonite comes in...

He's on the side of law and order so he... eh forget it...

... a wife beating... whatever happened to volcanoes and? errr... dont question a...

... O_o ? OOH now Klark playing off that he's a coward, THATS a good idea

Hm... I see the irony but... it seems to be... AH there we go lets invoulve the mob!

ah and the gang just HAPPENS to kidnap the VERY girl that Superman likes! whoda' thunk it...

and let me guess, had it been any other girl she'dve just ended up like Shandra leevy?

hmm OH so that's why he's smashing the car on the cover... now it makes since...

Wow...

SO when did "Action Comics" decide to become "DC" anyway?

*shrug* eyah well it was an interesting time that's for sure...

O-o Yes superman.. .birds do sit on powerlines, and how much do you..

Washington DC? What happened to Metropolis?

... wow... that was pretty neat... now lets see what other comics wre in here that didnt end up being famouse with Videogames and TV series and Movies and Multiple actors all playing the same character, oh and three no maybe 4 cartoon shows, can't leave those out, and the underwear, and merchendising [img]tongue.gif[/img]

well anyway...

Wow... Chuck Dawson... so this is what people had before Cowboy beebop manga... welll no wonder it bombed they forgot to use ink ! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

and next we have... some dudes on a boat... wooheee...

and thats then folowed by...

another Cowboy... in color this time...

and top it oiff with some old movie trivia that's now ont even trivia and finally end it all with a traditional style comic thats done well at some parts and incredibly sketchy at others AND Lou Gehrig!

Man steroids back then must've really deformed the fac...

Oh and then the back cover has the most detail of everything in the entire comic, how sensibile... and its got some advertisments like a magazine..

wow... nifty...

I wonder if you can still order those 25 dollar Yacht caps...

All in all, a very handy dandy production with alot of possibilities, and a good future ahead of it, though only one comic out of all the others in there eventually would become sucessful.. maybe its because sometimes modern life when made amazing looks more amazing than um.. fake history? I dunnow [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway... WOohoo..?

*applause*
Old 02-26-2003, 09:58 PM   #10
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Well, you have to remember when this comic came out, there weren't any superheroes. The depression was on and publishers were trying to come up with diversions. The rest of the backup stories in Action #1 were the typical type of stories that were coming out at the time. As for how Superman dealt with the law, you have to remember that young adults wrote the stories. This was how they wanted to deal with authority figures that they had no impact on. To many kids, Superman became a symbol of a rage or helplessness they couldn't control. They watched as he did what he wanted with hardly any repurcussions (sp?) It was deep into the 2nd DECADE that the storylines started to clean up. There were a few attempts here and there, but for the most part, Superman became the idolized Vigilante. When Batman came out, the publishers realized that they had to wield the storylines in a commited way to their readers. Kids were easy to influence. To write a story that didn't cater to that type of understanding was considered bad taste. Eventually, it got to the point that the Comics Code Authority was born. Back then, Superman didn't take any guff or think about what would happen from his actions, today, he is written to take as much into effect as possible, since everyone now realizes that kids take some of the messages literally. He is but a shadow of what he once was. But an icon for the ages.