Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2000, 02:43 AM   #1
Elowin
Welcomed New User

Rather then spending an hour or more to dramatically increase my characters gold supply I tried searching through both a saved game and (putting the characters in the Roster first) the Roster.dat file using DiskEdit to know avail. I knew the character and gold value and searched several ways but failed to find the gold. As a result I could not increase its value--so I have lost a lot of time tonight.

I hope there will be a simple explanation I can employ but I need some clues. Thank you.
Elowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 04:49 AM   #2
xenotoca

look at this site for a good explanation of the bugs you can exploit including the gold cheat

http://www.tk421.net/wizardry/
Old 12-09-2000, 11:25 AM   #3
Laurence
Welcomed New User

Diskedit for gold? Needless complex - I just go to the Dojo and buy special arrows in the guild, then sell them back to him in the shop. It isn't even cheating, as my characters are all quite intelligent enough to realise that if the idiot sells for half the price he buys then they are not at fault if they take advantage of the fact. Rolepaying, innit?
Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 06:10 PM   #4
Regis
Welcomed New User

Gold and experience (and who knows what else) were not 'obviously' written out in the files...there's a trick to figuring out where they are. I checked because I can't help trying to figure out how they formatted the info records...I believe it to be a minor curse that goes with learing programming.
Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 06:32 PM   #5
Elowin
Welcomed New User

I resolved the gold problem by exploiting a gold bug I had not tried that doubled the amount each time. It would have been more fun to have hex edited the file though. I have never played a game with so many none fatal bugs of this sort in it. And the NPC talking in the towns is really a pain. Well, for all that trouble I have over 5,000,000 in gold now so that should last even if I apply the patch when it comes out--which I think I read was momentarily. Let's move on...
Old 12-09-2000, 06:59 PM   #6
Jungwirsch

Heck, that is such a foreign concept to me. I don't know if I'm dumb or what, but the game wouldn't be fun to me if I'd exploit things like that. I want to beat the game the programmers meant me to, not exploit errors they made in programming. I'd feel cheap. Just personal opinion, I guess.
Old 12-10-2000, 12:45 AM   #7
thoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah, why don't you just hexedit the game to run you through the finishing sequence?
thoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2000, 07:50 PM   #8
PuterGeek

For those of us that want to "role-play" as a rich elf...could you please tell us what the bug is that doubles your money?
Old 12-11-2000, 08:27 PM   #9
Elowin
Welcomed New User

Sure why not. I couldn't get into worse trouble with those who prefer to play poor employ much strategy. I try to focus on the adventure and not the strategy and I love games that give me that option one way or the other. Credit for this gold-doubling cheat though goes to whomever posted it on tk421.net/wizardry, which is where I got it after trying several other more 'painful' cheats for Adrenaline Vault. WARNING, if you have already applied the recent patch I doubt this cheat will work. This is because I can't imagine that patch not addressing the numerous gold cheat problems the game had to take advantage of.

I will present it now for more clarity purhaps:

You need at least two in your party and one with some coins. Take the party out of town...then reenter town...then enter the Inn...then transfer all the coins from the member who has them to one who has none...then remove the party member who entered the Inn with the coins (he/she now does not have them)...then add that member back into the party...then go to the member who has the coins and "pool" them again--bingo, they just double...then leave the Inn and village...reenter town...enter the Inn...and so on. With over 890,000 coins I will probably last the rest of the game with more then enough--even though I lost 5,000,000 I put in the bank when I installed the patch.
Old 12-12-2000, 12:06 AM   #10
Lily the Ranger

Okay, maybe I am just too simple to comprehend . . . why would I want a patch to fix cheats? I am quite sentimental about ladders . . . they brought me to the forum. But I am with Scronan on this . . . these are not bugs, they are bonuses that people can chose if they desire. Game kind of loses its challenge for me but for others exploiting these things are the kick. If they wanted to get on our good side wouldn't they focus on stuck toads, crashes, etc? I am puzzled. OK, we've given you a flawed game, you've waited breathlessly for a patch and we are certainly going to fix all those nasty little ?bugs?. I don't use 'em myself but it seems more like a penalty than an offer of reconcilliation. Sorry, I just don't get it.