Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

Hi everyone,

I know this question has probably been asked time and time again over the years but just to spark a bit of life back into these forums, a simple question.

What is your ultimate character. class/race/proficiency/strategy.

Perhaps a top if you can't pick just one?

I have three that i'd like to share that i seem to bring up quite regularly lol.

#1 melee:
dwarf
bezerker (battle rager)
strategy: start with +++++ axe and shield. move to dual axes, frost reaver and stone fire, then eventually move to axe of unyielding and crom fayer.
NOTE: passing BG1 means you get 20 Con = regen for dwaves and also the highest HP of any race, beside half-orcs and also +1 DEX means +1 AC. Dwarves also have the best saving throws in the game. All round, you have a char with 25 str, 4 attacks per round (5 if you use the grand mastery patch [img]smile.gif[/img] ), can wear the best armor, has the highest HP of any class/race and kick ar*e spell resistance... what more could you possibly want in a tank!?

#1 ranged:
elf
fighter (standard class)
strategy: quick swap bows and swords. Works great through BG1 and 2. Elves naturally get +1 longsword and +1 long bow, but you may want to use two handed swords (or any two handed weapon) instead. Start with +++++ longbows and the rest in swords and work your way back up. If you go with longsword you get +2 AC from single wield bonus or you can go for more power with a two handed melee. This is more viable than the Archer class as you wear better armor, can attack melee well and have the same attacks per round... Archer is ok as a support but this is a better PC or solo.
NOTE: Pass BG1 to get 20 dex ... nasty bonuses with bow. the +1 con helps make up on the HP short comings that you would normally have if you simply started BG2 with 17 con.

#1 magic:
human
necromancer
strategy: i've chosen necromancer here because it is the least restrictive in my opinion. The only spells you miss out on are mirror image and simuclum. 90% of the powerful spells are necromancy and i've soloed the entire saga with this class. You need max str, dex, con and int (rest in cha) to do this and use slings to kite around on early levels in BG1.
NOTE: i have a strategy that can kill nearly any group of enemies in one attack and even the final boss of the game in one attack. I don't know if i'm the first to discover it but i named it the Time Stop Assault (TSA). It works by casting improved alacrity (which allows connected casting, without the pause) followed by a time stop and the correct spells.

Preperation: have your triggers and sequences loaded as follows
minor seq: x3 Magic Missles
spell seq: x3 skull trap
spell trig: x3 lower resist

Now remove the sequencer spells and replace them, insuring you have these:
- Max Horrid Wilting Spells
- Have one dragon's breath
- have at least 2 lower resist
- three animate dead spells
- one greater malison

NO CONTINGENCY SPELLS NEEDED

-=Battle Starts=-
Cast alacrity (the moment this spell is cast you can immediately cast again)
Cast time stop (now pause the instant you cast each spell to make the most of it)
Spell trigger (x3 lower resist on the boss/powerful enemy)
Lower resist (on any other enemies that will likely resist ADHW)
ADWH (cast six horrid wilting in the middle of the croud [this does the damage])
Greater malison
skull trap sequencer (at boss/powerful enemy/s)
Dragon's breath (at powerful enemies to knock them over if this doesn't kill them to give you some advantage)

Now back away from the dragon's fire and skulltraps and cast your three skeleton warriors, just incase you didn't own an enemy back to the stone age

Sorry if i hammed on here but i love hearing about other people's favourite strategies and classes [img]smile.gif[/img] i just thought i'd share mine.

Please share!

Hopefully Six of Spades makes a visit

[ 04-13-2007, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Rockstar ]
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
No question. Elven sorceror with maxed-out Dexterity, Intelligence, and Wisdom.

The only problem with that is that the game gets a bit too easy after a while...

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:

The only problem with that is that the game gets a bit too easy after a while...
Intelligence is not needed by a Sorcerer, save for one dialogue in the game. If you want to "pass" that dialogue, you will need 13 INT. Otherwise, 10 INT is more than enough for a Sorcerer. Heck... if you play with the BGT-mod, and start a Sorcerer from BG1, then you only need a starting INT of 08.

Ideally speaking, if you create an Elven Sorcerer in BG1, the following will more than suffice.

STR: 12
CON: 15
DEX: 19
INT: 10
WIS: 15
CHA: 18

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:55 AM   #4
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Right. I was, uh, just kidding. And, um, testing you. Er... You passed! Congratulations.

I have to go now.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:00 AM   #5
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:

Intelligence is not needed by a Sorcerer, save for one dialogue in the game. If you want to "pass" that dialogue, you will need 13 INT. Otherwise, 10 INT is more than enough for a Sorcerer. Heck... if you play with the BGT-mod, and start a Sorcerer from BG1, then you only need a starting INT of 08.

Ideally speaking, if you create an Elven Sorcerer in BG1, the following will more than suffice.

STR: 12
CON: 15
DEX: 19
INT: 10
WIS: 15
CHA: 18

Cheers.
[/QUOTE]That said, who can stand the thought of a dumbass sorceror pc in a roleplaying game?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:59 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

10 is NOT dumb (good grief, 10 INT is considered above average already). A better question would be, which benign DM would allow you to mini-max stats at will in a RPG?

Cheers.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Quote:
10 is NOT dumb (good grief, 10 INT is considered above average already). A better question would be, which benign DM would allow you to mini-max stats at will in a RPG?

Cheers.
...One that takes advantage of your weaknesses? Blatant advantages and minimises your strengths? [img]graemlins/littleangel.gif[/img]
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Calaethis Dragonsbane:
...One that takes advantage of your weaknesses? Blatant advantages and minimises your strengths? [img]graemlins/littleangel.gif[/img]
I fail to see how that makes him a benign DM. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Natch.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:

Cheers.
But since the society is mostly pseudo-medieval, the average is rather low.

In any case, dumbass might not be the best word to describe a low INT score. Take Ignus for example. Quite obviously mad, and cannot have a coherent conversation about anything but fire, but still has an intelligence of 18. And on the other hand, paladins with intelligence as their dump stat but a decent WIS and CHA can still appear quite smart.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Greasel:
quote:

Cheers.
But since the society is mostly pseudo-medieval, the average is rather low.
[/QUOTE]Son, you obviously don't understand what intelligence means. The fact that they were less technically advanced doesn't tell anything about their intelligence.