Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Not Even a Peanut

Not Even a Peanut
By ALEXANDER COCKBURN

A friend down the coast here in California called Wednesday to say that her mother, 95, had fallen, cracked her ribs, got a cough and told her daughters, “That’s it. I’m checking out.” She’s given up eating. I remembered all the arguments I’d had down the years with the old lady – a perennial optimist about Democrats when it came to assessing the likelihood that Carter or Clinton or Obama would ever actually serve up the progressive banquets they’d pledged on the campaign trail.

“Tell your mother that at least she won’t have to put up with me saying ‘I told you so, about Obama.’” Her daughter gave a deep, sad sigh. She too has been a loyal liberal Democrat all her life and now, she said, Obama’s breaking her heart. So many high hopes, and there’s a man accepting the Peace Prize with one hand, while signing deployment orders with the other, sending 30,000 more young soldiers to Afghanistan.

(Snipped, so the snivels will not drip)

http://www.counterpunch.org/

Very good article in many ways.

I find that I agree with several of the main points, including the part of sending in more troops.
*Send the troops, allow the Generals to operate, but don't tie their hands with personal political agenda as the precursor. We all know 2012 will be a voting year.

*Yet one receives the peace prize, but does not partake in the festivities? Classic American arrogance, but supplemented by announcing your sending 30K soldiers to war. A new point in history!

*If an elderly person chooses to stop eating, how can government health-care "save" her?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Zartan

Default Re: Not Even a Peanut

We all know by now there is NOTHING Obama can do to make a certain portion of people happy and about that same portion of people will say ANYTHING (including invoking an image of the elderly starving) to make Obama look bad.

That about sums up that article and the terribly designed website it's posted at.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Let me tell you what I do know about Obama. As somebody that lives on disability, and has Medicare/Medicaid to pay my prescription costs, getting a letter in the mail that my prescription costs will double next year is really nice. Where's that money going? I'd bet it's going to Health Insurance Reform. Now, my prescription costs, to date, won't cripple me, but I can't help thinking about all those little old couples that may pay out 5x as much as I do, and wondering how they are supposed to pay for that? We can gild the lily as much as we like, but that doesn't mean that there are serious issues concerning this reform, that won't be addressed.

I'm lucky, I have Medicare and Medicaid. That fact means that I won't have to worry about facing a fine, or jail time because I can't afford health insurance. My neighbor across the way, with three kids they can barely keep fed may not be so lucky. So, if they pass this, and the parents end up in jail, who's taking care of their kids? You are, as tax payers. I don't make enough money on disability to pay taxes, so I won't have to pay for it, but this scenario will become common. It may not be an every day, week or month thing, but it will happen often enough that it will become an issue.

The sad thing is, that it's still debated as Health Care reform, even though they aren't actually reforming health care, just insurance.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Surprised Man Re: Not Even a Peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
Let me tell you what I do know about Obama. As somebody that lives on disability, and has Medicare/Medicaid to pay my prescription costs, getting a letter in the mail that my prescription costs will double next year is really nice. Where's that money going? I'd bet it's going to Health Insurance Reform. Now, my prescription costs, to date, won't cripple me, but I can't help thinking about all those little old couples that may pay out 5x as much as I do, and wondering how they are supposed to pay for that? We can gild the lily as much as we like, but that doesn't mean that there are serious issues concerning this reform, that won't be addressed.

I'm lucky, I have Medicare and Medicaid. That fact means that I won't have to worry about facing a fine, or jail time because I can't afford health insurance. My neighbor across the way, with three kids they can barely keep fed may not be so lucky. So, if they pass this, and the parents end up in jail, who's taking care of their kids? You are, as tax payers. I don't make enough money on disability to pay taxes, so I won't have to pay for it, but this scenario will become common. It may not be an every day, week or month thing, but it will happen often enough that it will become an issue.

The sad thing is, that it's still debated as Health Care reform, even though they aren't actually reforming health care, just insurance.
Our insurance rates did triple last year and doubled this year. Things are tough in the private sector as well.

I'm convinced we have all been snookered by the insurance industry as well as the government into paying at least 30% more than we have to just to support the beauracracy. Easy answers not available.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I have an easy two word answer, but it won't solve anything, but it will make me feel better, or at least make me laugh for a while. Hey, feds, "Bite me.".... See, I feel better, nothing is fixed, but I feel better.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
We all know by now there is NOTHING Obama can do to make a certain portion of people happy and about that same portion of people will say ANYTHING (including invoking an image of the elderly starving) to make Obama look bad.

That about sums up that article and the terribly designed website it's posted at.
Wow, and that article is a true story, and the web-site set-up is for quick go, not a pretty show.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

Happy Laughing Re: Not Even a Peanut

The best part of that whole article is the author's last name!!!!

Second best is a conservative complaining that Obama isn't liberal enough. That's desperation (to get a punch in) at it's finest!

SRSLY that wasn't an attempt at hyperbolic reverse-polarity political satire done in the style of Frontpage 98?

Last edited by Chewbacca; 12-12-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
The best part of that whole article is the author's last name!!!!

Second best is a conservative complaining that Obama isn't liberal enough. That's desperation (to get a punch in) at it's finest!

SRSLY that wasn't an attempt at hyperbolic reverse-polarity political satire done in the style of Frontpage 98?
Cockburn has a long history of writing about semitism and anti-semitism. I have even read one of his books; Idle Passion: Chess and the Dance of Death. The book has a lot about former world chess champion (and renowned nutbar) Robert J. Fischer. I recommend reading it.

As to Cockburn's other politics, he's pretty much a mixed bag. "Libertarian" comes closest IMO, though he would probably resist being tagged with that.

I suspect that Felix was right about BO, however. I had hoped BO would rise above being a Chicago Machine Politician, but I don't guess he will. He's won the Peace Prize AND caught *leader-of-the-free-world-itis* so he has ALREADY become worried about his precious "legacy"!

Why the hell do we always get stuck propping up corrupt regimes so the Halliburton's of the world can make their damn percentage??

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

OMFG what a surname!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Lest ye forget his brother then:

Wall Street Snaps Its Fingers
By ANDREW COCKBURN

Washington DC

http://www.counterpunch.org/andrew12082009.html

At first I was concerned about you EB. Typing that you read one of their books, then I realized it was authored in 74, when he was young, liberal, and yet un-fooled by politicians.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen